The Craigslist Thread

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Speaking of big labels, I see a used board model I want to try, in my stock dims... but it has a professionally repaired buckle about 18-24" from the nose. It looks almost new, otherwise. I'm trying to convince myself it's far enough up (not under front foot), that it's unlikely to buckle again and the repair wouldn't significantly affect the way it surfs. It would be a board I would only want to ride chest- to head-high + (so not that often here). At 30-40% of the new price, wouldn't it be worth it to try out the model before ordering a custom? Am I fooling myself? sigh

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Personally wouldn’t do it. It’s one thing to try and save a magic board, or if you’re surfing somewhere heavy and need the boards. But I wouldn’t buy one in your situation.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
In my experience, PU's seem to lose their pop in 4-9 months depending how much you're riding the board and that's due to the wood stringer eventually losing its initial flex characteristics. Most buckles affect the stringer's flex even if there isn't noticeable damage to the stringer. If you're buying the board second-hand after a repair, you obviously don't have the ability to compare the original flex to the repaired version's feel, but I think you're almost always getting a board that performs/flexes less than optimum.

Reactions: oeste858

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
7'3" quad mini glider jam. If I didn't have a big paddle trim machine coming, I'd consider this one. Funny that they call Dave "Hawaiian".

Not a bad deal on a 6"10" retro gun

For all the CI Rubble worry worts out there. For the money, it's not a bad deal

Plus size Stretch Fans

DT Scorpion. Do people actually like these?

Some 90's charger is quitting his big wave career.

Pretty epic little Album

And one for the rich kids

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Speaking of big labels, I see a used board model I want to try, in my stock dims... but it has a professionally repaired buckle about 18-24" from the nose. It looks almost new, otherwise. I'm trying to convince myself it's far enough up (not under front foot), that it's unlikely to buckle again and the repair wouldn't significantly affect the way it surfs. It would be a board I would only want to ride chest- to head-high + (so not that often here). At 30-40% of the new price, wouldn't it be worth it to try out the model before ordering a custom? Am I fooling myself? sigh
Buckled boards are dead.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
DT Scorpion. Do people actually like these?
I had one for a bit, off the tail it was a fun board especially with the quad setup. I was thinking it was gonna be a mini noserider, you could cheater five on it, but overall it wasn't very exciting.