grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
my mint is going bonkers so much that I had to prune it back

I need something to make with it...was considering learning how to make
spring rolls
Mint Julips

Can also steep chopped mint with hot simple syrup right after you brew it up, but if I run out I put put chopped mint at the bottom of a metal cup and do a 2:1 whiskey:syrup ratio

Best drink EVAR

Reactions: Mr Doof

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The mint tea served anywhere and everywhere in Morocco is insane. I wish I had a mint Bush.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Sorry there are no measurements. I eyeball it in the Vitamix. Something like:
- tons of fresh mint leaves
- Juice one big meyer lemon
- vinegar (I used coconut vinegar this time)
- walnut oil (probably 2x more than vinegar)
- good spoonful of mustard (Edmond Fallot!!)
maybe some pepper
blitz it for about a minute
That sounds good.

Been using pomegranate vinegar in salad dressing lately cuz we just have it for some reason. Good stuff!

The mint tea served anywhere and everywhere in Morocco is insane. I wish I had a mint Bush.
Just stop waxing for a few months.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Mint grows like a weed, literally. You can grow it in a crack in your driveway.
I had to create a physical barrier to pre-empt the runners

it's insidious

I have a potted philodendron that is putting runners out and around
the house along the street....fkn creepy

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Yup. Just buy one plant and you're good.
My neighbor has a bush and it's always growing under the fence and spreading in my yard.
Lots of different kinds of mint too, so no buying the wrong type...advise tasting a leaf before buying. Don't trust the label blindly, verify with the senses/

Reactions: Boneroni

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
breakfast sando two ways

toasted sourdough, prosciutto, burrata, basil, hawaiian sea salt
toasted sourdough, fried egg, bacon, yellow boy tomato, minced serrano, hawaiian sea salt

I'm goingbacktobed now....

bsan.png

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Mint grows like a weed, literally. You can grow it in a crack in your driveway.
This patch comes up every spring/summer. Stuck a old stem in dirt, and there you go. The deer, which normally eat everything, don't share the erbb affinity for mint. Have used in drinks, steeped in cream/milk mix for mint choc ice cream, salads, and candied.
IMG_2004.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Lots of different kinds of mint too, so no buying the wrong type...advise tasting a leaf before buying. Don't trust the label blindly, verify with the senses/
Funny you say this. My GF just planted some mint seeds this spring and now that they're up they really don't have much of a minty smell or taste. I think they were labeled as peppermint. We were hoping to dry the leaves make our own herbal tea but I guess we'll have to figure out something else to do. Maybe rioting or kicking puppies, haven't decided yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Funny you say this. My GF just planted some mint seeds this spring and now that they're up they really don't have much of a minty smell or taste. I think they were labeled as peppermint. We were hoping to dry the leaves make our own herbal tea but I guess we'll have to figure out something else to do. Maybe rioting or kicking puppies, haven't decided yet.
I noticed that with peppermint too. I think spearmint is the typical mint that you are thinking of. Which is weird because it's my least favorite mint in gum/breathmints etc, but fresh it's amazeballs

Reactions: Aruka

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I noticed that with peppermint too. I think spearmint is the typical mint that you are thinking of. Which is weird because it's my least favorite mint in gum/breathmints etc, but fresh it's amazeballs
Yeah, spearmint is the commonly used mint in tea and savory foods, peppermint is used more in dessert and candy.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
For Enframed...

just made pesto today, with my abundance of basil. have discovered over the years that pesto is better when it's made 50/50 with baby spinach leaves. have also wondered about using other herbs in place of the basil (e.g. dill, cilantro, oregano) and would it still be pesto at that point?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
just made pesto today, with my abundance of basil. have discovered over the years that pesto is better when it's made 50/50 with baby spinach leaves. have also wondered about using other herbs in place of the basil (e.g. dill, cilantro, oregano) and would it still be pesto at that point?
stinging nettle pesto can be phenomenal

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've made some good cilantro pesto. I used walnuts instead of pine nuts because I'm cheap. I'm not sure if it's still technically a pesto at that point but whatever.

My mom used to always make big batches of pesto when the basil was going off and then she'd freeze it in little mason jars to have a supply for the year.

You could probably do the same with chimichurri, which is more of my jam.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Mexican.

Really good Mexican food. What I crave right now the most.

A lot of the local Carnicerias are still open. Went by one of my favorites last week. 20+ hombres standing outside in a line. Waiting to get let in. No social distancing, half of them did not have masks.

I want to eat good Mexican food but I don't wan't to end up dying in the process.

Chile Verde... If you have the real deal, give it up.