The Corona Cuisine Thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
same here. clams are a bitch to open. sometimes if i have a big batch, i'll TRY to open each one, with about a 50% success rate. so the ones i manage to pop open get eaten raw, the rest make a batch of white clam sauce

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
same here. clams are a bitch to open. sometimes if i have a big batch, i'll TRY to open each one, with about a 50% success rate. so the ones i manage to pop open get eaten raw, the rest make a batch of white clam sauce
The fatal mistake is to not dunk them or run them under cold water because they'll clamp shut like a butthole in cold water if that happens put it aside and move on to the next clam. Also there's a side of the shell that has a bigger groove to get into. Still I think with my shitty vision I have a hard time with it and end up chipping the shells apart. Oysters I can do almost without looking while having a good time talking to others. Clams require all of my focus and take a lot more time. The funny thing when I go pick up bulk oysters in Matunuck I'll usually buy a round for the guys doing the shucking all day at the raw bar and chat them up and they all insist the clams are easier and they'd rather open clams all day than oysters.

Reactions: the janitor

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Man, this pandemic has made us such better and more creative cooks. We got some celery at the farmer's market last weekend and it had a lot of greens on the tips. I noticed they look a lot like parsley. So I say hey wife doesn't this look like parsley and she says yeah man, looks like parsley. The she goes and looks up celery leaves/greens and how to use them and the internet cook thing says use 'em just like you would GODDAMN PARSLEY! So she looks up on the googley thing and then so she makes a celery green and scallion soup with a little labneh to thicken it and I'm eating it chilled and man this is killer.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The fatal mistake is to not dunk them or run them under cold water because they'll clamp shut like a butthole in cold water if that happens put it aside and move on to the next clam. Also there's a side of the shell that has a bigger groove to get into. Still I think with my shitty vision I have a hard time with it and end up chipping the shells apart. Oysters I can do almost without looking while having a good time talking to others. Clams require all of my focus and take a lot more time. The funny thing when I go pick up bulk oysters in Matunuck I'll usually buy a round for the guys doing the shucking all day at the raw bar and chat them up and they all insist the clams are easier and they'd rather open clams all day than oysters.
Spot on. You try not to wake em up so to speak, and try not to chip that damn edge, cause if you do you’re done lol. But yeah man some folks can shuck a hundred of them, blindfolded, without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: $kully

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Man, this pandemic has made us such better and more creative cooks. We got some celery at the farmer's market last weekend and it had a lot of greens on the tips. I noticed they look a lot like parsley. So I say hey wife doesn't this look like parsley and she says yeah man, looks like parsley. The she goes and looks up celery leaves/greens and how to use them and the internet cook thing says use 'em just like you would GODDAMN PARSLEY! So she looks up on the googley thing and then so she makes a celery green and scallion soup with a little labneh to thicken it and I'm eating it chilled and man this is killer.
I use the celery greens in everything I use the celery for

I usually save it close to the end just like you would any herb

they are more mild and sweet than parsely

also, lebneh is the shizzzzz

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My mother taught me to use Celery tips in all of the old family Jewish soup recipes for flavor. Almost every soup starts with carrots, celery and Onions. If I’m doing a chicken soup I make an herb bundle with fresh parsley, celery tips and dill that gets tossed in for the last hour.

Also beet greens can be better than beets!

And my girlfriend has made a killer pesto sauce with carrot greens.

It’s actually pretty amazing how much good useful food Americans tend to waste.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
My mother taught me to use Celery tips in all of the old family Jewish soup recipes for flavor. Almost every soup starts with carrots, celery and Onions. If I’m doing a chicken soup I make an herb bundle with fresh parsley, celery tips and dill that gets tossed in for the last hour.

Also beet greens can be better than beets!

And my girlfriend has made a killer pesto sauce with carrot greens.

It’s actually pretty amazing how much good useful food Americans tend to waste.
Beet greens are fantastic, indeed, better than beets, IMO. Carrot greens are great too. I'm interested in the pesto recipe, or is it just sub one for the other type deal?

Usually celery at the supermarket has so few greens, it just never occurred to me to use them, but this bunch had a bunch.

I just learned that you can take the end of your scallions and stick them in water and they'll grow back, you can do this once or twice. Fucking nature.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
^^ Works with most veg. Tried it with garlic, lettuce, onions and green onions, potato... my mom used to do it with twigs from plants she walked by and liked, and the thing is sprouting within a week most of time.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Beet greens are fantastic, indeed, better than beets, IMO. Carrot greens are great too. I'm interested in the pesto recipe, or is it just sub one for the other type deal?

Usually celery at the supermarket has so few greens, it just never occurred to me to use them, but this bunch had a bunch.

I just learned that you can take the end of your scallions and stick them in water and they'll grow back, you can do this once or twice. Fucking nature.
Our kitchen window...

image.jpg

Scallions and a leek. Already harvested the scallions twice. They start losing their flavor after a few rounds. But it’s super easy. Get 2-3 harvests out of a bundle from the store and repeat.

Reactions: rts265 and Boneroni

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've been doing little gem heart salads with arugula sprouts, avo, shaved almonds, dried cherries, feta, and dressing with about a full cup of mint leaves everyday for lunch or dinner. F'ing bomb. Mint dressing is f'ing bomb.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I've been doing little gem heart salads with arugula sprouts, avo, shaved almonds, dried cherries, feta, and dressing with about a full cup of mint leaves everyday for lunch or dinner. F'ing bomb. Mint dressing is f'ing bomb.
Deboned chicken stuffed with mustard and tarragon has been drying in the fridge since Sunday. Maybe time to cook that tonight before it gets funky.
Blueberry-ginger and cherry-vanilla-ginger water kefir stockpile is adding up rapidly in Grolsch style fliptop bottles. Easier and less messy than booch (and not $4/bottle like k-vita)

mint dressing recipe por favor.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
mint dressing recipe por favor.
Sorry there are no measurements. I eyeball it in the Vitamix. Something like:
- tons of fresh mint leaves
- Juice one big meyer lemon
- vinegar (I used coconut vinegar this time)
- walnut oil (probably 2x more than vinegar)
- good spoonful of mustard (Edmond Fallot!!)
maybe some pepper
blitz it for about a minute

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my mint is going bonkers so much that I had to prune it back

I need something to make with it...was considering learning how to make
spring rolls

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
my mint is going bonkers so much that I had to prune it back

I need something to make with it...was considering learning how to make
spring rolls
do it. spring rolls aren't that difficult and even though they are a little time consuming and will look like sh1t the first few times they will still be delicious.

plus you will get to learn to make peanut sauce. make a double batch, that stuff is good on everything.

Last edited: