The Collapse of Managerialism

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This guy was an Army staff NCO who stopped blogging about 5 years ago. It's interesting to watch how he did on his forecasts. He discusses toxic leadership and narcissism in the Army which is very much in line with what I saw with Naval officers:
Thirdly, is my own experience. In my entire life as a professional, I have never met a higher rate of narcissistic personalities than in the US Army’s officer and NCO Corp. It’s now come to light that the narcissistic personality trait is at the core of toxic leadership. This is perfectly in line with my observations in the Army and also my assessment of where our society is headed. The Army is a great microcosm for almost any society, as the values held most dear and the traits most endemic reveal themselves explicitly in the military. Studies show and my own personal experience indicates that people in college and those that are not far removed from college have very elitist attitudes and think they’re better than others around them and in past generations.
To a great extent, people who think they're better are promoted faster because they mirror the narcissism of executives higher up the chain. Upper mgmt simply likes the cut of your jib if you think more highly of yourself even if your peers want to see you thrown out of a helicopter. He quotes Steve Denning of Forbes who describes the effects of these narcissists on corporations:
Are the people who lead these 20th Century bureaucracies incompetent? When it comes to C-suite teams who don’t perceive that the world has changed and who try to cope with the new demands of the marketplace by pressing the bureaucracy to run harder, the answer is yes. They are incompetent leaders for the 21st Century. They don’t understand what it takes to succeed in their jobs. Comprehensive studies, such as Deloitte’s Shift Indexshow that they are running their organizations faster and faster into the ground.
And through their incompetence, pursuing bureaucratic management instead of radical management, these leaders are causing massive damage to the economy on a daily basis and to the lives of people who depend on them: Why Amazon Can’t Make A Kindle In The USA.
Denning goes on to write:

What’s striking about the list is that these relatively high level people are imprisoned in hierarchical bureaucracies. They see little point in what they are doing. The organizations they work for don’t know where they are going, and as a result, neither do these people. {PRCD: neither do the employees after awhile. The emperor has no clothes. Keep reading}
The even sadder part of the story is that the organizations they work for are going down the tubes. Deloitte’s Center for the Edge studies show that the life expectancy of a firm in the Fortune 500 has declined from around 75 years half a century ago to less than 15 years and is heading towards 5 years. The pointlessness that these people see in their jobs is an accurate reflection of the deteriorating condition of the firms they work for. When those doing the work are dispirited, it is inevitable that customers too will be frustrated and that the firm will not prosper.
In aviation this is called "C-FIT", pronounced "See Fit:" controlled flight into terrain.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
This guy was an Army staff NCO who stopped blogging about 5 years ago. It's interesting to watch how he did on his forecasts. He discusses toxic leadership and narcissism in the Army which is very much in line with what I saw with Naval officers:

To a great extent, people who think they're better are promoted faster because they mirror the narcissism of executives higher up the chain. Upper mgmt simply likes the cut of your jib if you think more highly of yourself even if your peers want to see you thrown out of a helicopter. He quotes Steve Denning of Forbes who describes the effects of these narcissists on corporations:

In aviation this is called "C-FIT", pronounced "See Fit:" controlled flight into terrain.
You think you're better than us, don't you?

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

In today's show Chris presents a book review published in First Things. The title of the review is "Postconstitutional America" and the book being reviewed is "The Stakes: America at the Point of No Return" by Michael Anton. The review can serve as an introduction to Leo Stauss and his followers, particularly the west coast Straussians of the Claremont Institute. These thinkers contend that America is experiencing a crisis of two constitutions--the original constitution of 1787 and what has been overlaid on it--the unwritten progressive constitution of expertise. These two constitutions emerge from two different philosophies and understandings of history and the nature of freedom and rights. If you've listened to the show before, you know that the Pugsters had plenty to grumble about--especially about the rise of the cult of expertise.
:32 in.

Last edited: