The COIL review thread

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My understanding is that smooth is an option, but not sure if there is an upcharge. Best to ask Kirk.

The dimpled ones are coming out insane. Tech is super dialed. Not sure I would use it for a PNW step up or anything but it’s amazing in my buddy‘s grovel board.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I quite liked the dimpled Coil that I had.

Nothing wrong with the tech in my book.

What don't people like about it?
Tech is amazing. There are folks who really liked the predimpled tech and want at the least the option to use that smooth tech for certain builds.

Reactions: jkb

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
5'8 x 19.2 x 2.3 x ~28L

I'm not sure what it is -- might be a wider wider board or based off that. I just told him what I was thinking and sent him a couple pictures from his instagram, and he sent me a design draw-up with this.

Board works.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I had a couple OG pre dimpletech coils and they were epic. Super bombproof and a nice weight. Ordered a custom 3 pack right when they switched to the dimple build. They felt a little too light and not as robust. I busted one in half on my 3rd session. I wasnt overly bummed or anything but I never ordered another one.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I had a couple OG pre dimpletech coils and they were epic. Super bombproof and a nice weight. Ordered a custom 3 pack right when they switched to the dimple build. They felt a little too light and not as robust. I busted one in half on my 3rd session. I wasnt overly bummed or anything but I never ordered another one.
Was a Coil disciple till my first dimple tech exploded on a duck dive (overhead wave mind you) on my first session. Kirk made it right, but havent gone back.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
This new one has the dimples, but they seem a little more subtle than prior ones I've had. I dropped the last one on concrete, directly onto the rail -- only got a scratch.

With this new one, I've already bonked it into a metal pole and a car door with no damage.

Up close, the build looks impressive.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002

My OG, pre-dimple tech Coil seemed to have better flex than the dimple ones and felt much more lively. That's probably a function of the shape more than the glassing - I ordered the dimple ones to perform in bigger, nastier surf (and they certainly do). The real thing I don't like about the dimpled Coils is they're a massive pain in the ass to strip wax out of to put on a fresh coat or change temperature.

Reactions: jkb

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Was a Coil disciple till my first dimple tech exploded on a duck dive (overhead wave mind you) on my first session. Kirk made it right, but havent gone back.
Yikes. I too had an issue once, buckled when initiating a floater, however the board laster for a full season before that. It was an ultralight "glass job", the Coil crew sent me another, all I had to cover was shipping.

My OG, pre-dimple tech Coil seemed to have better flex than the dimple ones and felt much more lively. That's probably a function of the shape more than the glassing - I ordered the dimple ones to perform in bigger, nastier surf (and they certainly do). The real thing I don't like about the dimpled Coils is they're a massive pain in the ass to strip wax out of to put on a fresh coat or change temperature.
Cant really say OG Coils were flexier, they were stronger but not by a whole lot. Current Coil tech is fantastic IMHO.
Stripping wax isnt as bad as long as the wax comb can flex some.

Kinda wish they didn't stop being active in here or social media, board-pron is always welcome.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I had a bunch starting from back around probably 2010. The flexiest one I had was right when they started transitioning to dimple tech. That's also the only one I've had that had any significant ding. All have great flex and strength. Sad Mike Daniels is gone, I'd like to have him make an exact copy of some of the ones he made me. I'm sure Kirk can do it too though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Just got one in from Kirk; board looks great.

Deposit to "Board is Ready" took about 2 weeks. And overall cost was less than the 2 week rush up-charge from Varial. ...Just saying.
Was it really 2 weeks? Last one I got it was 4+ months from order until received.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Deposit was sent on 8/12. Email that said "Your board is ready" was 8/25. So, no, it wasn't 2 weeks. It was 13 days.

I was quoted "4 weeks or so." Kirk probably just liked my order more than yours.
makes sense, im always being discriminated against for being fat. how long from first email/msg to board?

Mar 15, 2022
Found a used coil somewhat within my dims and have really enjoyed it. Would like to build a custom. I tried to reach out to them using the Emails on page 190 here and on their instagram account without any success. Anyone here have a contact for them?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Feel free to send me a DM if you cannot get in touch with Kirk and you are absolutely 100% sure that you are ordering a board from him.

Reactions: Darthwader