The COIL review thread

Jul 4, 2008
Howzit all.
Anyone know what Mike Daniel's been up to? Retired? Haven't seen or heard his name mentioned in quite a while.

Regards.

Reactions: JDJ

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Funny this thread just popped up. Exchanged a couple emails with Kirk in last couple/few days about a new board.
Should have never sold that last M80 I had. Trying to make things right.

Mike is retired -- confirmed by Kirk. Good for him -- bummer for us.

Jul 4, 2008
Funny this thread just popped up. Exchanged a couple emails with Kirk in last couple/few days about a new board.

Mike is retired -- confirmed by Kirk. Good for him -- bummer for us.
@ taking one in: last September I picked up a used 5'10" that I believe was originally yours. Thruster shaped by Mike Daniel. Love it.
Regarding Kirk shapes: we picked up an older grom-sized grid-tech thruster for my daughter shaped by Kirk. The thing is a work of art. And still in awesome condition after having gone through several kids' hands. I would love to get a Kirk shape for myself one day.

Reactions: MathDebater

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
@ taking one in: last September I picked up a used 5'10" that I believe was originally yours. Thruster shaped by Mike Daniel. Love it.
Regarding Kirk shapes: we picked up an older grom-sized grid-tech thruster for my daughter shaped by Kirk. The thing is a work of art. And still in awesome condition after having gone through several kids' hands. I would love to get a Kirk shape for myself one day.
Yeah, I ordered that one in 2015 if it's the one I think it is. I bet it still looks nearly new. The M80 I got in that same order was probably a top 5 all time board for me; I still regret selling it.

Where did you get it?

Jul 4, 2008
Yeah, I ordered that one in 2015 if it's the one I think it is. I bet it still looks nearly new. The M80 I got in that same order was probably a top 5 all time board for me; I still regret selling it.

Where did you get it?
I got it from a guy I think named Roger in Melbourne area. Still immaculate. Poking around the interweb for Coil pics, I stumbled across a couple that you posted on the erbb, which is how I know it was yours.

After exclusively riding my own home-made abortions for years, I wanted a dependable shortboard for when the waves get decent (mind you I live gulfside). This board fit the bill exactly.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008

Just got one in from Kirk; board looks great.

Deposit to "Board is Ready" took about 2 weeks. And overall cost was less than the 2 week rush up-charge from Varial. ...Just saying.