The COIL review thread

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Looks like a round tail qualifier ( bonafied hpsb )

6-0
11.25 nose width
18.1875 wide point width
14.25 tail width

0.75 cubic feet or 21.2 cubic liters

It probably has a nice single concave thoughout going to flat right off the back fin

That board Will but lots of smiles on your face

EA fins of you are more backfooted or AM1 for centered or frontfooted

Jul 19, 2018

6-0
11.25 nose width
18.1875 wide point width
14.25 tail width

It probably has a nice single concave thoughout going to flat right off the back fin

Yeah... what Todd said! Lol
I know I have some info on this board... I just gotta find it... Board look's in pretty good shape all things considered!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Round tail qualifier is a good time. I had an orange 6'4" years ago. One of my favorite good wave boards of all time.

Would love a more modern take on one with a more relaxed entry and a bit more foam pushed up front for paddling.

Sep 30, 2013
Aus

6-0
11.25 nose width
18.1875 wide point width
14.25 tail width

Wow perfect reply thanks!
I'll be using it in good powerful point break waves in Victoria so sounds great for that. Volume is low for me but I guess that's the coil way?

Sep 30, 2013
Aus
Yeah... what Todd said! Lol
I know I have some info on this board... I just gotta find it... Board look's in pretty good shape all things considered!
It looks brand new! Just some slight yellowing and a couple of slight pressure dings on the bottom but hardly noticeable. Not sure how much it's been surfed but it's in epic condition which is a testament to your construction!

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Coil-foil in that Grid tech board will paddle like it has 3 to 5 more liters

Hard to explain but in simple terms it has the most volume in the middle and the scooping out on the deckside of tail and nose removed volume but created a nice hinge point for a very addicting feeling . I felt the aggressive nose foil kept the surfer in a prime paddle spot. / reduced swing weight

Reactions: saltyNuts
Sep 30, 2013
Aus

Hard to explain but in simple terms it has the most volume in the middle and the scooping out on the deckside of tail and nose removed volume but created a nice hinge point for a very addicting feeling . I felt the aggressive nose foil kept the surfer in a prime paddle spot. / reduced swing weight
Awesome! I'm so keen to try it. Always wanted a coil but shipping to Australia wasn't feasible for me.
I'm 5'5 145lbs so should hopefully go well as a good wave board or wee step up when it's a little larger

Jul 19, 2018
Round tail qualifier is a good time. I had an orange 6'4" years ago. One of my favorite good wave boards of all time.

Would love a more modern take on one with a more relaxed entry and a bit more foam pushed up front for paddling.
Aruka... we can make that happen!
It looks brand new! Just some slight yellowing and a couple of slight pressure dings on the bottom but hardly noticeable. Not sure how much it's been surfed but it's in epic condition which is a testament to your construction!
Thank you hallph! Grid tech was our 3 major update in construction... Alway's good to see some still in action!

Reactions: Aruka
Jul 19, 2018

Them were some super sexy boards... Mike Daniel had the Coil-Foil DOWN!!!

Reactions: Aruka
Sep 30, 2013
Aus
Beyond stoked to finally get to try one! I like the sound of it being a good wave weapon. Definitely a bit wary of the low volume as I'd normally ride 25L but will report back

Mar 24, 2017
BRING ON THE FRESHNESS!

These are my first Coils. Kirk was an absolute pleasure to deal with. We have over FIFTY emails going back and forth on these boards. The guy is insanely accommodating and knowledgeable. He called me a few times just to discuss things in greater detail.

5'10" seaside copy at just below 40 liters and a 6'6" hpsb/stepup at 38

Both boards are a smooth finish. I know they're famous for the dimples, but the smooth turned out great! Very good glassing job. No big bubbles or sand throughs or anything like that. I'm blown away. Surfed the 5/10" in crappy surf today and had a blast. Can't wait to see how it does in better conditions.
IMG_1568.jpgIMG_1567.jpg

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Those looks great!

At Retodd's recommendation, I'm using the FCS2 Seaside quads in my Megamind and they feel money.

Is that a new finish option?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
BRING ON THE FRESHNESS!

These are my first Coils. Kirk was an absolute pleasure to deal with. We have over FIFTY emails going back and forth on these boards. The guy is insanely accommodating and knowledgeable. He called me a few times just to discuss things in greater detail.

5'10" seaside copy at just below 40 liters and a 6'6" hpsb/stepup at 38

Both boards are a smooth finish. I know they're famous for the dimples, but the smooth turned out great! Very good glassing job. No big bubbles or sand throughs or anything like that. I'm blown away. Surfed the 5/10" in crappy surf today and had a blast. Can't wait to see how it does in better conditions.
View attachment 94194View attachment 94195
sexy looking boards!

Reactions: spencertron