The COIL review thread

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Just got the email asking to confirm color. Stealing that blue for a tail dip and inquired about smooth finish too. Now lets get into some nice hurricane swell in August so I can not just stare at it upon arrival.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Just got the email asking to confirm color. Stealing that blue for a tail dip and inquired about smooth finish too. Now lets get into some nice hurricane swell in August so I can not just stare at it upon arrival.
So what is the deal with the smooth? Is it just their "hawaiian lam" or standard glassing?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
That’s my old MegaMind which Mike shaped me. It’s a really great board. I’ve now replaced it with an updated, larger version.

Someone should grab it though. I sold the board on Clist, so it’s not my posting.

Gotta love how virtually indestructible Kirk’s builds are. Every time they turn up used, the post says the board is in excellent condition.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2017
Reactions: JDJ and MathDebater
Mar 24, 2017
So what is the deal with the smooth? Is it just their "hawaiian lam" or standard glassing?
Can't say as I've never had the hawaiia lam. Kirk did mention that the smooth tech would be 'beefier' and 'stronger' than the standard dimple lam, which is their lightest glassing schedule.

Reactions: JDJ

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I usually opt for the "Hawaiian lam" on all my Coils as I'm pretty tough on the decks (presumably mostly from aggressive/hectic duck-diving in shallow beach breaks and planting and landing hard off bottom turns and other antics). The Hawaii Lam is not immune to dishing a bit under knee or heel (and neither are the fabled "indestructible" Lib Techs; I can testify!), but it certainly holds up MUCH better than other tech and I haven't had one fail on me since opting for it. It kinda breaks in and stays comfortable under-foot for years.

The Hawaii Lam I've received has always been the dimpled finish to date, but I'd be interested in smooth finish if an option.

Nov 11, 2016
Anyone have contact info for Coil? My last 2 were shaped by Mike Daniels but it looks like the email address is no longer valid and their website is redirecting. From what I have read seems like I need to contact Kirk?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
My Coil is done. Got super cheap second hand at $170, but now it's just falling apart. The construction makes it hard to repair. Leaking along the rails because of that brittle stupid carbon fiber and its shitty bond to the golf ball material. The golf ball skin holds up really well. No pressure marks or anything on the top or bottom of the board. It's just the rails that have gone to sh!t.

I've had it since February 2019 according to this thread.

Last edited: