The COIL review thread

Mar 24, 2017
Those looks great!

At Retodd's recommendation, I'm using the FCS2 Seaside quads in my Megamind and they feel money.

Is that a new finish option?
So I had a 5'8" seaside that I loved but could tell going up a notch or two in size would help. Kept the quads and used them in the board this morning and, as you said, it was money.

Mar 24, 2017
Is that a smooth finish?!? My fav was always the pre dimple tech.
Yep! I went back and forth with Kirk on the glassing schedule and mentioned that I really like durable boards. We decided on a smooth finish on both boards and I gotta say it is amazing.

I did have one used coil a few years back in the dimple tech and this feels very different. Less "pingy" and more solid feeling. Love it!

Reactions: rowjimmytour
Mar 24, 2017
Just wanted to let everyone know I had the most insanely fun session on the orange fish the other day. Small, peaky, high tide newport beach evening session. Went to the beach with low expectations but honestly had so much fun.

I've never had a board connect sections like this. There weren't very many good shoulders, but lots of scattered peaks. I took off on so many waves, gave one or two little pumps, and was able to just glide over the flats and do a turn into the closeout of the next peak. It was definitely a new experience.

Very glad I went up in board size. Didn't feel like I sacrificed any performance from my 35-37 liter boards in going up to 40 on the fish but everything just felt so effortless and "flowy". I know for most of you reading this I'm preaching to the choir as you all love coils, but for anyone on the fence, Kirk can get these boards dialed in. I told him about me, my surfing, my home break, and told him I wanted a daily driver board that would make the OK days more fun and boy oh boy he did not disappoint! IMG_1566.jpg

saltyNuts

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2011
Just wanted to let everyone know I had the most insanely fun session on the orange fish the other day. Small, peaky, high tide newport beach evening session. Went to the beach with low expectations but honestly had so much fun.

I've never had a board connect sections like this. There weren't very many good shoulders, but lots of scattered peaks. I took off on so many waves, gave one or two little pumps, and was able to just glide over the flats and do a turn into the closeout of the next peak. It was definitely a new experience.

Very glad I went up in board size. Didn't feel like I sacrificed any performance from my 35-37 liter boards in going up to 40 on the fish but everything just felt so effortless and "flowy". I know for most of you reading this I'm preaching to the choir as you all love coils, but for anyone on the fence, Kirk can get these boards dialed in. I told him about me, my surfing, my home break, and told him I wanted a daily driver board that would make the OK days more fun and boy oh boy he did not disappoint! View attachment 94506
Wow, my friend.... super hott batch!
love them.... look epic!
cheers
:shaka:
:cheers:

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Have an all around 6'1 shortboard on order, little more volume to compensate for the winter weight and wetsuit. Hopefully get the email soon that its done. They're looking as good as ever.

Jan 5, 2020
Took the M80 out today. The combination of durability and wave versatility is hard to beat. Being someone that goes through ALOT of boards from multiple manufacturers, I can’t say enough about what Kirk is doing!

Reactions: JDJ and Aruka