The Bezt Complexes/Circuits and Intervals for Surfing

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I paddled out yesterday and caught one wave. But I am still an official quitter.

Yes, surfing does mess up your strength gains for sure.

A heavy shoulder workout would wreak havoc on my paddling so it's a push.

But none of that matters now.

I just write songs.

Like Tom Curren

I been using my trap bar in the back yard.

I know Doug doesn't approve but I can straight bar DL or back squat.

So I will take what I can get.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
VonMeister has us all sucking-up to him for his approval of our training TTPs. I'll admit, I want his approval too. I don't know why.

Does your shoulder workout have to be heavy? Why not make it lighter until it has no effect on your surfing, then build from there?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I train shoulders twice per week. Friday is a single at RPE 8, 1 set of 4 at RPE 8, 4 sets of 4 at 78% estimated 1RM. Monday is one set of 5 at RPE 7, 5 @ RPE8 , 5@ RPE 9 5@ -5% of RPE 9.

I surf the evening after I train shoulders or the next day all the time without any negative consequences. One important aspectof a well thought out program is capacity. Right around this time every year I change my programming to a lower intensity higher rep range (6,8,10 rep) programing. This helps build capacity. This may be what you're missing.

Side note. All warm up sets are same rep range as working sets. So Friday much of the final warm up sets are singles, while Monday they are warm up set of 5. I do this because warm up stress is as good as training stress. Many taper their warm up sets to save themselves for the working sets. I've had good results so far by using accumulated stress as the driver of my programming. Both work and my plan is to do a modified Texas Method in the fall ala Andy Baker or Paul Horn type programming which would be tapered warm up sets but more grindy working sets.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
VonMeister has us all sucking-up to him for his approval of our training TTPs. I'll admit, I want his approval too. I don't know why.

Does your shoulder workout have to be heavy? Why not make it lighter until it has no effect on your surfing, then build from there?
My shoulder work outs are embarrassingly light now.

this was back in the day. I was doing wild and reckless weight lifting. Body. building style.

Now Im no body.

Last edited:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I’ve been doing the armor building complex for three months now. When I started 16kg wasn’t easy. Now I do 24 than 20 back to back for 5 rounds. Just picked up a pair of 28s. I haven’t been surfing as much cause I’m fkn beat up but I have been surfing better.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I’ve been doing the armor building complex for three months now. When I started 16kg wasn’t easy. Now I do 24 than 20 back to back for 5 rounds. Just picked up a pair of 28s. I haven’t been surfing as much cause I’m fkn beat up but I have been surfing better.
I would recommend something less intense that doesn't leave you beat up. The returns from training higher up on the intensity scale are very limited....like whatever you use for measuring..time, reps, weight etc...if you stopped short of that you would get nearly identical training stimulus without the residual fatigue.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
She's Romanian, but yeah :ROFLMAO: I would have to placate them with duffel bags full of Adidas gear
Get into a track suit, buy a pallet of Russian Standard to give away to the locals, and get your ass to Tashkent IMMEDIATELY. You are scientist and make smart muscular baby.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I would recommend something less intense that doesn't leave you beat up. The returns from training higher up on the intensity scale are very limited....like whatever you use for measuring..time, reps, weight etc...if you stopped short of that you would get nearly identical training stimulus without the residual fatigue.
Yeah I gotta chill out at some point. This routine is addictive though

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Get into a track suit, buy a pallet of Russian Standard to give away to the locals, and get your ass to Tashkent IMMEDIATELY. You are scientist and make smart muscular baby.
I’m on it :roflmao: :beer: Love the big brains and muscle on my Uzkeki Slav bastard spawn child, Drago 4.0 FTW :beer:
A quick glance at a few cities that were designed in the Soviet era seems they are big on the circular ring roads that surround the city at different intervals :unsure: from my limited inquiry- Tashkent, Moscow, and Santa Cruz de la Sierra Bolivia all seem to have them :unsure:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’m on it :roflmao: :beer: Love the big brains and muscle on my Uzkeki Slav bastard spawn child, Drago 4.0 FTW :beer:
A quick glance at a few cities that were designed in the Soviet era seems they are big on the circular ring roads that surround the city at different intervals :unsure: from my limited inquiry- Tashkent, Moscow, and Santa Cruz de la Sierra Bolivia all seem to have them :unsure:
So does Beijing, so do most cities designed before the car.

Reactions: grapedrink