The Bezt Complexes/Circuits and Intervals for Surfing

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i already have top tier strength coach. i think sport specific training for surfing is nonexistent thats the issue
I would say the strength component is generic except for the paddling muscles. The energy systems work would depend on the muscles used (paddling muscles, legs) and the time interval you're paddling or on a wave.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I would say the strength component is generic except for the paddling muscles. The energy systems work would depend on the muscles used (paddling muscles, legs) and the time interval you're paddling or on a wave.
Close. You forgot rotation/anti-rotation.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
not all strength coaches/programs are equal. some take ur money and waste ur time.

anyways, i think there is a unique niche but will go unfilled since surfers are poor and the elite surfers don't make near as much as standard mainstream sports

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
not all strength coaches/programs are equal. some take ur money and waste ur time.

anyways, i think there is a unique niche but will go unfilled since surfers are poor and the elite surfers don't make near as much as standard mainstream sports
Be your own coach. It’s not rocket science. Figure out the specific demands particular to your sport. Figure your specific weaknesses/needs in relation to the demands of the sport.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Close. You forgot rotation/anti-rotation.
I wasn't going to get into that. That's in the JTRS Hybrid Training book. I have no expertise in this and I'm not going to argue for/against it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Life is circular not linear.
Advanced exercises but you get the idea
No offense but you sound like a fanatic with this. Were I to do rotational exercises at all, I'd do them with some sort of functional trainer that keeps tension through the whole range of motion, otherwise you're just using momentum and trying to stop it at the other end.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
No offense but you sound like a fanatic with this.
As opposed to the guy who’s every answer is deadlift more bro. Lol.

Maybe I decided a while back that you seem almost as set in your ways/convictions and I’m not even posting sh!t for you any more but instead those pragmatic enough to at least consider the alternatives.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
As opposed to the guy who’s every answer is deadlift more bro. Lol.

Maybe I decided a while back that you seem almost as set in your ways/convictions and I’m not even posting sh!t for you any more but instead those pragmatic enough to at least consider the alternatives.

[
I have two of Max Shank's books and have tried his stuff. I'm not close-minded to calisthenics or other ways of doing things, though I found the progressions in SHank's UA to be too frustrating, time-consuming, and lacking in results to continue. YMMV.
I am not dogmatically pro-barbell, though I agree with VonMeister that it's a very efficient tool. I gave him a hard time about DR. FEIGENBAUM, MD because of how dogmatic the egotistical doctor was. People who are too dogmatic have blind spots. I think about your approach to strength and conditioning is pretty dogmatic, just the other way. When you push too hard, it's off-putting, just like DR. FEIGENBAUM, MD's "I FVCKING LOVE SCIENCE!" marketing/narcissism. He is quite punchable.

I posted some stuff from the Red Delta Project I may try next, which is calisthenics-based. For hypertrophy, I tend to do a lot of bodyweight stuff anyways. I'm not trying to get as strong as I was 5 years ago because I got bored of it. That may change.

Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have two of Max Shank's books and have tried his stuff. I'm not close-minded to calisthenics or other ways of doing things, though I found the progressions in SHank's UA to be too frustrating, time-consuming, and lacking in results to continue. YMMV.
I am not dogmatically pro-barbell, though I agree with VonMeister that it's a very efficient tool. I gave him a hard time about DR. FEIGENBAUM, MD because of how dogmatic the egotistical doctor was. People who are too dogmatic have blind spots. I think about your approach to strength and conditioning is pretty dogmatic, just the other way. When you push too hard, it's off-putting, just like DR. FEIGENBAUM, MD's "I FVCKING LOVE SCIENCE!" marketing/narcissism. He is quite punchable.

I posted some stuff from the Red Delta Project I may try next, which is calisthenics-based. For hypertrophy, I tend to do a lot of bodyweight stuff anyways. I'm not trying to get as strong as I was 5 years ago because I got bored of it. That may change.
What happened to your giant boner for JTS whatever?
I looked into it, the coaches, and the book you mentioned. I guess I was impressed with their dedication to weightlifting but not much else. The Hybrid Athlete is just straight up repackaged CSCS stuff. The author can deadlift a lot and run fast and coincidentally enough that’s his definition of a hybrid athlete and he will teach how to achieve this revolutionary state lol. Barbell Medicine 2.0

I think you gave up on Max too soon. How else do you explain him being able to do sh!t like this?
Oh that’s right, I remember a certain someone saying it was all genetics and steroids.

• Dislike
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What happened to your giant boner for JTS whatever?
I looked into it, the coaches, and the book you mentioned. I guess I was impressed with their dedication to weightlifting but not much else. The Hybrid Athlete is just straight up repackaged CSCS stuff. The author can deadlift a lot and run fast and coincidentally enough that’s his definition of a hybrid athlete and he will teach how to achieve this revolutionary state lol. Barbell Medicine 2.0
So you bought the book and read it? Me saying I'm going to buy a JTRS book and read it is not a "boner" for it. Dumb comment.
I think you gave up on Max too soon.
that's up to me.
How else do you explain him being able to do sh!t like this?
Lots of time-consuming practice. He does it for a living, is not married, and has no kids and lately reminds me of the Dude. I'm trying to optimize my time for a maximum training effect within a small space in my garage.
Oh that’s right, I remember a certain someone saying it was all genetics and steroids.
It wasn't me.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The author can deadlift a lot and run fast and coincidentally enough that’s his definition of a hybrid athlete and he will teach how to achieve this revolutionary state lol.
One more thing. From the intro of "Hybrid Athlete":
Alex Viada has revolutionized this type of concurrent training, as he has squatted and deadlifted over 700 pounds raw while also running a sub 4:30 mile and competing in ultra-marathons and triathlons.
These are serious athletic feats. You don't know or you wouldn't scoff. I had two encounters in athletic settings with this guy as a midshipman at SoCal Public Ivy. Once when I was 18 and he was over 20 years older. The whole battalion ran a PRT and he did it with us for fun. He ran the mile and a half in a low 7 minutes, meaning he was holding sub 5:00. He maxed the pushups and situps. The fastest I ever went was 8:30, and I was young. The only guy who beat him was a guy on the cross country team with a weak upper body. Later, at mini-BUD/S 4 years later the same guy had put on Captain and led us in grinder PT. He destroyed all of us who were much younger than him. He had a reputation for fitness even in the SEALs, and obviously SEAL fitness requires tons of upper body strength and endurance along with running speed and endurance. Very few people have this.

Reactions: Havoc

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I ain't a spring chicken and I hate doing lots of cardio. If you could minimize cardio time but maximize the effects of cardio, what complexes/circuits and intervals would you do? How many intervals and what work/rest times would they have? What exercises would you be sure to include? Or, would you just skip rope or use the Airdyne or some combination?

TIA.
There are so many great cardio workouts now choose the one that suits you. Whether it's powerwalking, biking, Peloton, stairmaster, elliptical, jump rope whatever...30 minutes a day is pretty standard. More if you're an animal!

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There are so many great cardio workouts now choose the one that suits you. Whether it's powerwalking, biking, Peloton, stairmaster, elliptical, jump rope whatever...30 minutes a day is pretty standard. More if you're an animal!
There's a pretty significant difference between 30 minutes of jumping rope and (power :ROFLMAO:) walking.

30 minutes per day of walking is just enough to guarantee you'll die younger than you should but not as early if you did nothing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's a pretty significant difference between 30 minutes of jumping rope and (power :ROFLMAO:) walking.

30 minutes per day of walking is just enough to guarantee you'll die younger than you should but not as early if you did nothing.
Are you responding to a bot?