The best pizza?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I routinely eat 711 pizza...the working man's thing is probably a step or two above what i grub. if it was self made...def respect.

my opinion? is summed up in my choice of fine malt lqiupr///tainted....at best!
What kind of mexican eats 7-11 pizza?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
After nerding out in this thread (thanks to grapedrink in particular), I decided to give it a shot and came up with the “good enough (for me)” pizza. Not as thin as I’d like but turned out satisfactory.
I sort of followed this youtuber recipe:

Got water to mid 90s degrees F, which I know, not 100-105F, I was lazy and figured, good enough.
Scale ran out of battery half way through measuring flour, good enough
Only had all purpose flour, good enough
Didn’t have cornmeal, so had to use flour again, good enough
Shitty apartment oven with max temp of 500F (analog thermometer in oven read far below that), good enough

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
After nerding out in this thread (thanks to grapedrink in particular), I decided to give it a shot and came up with the “good enough (for me)” pizza. Not as thin as I’d like but turned out satisfactory.
I sort of followed this youtuber recipe:

Got water to mid 90s degrees F, which I know, not 100-105F, I was lazy and figured, good enough.
Scale ran out of battery half way through measuring flour, good enough
Only had all purpose flour, good enough
Didn’t have cornmeal, so had to use flour again, good enough
Shitty apartment oven with max temp of 500F (analog thermometer in oven read far below that), good enough
Doesnt look like you let the dough get to to room temp and rise at all? Otherwise looks pretty good for a first try :beer:

In a crappy oven the broiler is your friend.

Reactions: tacos

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Went out last night with friends to Buouna Forchetta in Qualudia. Wow, they have very good pizza! Will dine there again.
My wife brought the stuff to make 8 to 10 pies as the plan was to be up here today with the grandkids, cousins, etc. from this morning through the weekend. I called and asked her what time I should fire up the oven this morning and she told me to reschedule for next Tuesday.

I had started the prep work yesterday, chopping mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. but mixing the dough and firing the oven isn’t worth the effort for one person plus I’d have 4 pizzas I would be morally obligated to consume.

I’ve read about freezing dough, anyone doing that?

Reactions: grapedrink

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
My wife brought the stuff to make 8 to 10 pies as the plan was to be up here today with the grandkids, cousins, etc. from this morning through the weekend. I called and asked her what time I should fire up the oven this morning and she told me to reschedule for next Tuesday.

I had started the prep work yesterday, chopping mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. but mixing the dough and firing the oven isn’t worth the effort for one person plus I’d have 4 pizzas I would be morally obligated to consume.

I’ve read about freezing dough, anyone doing that?
I’ve never done it but they say it’s okay to do. After thawing let it rise again, I guess.

Reactions: grapedrink

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Doesnt look like you let the dough get to to room temp and rise at all? Otherwise looks pretty good for a first try :beer:

In a crappy oven the broiler is your friend.
Ha, what gave it away? I just followed the video where the dude recommended not to. Thanks though, will try on the next one!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ha, what gave it away? I just followed the video where the dude recommended not to. Thanks though, will try on the next one!
Haha I could tell because it’s relatively flat. If the dough were warmer it would either start to rise before cooking and/or would be warm enough to rise while in the oven, and then you would have a nice rise around the perimeter.

IMO this is the #1 home pizza cooking error. People buy some cold dough at Trader Joes or wherever and they start making pizzas from it right out of the fridge
IMG_0064.jpeg