The best pizza?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
don't know if this mention was made in the last 26 pages,
but i used to luv me some Zeppy's Pizza on Thee Venice Boardwalk in The '70's after surfin' for hours!
that place is looong gone, but worth a mention, as is this joint, Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa ~ North Shore
did some grubbin' there too, when i was young visitin' dude, surfin', a lot. Yummy~Yummy!!!

Pizza Bob’s will close Aug. 28. Employee Johanna Ramos holds a half-portion of a “Godfather” pizza
next to a notice announcing the eatery’s last day of business. Ramos started working as a dishwasher for the owner 27 years ago.
:jamon:

ps: i could go for some hot slices from either of Doggie~Townz old WildFlour Pizza joints right now,
but they be gone too, bummer...

pss: my 1st real job,
was at a place in Venice called PizzaTyme, on Washington Blvd in Venice, west of Lincoln, i was washin' dishes by hand, preppin' ingred's, + then moppin'+cleanin' at 2:00am. our chef's used to fling them pizza crusts waaay high in the sky, so to say, twirlin', catchin' 'em, again+again, customers kinda dug it, that job allowed me to save up enough $ to buy a ticket to get my 1st trip to
The North Shore, age 16, waaay back in '79, good memories, livin' across from 3 Tables, err 'Rubber Ducky's'...

psss: every~time i visit,
i alwayz have to surf 'Rubber Ducky's' a few times, for old times sake!
that lil' Sesame Street song alwayz pops into my brain, yep, yep, yep ~ hahaha!
last time i surfed it, some dude asked me what i was doin' surfin' there, 'cause i like to hit this lil' lip when it'd show,
i told him i'd spent many an hour out there, since age of 16, when i visited, hahaha, here's an rw pic from 2005,
1 of the last tymes i've surfed there, at age of 43, hahaha, i wish i was a kid again, sometimes, ya knowz?!?
Rubber Duckiez.jpg
:cheers:

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
This was pretty interesting. Organized crime, mafia getting butthurt over stealing square (or any) pizza recipes and offing one of the owners over it

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Some pizza I had at a tiny hole-in-the-wall place in Amsterdam. Cooked in one of those old school adobe ovens. Ingredients were from their garden in the back. Wish I could remember the name of the place.

Reactions: grapedrink

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Flew into Newark this afternoon. Headed to Cooperstown with my 12 year old for the week. Stopping off in NYC first to catch Mets-Yankees and back next week for another Yankees game. kid was starving when when got off the plane so we took a detour through the Ironbound District. Tony’s has been serving up pies for the neighborhood since 1954. Solid example of the local fare. Right on par with D’Amore’s in Malibu. But the nod gore to Tony’s with the crispy crust all the way through from the middle to the edge.
1658890266578.jpeg
1658890304032.jpeg

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
Flew into Newark this afternoon. Headed to Cooperstown with my 12 year old for the week. Stopping off in NYC first to catch Mets-Yankees and back next week for another Yankees game. kid was starving when when got off the plane so we took a detour through the Ironbound District. Tony’s has been serving up pies for the neighborhood since 1954. Solid example of the local fare. Right on par with D’Amore’s in Malibu. But the nod gore to Tony’s with the crispy crust all the way through from the middle to the edge.
View attachment 134683
View attachment 134684
F me, im doing paleo right now.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I'm such a pizza snob now, I can't even stomach soggy crust, tasteless, floppy pies. Hard to beat a stone-fired oven.
I wouldn't call myself a pizza snob, but there are baseline standards that must be maintained. We have a relatively new hipster pizza joint up where I live. Only option within 20 minutes. Somehow they manage to burn the crust (in a distasteful, charcoal in you mouth way) while also keeping it floppy as hell. Worst. Sh!t. Ever. :socrazy:

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Looks bready. A little flop, decent undercarriage, one bite everyone knows the rules. Whoa it's light, nice crisp. One bite everyone knows the rules. Decent amount of cheese and I like my pizza well done so that'll bump the score. One bite everyone knows the rules. I'm thinking high 7's low 8's? I got the owner filming me and his wife behind him and I don't care. I'm gonna go... 7.9.

• Love
Reactions: Northern_Shores

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I wouldn't call myself a pizza snob, but there are baseline standards that must be maintained. We have a relatively new hipster pizza joint up where I live. Only option within 20 minutes. Somehow they manage to burn the crust (in a distasteful, charcoal in you mouth way) while also keeping it floppy as hell. Worst. Sh!t. Ever. :socrazy:
CRICIFY THE FUGGING INFIDELS

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How about pizza where you take one bite, and the entire layer of toppings slides off and flops onto the plate while you're left holding a piece of cooked pizza dough with nothing on it. Welcome to Woodstocks Pizza in SLO. Worse pizza I've ever had, and yet everyone I know raves about it like it's some all-time pie maker. :foreheadslap: