The best pizza?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
We set the oven on convection at 475F.
We use olive oil on the "stone" to keep from burning. We've had a few mishaps but most turn out reaaly good. Way better than what you get from most pizza joints.
Is it an actual stone? From what I understand, the basis for using a stone oven is to prevent the crust from burning since metal conducts heat more efficiently than stone. So you end up w a crust and toppings that evenly cooked.

We cook at over 600 F for about 3 minutes in our commercial oven.

At home, I used fire bricks as the bottom layer. Using the IR thermometer, they're over 500 F.

Reactions: grapedrink

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
What’s the best pizza in Orange County? I‘m routinely underwhelmed and need some recommendations.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Sampling of what's been coming out of casa NPSP's oven:
View attachment 145359View attachment 145360View attachment 145361
Gooooooooooooooooood Damn!

Stuck up here in New England and would put my grandmother in the Iron Sheiks Camel Clutch for that.
You mind giving up details-?

Recipe- Crust/Sauce/Cheese/Cooking

Gear- Pan Stone whatever else I need?

Would love to be making this for my family. And entertain them at grandmas.

Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: npsp

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
What’s the best pizza in Orange County? I‘m routinely underwhelmed and need some recommendations.
For sit down service restaurant pizza which is excellent, try the spicy salami pizza at 2145 Eats in Costa Mesa. It's a converted auto repair garage and does lots of things well. https://www.yelp.com/biz/2145-eats-costa-mesa

For kind of thicker crust but very flavorful sauce and ingredients, try the old stalwarts Nick's Pizza and Doria's Haus of Pizza, both in Costa Mesa.

For old school, red leatherette booths, grab your own beers from the cooler and pay later, total local place, and quite decent pizza (and sandwiches), try Massimos in Huntington Beach. Cash only.

For Chicago style (I know that some people don't consider this pizza, but I do), try Rance's in Costa Mesa.

For a thinner-crust and decent approximation of NY style, try the tiny locals' restaurant known as Pizza D'Oro in Huntington.

Gina's Pizza in Newport is an old favorite. Haven't been there in awhile.

ZeroZero39 Pizzeria in Downtown HB is legit. The owners are from Rome and know how to do it. It all starts with the quality of the dough. https://www.zerozero39pizza.com/

Reactions: JDJ and keenfish

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
thats the one!....i score some extra meat sauce with it....dear god....that sh1t is just UNREAL levels of good. pizza doesnt look my style....but that sandwich and that meat sauce....fuggggggggg
Family-owned place for a long time. Very short walk from my house. I really do like the pizza, but the sandwiches are unreal, and still fairly priced.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
For sit down service restaurant pizza which is excellent, try the spicy salami pizza at 2145 Eats in Costa Mesa. It's a converted auto repair garage and does lots of things well. https://www.yelp.com/biz/2145-eats-costa-mesa

For kind of thicker crust but very flavorful sauce and ingredients, try the old stalwarts Nick's Pizza and Doria's Haus of Pizza, both in Costa Mesa.

For old school, red leatherette booths, grab your own beers from the cooler and pay later, total local place, and quite decent pizza (and sandwiches), try Massimos in Huntington Beach. Cash only.

For Chicago style (I know that some people don't consider this pizza, but I do), try Rance's in Costa Mesa.

For a thinner-crust and decent approximation of NY style, try the tiny locals' restaurant known as Pizza D'Oro in Huntington.

Gina's Pizza in Newport is an old favorite. Haven't been there in awhile.

ZeroZero39 Pizzeria in Downtown HB is legit. The owners are from Rome and know how to do it. It all starts with the quality of the dough. https://www.zerozero39pizza.com/
Thanks!