The best pizza?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Woodstocks in I.V. had a time and place but it's hippy college party pizza.
I haven't had pizza in at least a year. I had to do asian food tonight and wanted to do Revolver or the new pie joint. They make their own mozz, ferment the dough for a few days, hang herbs in the kitchen, and only offer 4 pies and sometimes a special. Pretty dope.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Finally, something that my home city does far far better than anywhere else in the US. My pizza dilemma is more along the lines of “ok, I only gorge myself on cheese and meat loaded carb vehicles once in awhile. So, how the hell do I decide which of the 7-8 amazing pizza joints within 5 miles of my house should I order from, given that we only order pizza maybe once a month at most.”
East End pizza is a 5 minute walk. Damn fine pizza, some claim best in LB, but I don’t love how firmly they cook their crust.

Gino’s is a Long Beach institution, and they put so much cheese on their pies my sinuses clog up as soon as I walk in. Amazing cheesy greasy New York epic ness. Probably my personal favorite on the beach.

But dammit if sorrento’s doesn’t also make a killer pie, slightly more Roman style than New York style, and equally delicious. Their shop burned down last year so you get bonus karma points for supporting a decades old family owned shop that is getting themselves Re-settled in a new location.

but then along comes the grandma pie from Da Vinci’s, and holy smokes will THAT change a man’s life. Shaped like a Sicilian pie, but much thinner crust, and that homemade sauce and fresh mozzarella and basil make you want to quit your job, find da Vinci’s grandma, and just live in her bosom til the end of your days

that’s just scratching the surface of LB pizza. Now multiply that times 100000 to account for every other town on Long Island that has at least a few excellent pizza joints, and the thousands in the city itself, and you simply have an embarrassment of pizza riches in a single DMA.

AND, for those days where I’m just craving pizza but my gut has told me “no more carbs this week” I can always order from Brixx and Barley and get their staggeringly delicious cauliflower crust pepperoni pie. In NO WAY does it taste like a “no carb compromise” it is an EPIC pizza in And of itself, cooked in a wood burning brick oven for added smokiness.

ok, so, I now know I’m buying a Pyzel today AND getting pizza. Carpe diem

• Love
Reactions: sizzld1

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm getting way better at pushing out the dough. Our poolish proofs for 2-3 days in advance. Dough 1 day.

Napolitano style is the only way to go. Soggy sucks. If it's not cooked on a stone, don't even talk to me. :poke:

Reactions: Aruka and kawika

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Ginos vs Sorrentos. Not sure who this guy is but he's on a mission to review every joint in NY and seems like some kind of pizza celebrity. :roflmao:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah he’s actually making a lot of friends and a lot of enemies on his adventure. I think it’s hysterical lol. Of COURSE New York is going to lose its collective mind when one guy claims Gino’s is better than Sorrentos

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
When we first moved to CA i remember walking into a “pizza“ place and trying to order a slice. They looked at me like I was speaking in tongues, then I saw what they were offering as pizza n got the fck out of there as fast as possible.

Mountain Mikes, Round Table… what da fck is dat.

I miss NY pizza.

• Haha
Reactions: menobrah and Subway

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
One of my trips to Europe, I literally ate pizza the entire trip, across six different countries. And the most amazing place was this family owned super tiny hole in the wall place in Denmark. Seriously maybe 1000 sqft place total with most people sitting outside. They grew their own toppings out back in a field. It was the best pizza I ever had.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Finally, something that my home city does far far better than anywhere else in the US. My pizza dilemma is more along the lines of “ok, I only gorge myself on cheese and meat loaded carb vehicles once in awhile. So, how the hell do I decide which of the 7-8 amazing pizza joints within 5 miles of my house should I order from, given that we only order pizza maybe once a month at most.”
East End pizza is a 5 minute walk. Damn fine pizza, some claim best in LB, but I don’t love how firmly they cook their crust.

Gino’s is a Long Beach institution, and they put so much cheese on their pies my sinuses clog up as soon as I walk in. Amazing cheesy greasy New York epic ness. Probably my personal favorite on the beach.

But dammit if sorrento’s doesn’t also make a killer pie, slightly more Roman style than New York style, and equally delicious. Their shop burned down last year so you get bonus karma points for supporting a decades old family owned shop that is getting themselves Re-settled in a new location.

but then along comes the grandma pie from Da Vinci’s, and holy smokes will THAT change a man’s life. Shaped like a Sicilian pie, but much thinner crust, and that homemade sauce and fresh mozzarella and basil make you want to quit your job, find da Vinci’s grandma, and just live in her bosom til the end of your days

that’s just scratching the surface of LB pizza. Now multiply that times 100000 to account for every other town on Long Island that has at least a few excellent pizza joints, and the thousands in the city itself, and you simply have an embarrassment of pizza riches in a single DMA.

AND, for those days where I’m just craving pizza but my gut has told me “no more carbs this week” I can always order from Brixx and Barley and get their staggeringly delicious cauliflower crust pepperoni pie. In NO WAY does it taste like a “no carb compromise” it is an EPIC pizza in And of itself, cooked in a wood burning brick oven for added smokiness.

ok, so, I now know I’m buying a Pyzel today AND getting pizza. Carpe diem
I'm sorry, but that Gino's pizza looks like a greasy, soggy mess. I don't think it's fair that the One Bite guy eats a cheese at one place and then a margherita w/ basil at another.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
One of my trips to Europe, I literally ate pizza the entire trip, across six different countries. And the most amazing place was this family owned super tiny hole in the wall place in Denmark. Seriously maybe 1000 sqft place total with most people sitting outside. They grew their own toppings out back in a field. It was the best pizza I ever had.
The best pizza I had in Europe, better than anything between northern Italy and Rome, was in Cadiz, Spain. Pizzeria Osare. "Osare" I am told is a nod to fascist Italy. Fucking amazing pizza though. Have not been to Naples.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: r32

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'm sorry, but that Gino's pizza looks like a greasy, soggy mess. I don't think it's fair that the One Bite guy eats a cheese at one place and then a margherita w/ basil at another.
I think he's pretty fair. He walks or calls in and orders a cheese pizza. If they only have margherita and no standard cheese, then that's what has to review. Most of the time he doesn't know what he's getting until he opens the box on camera. He has claimed New Haven as the pizza capital/best but probably because he likes those well done thin pies. Probably got lots of hate in NYC for that call. I couldn't imagine eating pizza almost every day for like 6 years.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Woodstocks in I.V. had a time and place but it's hippy college party pizza.
I haven't had pizza in at least a year. I had to do asian food tonight and wanted to do Revolver or the new pie joint. They make their own mozz, ferment the dough for a few days, hang herbs in the kitchen, and only offer 4 pies and sometimes a special. Pretty dope.
i remember the coupons. or the pitchers at giovannis. I may have mixed that up. or was I even there?

• Haha
Reactions: Subway