The best pizza?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Tried making some dough last minute at home. Used a 1 hr recipe, but let it proof at room temp for 2 hours. Came out light and airy.
View attachment 173654
View attachment 173655
fried the bottom in olive oil, then took the torch to the top:
View attachment 173656

check out the air in the crust:
View attachment 173657

I'm just trying to figure out the frying part. The bottom is super crunchy. It's cheating. If you fry the top, too, then it gets burnt w/ the torch. Any topping sticking up gets burnt, too. I think the best application for frying is to fry just the bottom, then stick it on a pizza stone and broil the top in the oven until the toppings boil. Don't throw away your pizza stones.

Edit: homemade San Marzano tomato sauce.
What recipe did you use for the dough? Care to share?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Recipe please :unsure: :beer:
28 oz can of San marzanos, recipe said to squish by hand, but left big chunks, so I blended it w 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp olive oil, and 1 clove garlic. Not great, needs some more spice, IMO. My wife can't do spicy, but if it were just me, I'd add some red pepper. Didn't add basil bc I knew I was going to add it after cooking.

What recipe did you use for the dough? Care to share?
For 4 10-12" pizzas:
600 g 00 flour
10 g sea salt mix in w flour

Mix in separate bowl:
375 g water (used filtered from the fridge), warmed to 100 F
10 g Honey
1 packet dry yeast

Mix together slowly by hand. Could've used the mixer, but too lazy to get it out.

Proof at room temp covered for 2 hr. Was about 70 F yesterday in the house.

Cut into 4 equal parts around 250 g each (makes a 10-12" thin crust Neapolitan style crust). Roll into balls. I didn't let the balls proof much longer, but dough will only get softer if you do. Dough was really soft and stretchy w lots of air. Pushed out the air to the crust, starting in the center (important step to have a light airy crust). Stretch to size.

I have no idea what we use at the pizza store bc this was just for a family of 4 last minute. I tweaked some recipes I looked up online, but increased the amounts bc most recipes are for only 2-3 pies.

At the store, we make a poolish the day before we make the dough.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
28 oz can of San marzanos, recipe said to squish by hand, but left big chunks, so I blended it w 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp olive oil, and 1 clove garlic. Not great, needs some more spice, IMO. My wife can't do spicy, but if it were just me, I'd add some red pepper. Didn't add basil bc I knew I was going to add it after cooking.
Thank you :beer:
Do you saute it for a little while after blending, or straight from the blender to the pizza? :unsure:

I've been preaching the importance of water quality and temperature for decades

1708969039445.png

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Had Giovanni's in Mammoth yesterday evening.
Quality has waned over the years but washed down with a beer, it certainly hit the spot after 6.5 hours on the road.
New spot in mammoth across from the Liberty Bar (old Perrys pizza), owned by the same people. Recommended by a buddy who has lived there for 30 years, can’t remember the name and not seeing it on google maps but check it out. Best I’ve had in mammoth, including Giovanni’s back in the day. Tons of beers on tap as well.

Reactions: npsp

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

For 4 10-12" pizzas:
600 g 00 flour
10 g sea salt mix in w flour

Mix in separate bowl:
10 g Honey
1 packet dry yeast

Mix together slowly by hand. Could've used the mixer, but too lazy to get it out.

Proof at room temp covered for 2 hr. Was about 70 F yesterday in the house.

Cut into 4 equal parts around 250 g each (makes a 10-12" thin crust Neapolitan style crust). Roll into balls. I didn't let the balls proof much longer, but dough will only get softer if you do. Dough was really soft and stretchy w lots of air. Pushed out the air to the crust, starting in the center (important step to have a light airy crust). Stretch to size.

I have no idea what we use at the pizza store bc this was just for a family of 4 last minute. I tweaked some recipes I looked up online, but increased the amounts bc most recipes are for only 2-3 pies.

At the store, we make a poolish the day before we make the dough.
Same dough recipe we’ve been using except corse grained sugar instead of honey. You got a good fluff on the dough. Would bang.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
If the family is on board tonight, might do another fried crust, but this time throw it on the new pizza stone and bake the toppings, instead of the torch. Pics coming. Might be the best one, yet. Too labor intensive for commercial, though.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
So how’d it turn out?
Had to go to Costco and didn't have time to prep the dough (hungry kids). Will post updated pics when we try it.

Last weekend, I made myself one at the store. The dough was cold and stiff. Cooks were predicting it was going to be a rough night. My crust sucked. Dough makes or break pizza.

• Sad
Reactions: npsp and grapedrink