Thank god we have 2A to protect us from people who steal our parking spots…..

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
@Sharky
Sjambok bro, Sjambok.
You really really do not want to get hit by one, especially by someone with some technique(Xs/figure 8s). I hit myself for science hard enough in the calf that I was limping for a few minutes and it was just a love tap. The big one is wicked good at taking off sucker branches from trees. The small one lives in the truck.

IMG_0600.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

Reactions: Pico

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
So in your demented little world Adam Lanza murdered scores of children in self defense .....in a gun-free zone.
Yeah, not sure who's responsible for the snafu, but apparently the gun his mother had was not the self-defense model. She trained him to use the kill-'em all-let-God-sort 'em-out model. Honest mistake I guess.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
@Sharky
Sjambok bro, Sjambok.
You really really do not want to get hit by one, especially by someone with some technique(Xs/figure 8s). I hit myself for science hard enough in the calf that I was limping for a few minutes and it was just a love tap. The big one is wicked good at taking off sucker branches from trees. The small one lives in the truck.

View attachment 174387

View attachment 174389
I have a genuine knobkerrie made in the Natal by a Zulu warrior.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You are not safe anywhere. Ever. So you evaluate the risk and take the steps to mitigate said risk. It's a judgement call. And yeah, when everybody is walking around with loaded guns, if I am in that area? I'm going to be armed. I'm not making moral judgements or arguing pie-in-the-sky gun laws. I'm just dealing with the environment that I am existing in.
I wouldn't call that dealing, it's more overreacting.

Again, the old American trope that you are safer because you carry a gun (but it's somehow simultaneously more dangerous because other people carry guns too), is bizzarre.

You are effectively saying that a place with more guns is more dangerous, which I don't think was the point you wanted to make. It was mine tho. :dancing:

I know we did this before so I'll leave it at that. :roflmao:

Reactions: kidfury

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Yeah, but if that was for me, I didn't make that argument did I? :cool: If everybody has guns there are going to be more shootings than if no one has guns. Duh.

Montanna has more guns per capita than any other state. And you have a right to carry your loaded gun. Concealed on you or in the car.

It is number 7 in per capita gun deaths.

Is that a correlation? Could be. But considering Wyoming, Alaska (who both surpass Montana in gun deaths) also have very sparse law enforcement, (like Montana) I have to think that may in fact be a contributory factor. The top of the heap for gun deaths is Mississippi? Louisiana and New Mexico come up second and third. Whatever. Miss is a mess. But there has to be more LEOs per square mile than Montana, Alaska and Wyoming.

Bottom line for me personally, I look at the environment I'm going to be in and adjust my requirements as necessary. In CA I don't carry a gun. It's a pain. (literally. It's uncomfortable) it involves a lot of responsibility, and I just don't feel that threatened.

Montana? lol. Almost no cops, everyone has a loaded gun on them, there are a lot of shootings plus there is a bit of hostile wildlife. Given all that, I'm going to have a loaded gun on me.

You do you and I'll do me.

This is where the idiots come in and claim you can't defend yourself successfully with a gun. :roflmao: Tots and pears boys.
Notably, Montana, Wyoming and AK have the highest suicide rates in the USA. They also have the highest gun ownership rates. Don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Seriously? That's dope.

There are a lot of nuts on the loose out there so I roll with an early 90's craftsman torque wrench
Word. More than any thing I preach situational awareness/vigilance.

Someday I’d love to acquire an antique war club

”The Club was the Fijian warrior’s favourite weapon, he had his spears, from ten to fifteen feet long, efficient bows and arrows, and slings for throwing stones; but although these had each their special use none approached the club in popularity and daily use. Whether his tribe was at war or at peace, a man was seldom without it, until the end of the 19th Century no Fijian man left the precincts of his house unarmed. Whenever he left his village, even to work in his garden, he carried his club on his shoulder; and should he meet a man in the path, the club remained in that position, at alert, until on friendly recognition both men lowered their weapon in greeting.

Even in times of peace, when a man had occasion to visit a friendly village, he would not go unarmed lest the people should say, “He despises us; he comes without weapons.” He, therefore, carried a dress or token club, of size and style and enriched as befitted his social rank.”

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Word. More than any thing I preach situational awareness/vigilance.

Someday I’d love to acquire an antique war club

”The Club was the Fijian warrior’s favourite weapon, he had his spears, from ten to fifteen feet long, efficient bows and arrows, and slings for throwing stones; but although these had each their special use none approached the club in popularity and daily use. Whether his tribe was at war or at peace, a man was seldom without it, until the end of the 19th Century no Fijian man left the precincts of his house unarmed. Whenever he left his village, even to work in his garden, he carried his club on his shoulder; and should he meet a man in the path, the club remained in that position, at alert, until on friendly recognition both men lowered their weapon in greeting.

Even in times of peace, when a man had occasion to visit a friendly village, he would not go unarmed lest the people should say, “He despises us; he comes without weapons.” He, therefore, carried a dress or token club, of size and style and enriched as befitted his social rank.”

Mexican version
1709650139184.jpeg
It wasn’t that long ago that where one went it went with them. If you have only one tool this is it. I’ve seen the aftermath of a couple of people against people encounters…not to be unseen. Don’t take one to a gunfight.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
You are not safe anywhere. Ever. So you evaluate the risk and take the steps to mitigate said risk. It's a judgement call. And yeah, when everybody is walking around with loaded guns, if I am in that area? I'm going to be armed. I'm not making moral judgements or arguing pie-in-the-sky gun laws. I'm just dealing with the environment that I am existing in.
No one is ever absolutely safe. However, *most people* live in relative safety to the point that they do not feel the need to carry any kind of weapon, ever. Some people do spend most or all of their time in highly dangerous environments and have a legit reason to carry a weapon. Some other people have perceived or imagined feelings of danger and carry a weapon to assuage those feelings. Finally, some people carry a weapon as a means to inflate their egos and self-belief that they are to be feared.

Whatever the situation, there is a large body of evidence that carrying a weapon in fact makes you less safe and more likely to be subject to physical violence.

Reactions: kidfury and mundus

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I was in my early 20's when my sister was shot dead in front of her house. So much for the comfortable illusion of safety most of us cling to. Reality sucks.

How good a gun does or doesn't work for self defense is dependent on the user. It's not magic and there are never any guarantees. Sometimes the dice just rolls the wrong way and you're done. Some people will never be able to defend themselves/loved ones. No matter the training or the tools. It's just not there. So inform yourself and make a decision. You do you...

Concealed Guns - Pros & Cons - ProCon.org

Regardless, there were over 22 million active concealed carry permits out there a couple of years ago. And it's way up from there. It's a whole lot easier to get a permit to carry in CA than it used to be.

Liberal America is Embracing Firearms (newsweek.com)

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
No one is ever absolutely safe. However, *most people* live in relative safety to the point that they do not feel the need to carry any kind of weapon, ever. Some people do spend most or all of their time in highly dangerous environments and have a legit reason to carry a weapon. Some other people have perceived or imagined feelings of danger and carry a weapon to assuage those feelings. Finally, some people carry a weapon as a means to inflate their egos and self-belief that they are to be feared.

Whatever the situation, there is a large body of evidence that carrying a weapon in fact makes you less safe and more likely to be subject to physical violence.
Timing is everything.

You left out some people carry a weapon for nefarious reasons.

Reactions: hammies

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009

It's better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one.