Tesla to sue Alameda County and State of California, moving company out of state.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The only thing keeping most tech companies here is that they have been here and that they're a few hours closer to China by air. It's just like manufacturing in LA before it was all burned out in the Rodney King riots, except for the China part.
I dunno. Once you have an established focal point for an industry, it's not so simple to just recreate that elsewhere. People want to be where they can network and rub elbows with all of the big wigs and up-and-comers. Then there is all the supporting industries and infrastructure that gets built up around it.

Plus a big part of the appeal of the Bay Area is the instant access to amazing weather, coastline, mountains, cultural interests, etc. Which is why you can't just build a tech hub in the middle of BFE and expect people to move there. That said, other areas like Austin, Seattle, Reno, etc are likely to keep taking food off of California's plate.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I recently heard someone use the term "the silicon slopes" unironically in conversation in reference to SLC

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I dunno. Once you have an established focal point for an industry, it's not so simple to just recreate that elsewhere. People want to be where they can network and rub elbows with all of the big wigs and up-and-comers. Then there is all the supporting industries and infrastructure that gets built up around it.

Plus a big part of the appeal of the Bay Area is the instant access to amazing weather, coastline, mountains, cultural interests, etc. Which is why you can't just build a tech hub in the middle of BFE and expect people to move there. That said, other areas like Austin, Seattle, Reno, etc are likely to keep taking food off of California's plate.
No one can afford the Bay Area and, for the price, you get vagrants sh1tting in the streets like it's Mumbai.

90% of the new "tech" investment is in software which isn't really tech - it's pursuit of niche markets and ad revenue (Google). We don't make semiconductors here anymore. Most are made in Ching Chong China. We do design some, but the engineering tends to follow the manufacturing which is why China is leading in 5G.

Our technical base is eroding rapidly.

• Dislike
Reactions: afoaf and hammies

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
No one can afford the Bay Area and, for the price, you get vagrants sh1tting in the streets like it's Mumbai.

90% of the new "tech" investment is in software which isn't really tech - it's pursuit of niche markets and ad revenue (Google). We don't make semiconductors here anymore. Most are made in Ching Chong China. We do design some, but the engineering tends to follow the manufacturing which is why China is leading in 5G.

Our technical base is eroding rapidly.
Time will tell. The manufacturing element is just a small piece of it. It’s the human capital that really drives Silicon Valley. The knowledge and creativity required for tech innovations, app development, marketing, etc is far more important than the production aspect. Communist societies are not conducive to fostering the creative mind and environment required to start the next apple/Facebook/google, which is why democracies will always have an advantage in that regard.

The Bay Area is affordable if you make a mid-6 figure+ salary, which many of them do. I wouldn’t want to live their even if I could afford it, but if I was single And well paid it’d be a fun place to be a man slut.

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Time will tell. The manufacturing element is just a small piece of it. It’s the human capital that really drives Silicon Valley. The knowledge and creativity required for tech innovations, app development, marketing, etc is far more important than the production aspect. Communist societies are not conducive to fostering the creative mind and environment required to start the next apple/Facebook/google, which is why democracies will always have an advantage in that regard.

The Bay Area is affordable if you make a mid-6 figure+ salary, which many of them do. I wouldn’t want to live their even if I could afford it, but if I was single And well paid it’d be a fun place to be a man slut.
I worked for one of these famous Silicon Valley companies. I think we're already having trouble maintaining our current level of technology and it's going to get a lot worse with the retirement of the Baby Boomers:

"In December 2016, POLITICO Magazine named her one of its Top 50 "thinkers, doers and visionaries transforming American politics"
A lot of people think civilization can keep going on as before with imbeciles like her running it.

Furthermore, women should not be allowed to vote.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot