Tens of thousands of opioid overdose deaths per year. BAN VAPES!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
It’s somebody else’s fault.
As long as it's somebody else that is in an unrelenting hell of daily agony, Hal will probably do just fine.

My father is physically addicted now. It could take him another year or two to die. We should probably switch him to Tylenol and put him into withdrawal at age 92 because Hal wants to play doctor.

Karma is coming.

And Hal, LOVED the bit about people moving to heroin because doctor prescribed opiates were too expensive.

It's the other way around you putz. Prescription opioids are dirt cheap compared to black market heroin.

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Is this why there's currently so much research on non-narcotic pain management, and why the CDC issued new guidelines on opioids in 2016?
You're so far out of your depth its not even funny. Of course there is research. And of course they would love to come up with a non-narcotic solution for serious pain. THEY HAVEN"T GOT ANYTHING YET. You can't run your car on water yet, travel faster than the speed of light or treat serious pain without narcotics. It would be wonderful if they could. Maybe some day they will be able to. But right now, they ain't got much.

Immensely enjoyed your' people moving to heroin because its cheaper than legal prescription opioids' though. Hilarious. Have you heard of people getting their prescription for an opioid filled via Doctor shopping etc and then SELLING the pills on the black market? You see, they can do that because opioids in legal form are cheap. On the street, not so cheap. Buy low sell high? (pun not intended) You see, that basic concept is how drug dealers make money. What a concept right?

You're jumping on a bandwagon in a state of total ignorance.Those drugs are a god-send to people who really need them. As you will probably find out one day. When you do, remember this conversation.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You're so far out of your depth its not even funny. Of course there is research. And of course they would love to come up with a non-narcotic solution for serious pain. THEY HAVEN"T GOT ANYTHING YET. You can't run your car on water yet, travel faster than the speed of light or treat serious pain without narcotics. It would be wonderful if they could. Maybe some day they will be able to. But right now, they ain't got much.

Immensely enjoyed your' people moving to heroin because its cheaper than legal prescription opioids' though. Hilarious. Have you heard of people getting their prescription for an opioid filled via Doctor shopping etc and then SELLING the pills on the black market? You see, they can do that because opioids in legal form are cheap. On the street, not so cheap. Buy low sell high? (pun not intended) You see, that basic concept is how drug dealers make money. What a concept right?

You're jumping on a bandwagon in a state of total ignorance.Those drugs are a god-send to people who really need them. As you will probably find out one day. When you do, remember this conversation.

Oh, ok.

A study of young, urban injection drug users interviewed in 2008 and 2009 found that 86 percent had used opioid pain relievers nonmedically prior to using heroin, and their initiation into nonmedical use was characterized by three main sources of opioids: family, friends, or personal prescriptions (Lankenau et al., 2012). This rate represents a shift from historical trends. Of people entering treatment for heroin addiction who began abusing opioids in the 1960s, more than 80 percent started with heroin. Of those who began abusing opioids in the 2000s, 75 percent reported that their first opioid was a prescription drug (Cicero et al., 2014). Examining national-level general population heroin data (including those in and not in treatment), nearly 80 percent of heroin users reported using prescription opioids prior to heroin (Jones, 2013; Muhuri et al., 2013).

and

and

and

and

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Good God. Yes, it's a serious drug. And yes, it's not without risk. But AGAIN, for people that are in serious pain, there really aren't any effective alternatives. Maybe someday. You have been asked multiple times now what you think people in serious pain should do. You have refused to answer multiple times. Of course, on the street, prescription drugs are very expensive. At the counter with a prescription they are cheap. Ridiculously cheap. If you don't have a prescription, then you have to buy your drugs on the street. There, the pills are expensive and heroin is the cheaper alternative. But that's without a prescription. I just bought a bottle of 60 10 mg Norco for my dying father. It was a little over ten bucks. How much heroin do you think you can get for ten bucks? On the street those pills will go for ten apiece or more. So to recap for the impaired, illegal pills on the street are expensive. Compared to illegal pills, heroin is a bargain. Legal prescription opioids are so cheap at the counter it's laughable. I don't know why they even bother with collecting the money. Literally a ten dollar bottle of legally bought opioids can turn over for 600 bucks on the street. And that six hundred bucks will buy a fairly large pile of heroin now. Heroin is cheaper than buying illegal pills. Legal pills are as cheap as it gets.

I fully agree that there were Docs handing the things out like candy. But there are some people out there who are suffering from things that you can't imagine and in the kind of pain that you can't even comprehend yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
total bullspit. he doesn't know what he's talking about.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. Unfortunately.

But again Hal, let's hear it. My father is dying of cancer. He's on opioids. And he's physically addicted. What's your alternative for a terminal cancer patient?

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
GWS, you’re comparing apples and oranges. There’s no pain reliever that works as well as an opiate, like there’s no anxiety reliever better than valium

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
GWS, you’re comparing apples and oranges. There’s no pain reliever that works as well as an opiate, like there’s no anxiety reliever better than valium
I'm sorry, I don't see this as making any sense.

If you have knowledge of a pain reliever that is anywhere near as effective as opiates, tell me about it.

Please.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Sorry about your dad.
And thanks. It sucks, but he's had a great life. He surfed his last wave when he was in his late 70's. In his 80's he skied me into the ground one year at Lake Tahoe. Black diamond runs. I had to tell him I couldn't take anymore. He had a stroke and that robbed him of a lot. He still knows who I am but he doesn't remember much else. He's still happy and so far the pain is manageable. He did well financially so I have him at his home with round the clock care. It's fvcked with my head no doubt. He's dealing with it better than I am. :giggle: None of us get out alive. The last thing on my bucket list is to die well. I don't know if I have what that takes.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I'm sorry, I don't see this as making any sense.

If you have knowledge of a pain reliever that is anywhere near as effective as opiates, tell me about it.

Please.
There is not a better pain reliever than an opiate.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The apples and oranges comment had to do with prescribed opiates (which would be quite inexpensive) vs street opiates

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias

But again Hal, let's hear it. My father is dying of cancer. He's on opioids. And he's physically addicted. What's your alternative for a terminal cancer patient?
Sorry about your dad. Sincerely.
I'm going through something similar.
There's nothing worse.

Didn't Hal said that opiates should be available to cancer patients and end of life care?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

Sorry to hear about your father.

In one of my previous posts I was saying that opioids weren’t meant for management of non-cancer and end-of-life pain.

In your case these drugs are the only option.