Tenerife for winter - north?

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Going there mid january with the gf, she'll be studying in puerto de la cruz and i reckon ill be there till march or so.

Read that predominant wind is northeast so question is how blownout is the north coast really? Its also quite exposed, so i reckon winter it will have too much swell, which means perhaps it wraps around well enough to the east coast then?

Also crowds: Heard its quite localized, fine by me, but how crowded is it really? Would like to get away from the horrible eurokook mob we always have to deal with in portugal.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Going there mid january with the gf, she'll be studying in puerto de la cruz and i reckon ill be there till march or so.

Read that predominant wind is northeast so question is how blownout is the north coast really? Its also quite exposed, so i reckon winter it will have too much swell, which means perhaps it wraps around well enough to the east coast then?

Also crowds: Heard its quite localized, fine by me, but how crowded is it really? Would like to get away from the horrible eurokook mob we always have to deal with in portugal.
Spent the last winter on tenerife, here's my 2ct.

Wind isn't too much of an issue, but the north coast tends to get a lot / too much swell. Bajamar has spots to cope with that, further south (Playa Las Americas etc.) is typically a bit smaller (depending on swell direction too). Las Americas is also where you'll find the highest quality waves. Haven't surfed the east coast much, but it does get some fun little wind swells.

Some spots get pretty crowded (Las americas and the spots next to it), vibe in the water isn't exactly mellow either. There have been a few beatings in the water and several occasions where I wouldn't even think about sitting right on the peak (being a blond euro semi kook myself). I tried to avoid late afternoon sessions and wasn't surfing as much on the weekends, that helped for sure.

Reactions: Barracuda

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Spent the last winter on tenerife, here's my 2ct.

Wind isn't too much of an issue, but the north coast tends to get a lot / too much swell. Bajamar has spots to cope with that, further south (Playa Las Americas etc.) is typically a bit smaller (depending on swell direction too). Las Americas is also where you'll find the highest quality waves. Haven't surfed the east coast much, but it does get some fun little wind swells.

Some spots get pretty crowded (Las americas and the spots next to it), vibe in the water isn't exactly mellow either. There have been a few beatings in the water and several occasions where I wouldn't even think about sitting right on the peak (being a blond euro semi kook myself). I tried to avoid late afternoon sessions and wasn't surfing as much on the weekends, that helped for sure.
Thanks, hope when i get there there will be a couple corners to dodge the swell a bit. Been living landlocked since the pandemic started and am pretty sure it will take a month or two to be fit again.

Beatings, well... I've been to some places where even when youre nice youll have someone hassling you for no reason, thats where it gets annoying. Otherwise, shown respect and got it pretty much everywhere, so if it is like that there, im fine waiting for leftovers. Wanna get the best set wave? Be a local or earn your respect over the years.

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
.Been here a month so far and heres how its been: Las americas is a skatepark for surfing, peak after peak great waves but insanely crowded, even the parking lot is always full. If you get it a bit bigger and are good at crowd dodging you might get a couple of good ones. Love the place, hate the crowds, but oh well... im part of the crowds too.

Got a couple other good days around the island and been surprised how powerful waves are, felt pretty undergunned a few times and swells rise quickly here. Always a good idea to be fit and watch the waves for a while before paddling in, dont wanna be caught out there on a rising swell.

Vibes are okay if youre not a complete kook and show respect at all times, saw a dude getting told off by a local on my first surf but otherwise locals seem cool. Guess being brown and speaking spanish helps a bit :waving:

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura