Telo Islands + Lagundri

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So what's the deal with swell in this zone? Needs more swell than other areas to get working?

Lagundri is more consistent?

I'm considering it for next April/May or June.

I don't want to get skunked or surf measly waist high stuff.

I was thinking spending two weeks in the Telos and then a week @ Lagundri.

Having never been to Indo I'm thinking Telos because
- it seems the Telos is the only region in Indo where there are plenty of rights.
- while there are other rights in Indo like HTs and Rifles it would be really difficult for me to surf either of these waves to the best of my ability if we're coming off a month or two of knee high surf here at home. I'm not one of these guys who doesn't surf for months and then can pull up to cooking 10 ft surf and start weaving through barrels.

Thoughts on this zone from people who have actually been?

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
Don't know anything about Lugundri, and only been to Indo once. Went to Telos last April for 10 days for my 50th b-day. Had a blast. Waves were not huge, actually there wasn't a ton of swell, but the surf still ranged from overhead to double overhead (what they call "flat" in Indo is a relative term). There was rideable surf everyday, at least chest high.

We caught Max's right double overhead one day, and pinnacles overhead a few times. I would classify most of the waves we surfed as "user friendly" with only a few exceptions. At my age and ability i'm not interested in surfing DOH barreling waves over a shallow coral reef. As it is, i hit the reef at Max's left and did some damage.

From what i understand, the Telos region is slightly less exposed to swell than the Mentawis, but there are lots and lots of islands in this region. So even when its small there is still rideable surf at the more exposed breaks. At least that is what i experienced.

The other thing to note is that the Telos region is a lot less crowded than the Mentawis, and that was the key draw for me. I'm not a pro and i don't surf trestles. The last thing i want to do on my vacation is battle 30 Brazzos for set waves at macaronis or HT's.

Feel free to ping me if you have any further questions

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
We stayed at Pinnacles on Telos. It's a land based resort owned by Pegasus. They also own the Telos Island Lodge on the next island over, among other resorts. Very nice accomodations.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
Three Rolled - super appreciate reading that , Indo is next for me , that just checked all the boxes , as a 50 yearold plus rider those reports are Gold

Thanks

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Telos is a good pick many surf options but increasingly more $$$

lagundri is a crap shoot w crowds - but you can surf all day on all tides

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
heading to telo on monday - will let you know how it goes

Truth

Phil Edwards status