Technology and Dissenting Opinions

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
...and what happens if a platform ignores a post that generates tons of abuse reports? People who feel abused tend to avoid the abusers if they can. A money-making site wants to encourage users, not alienate them.
Abusers don't like boundaries.

It messes up their game.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
How would you propose to make all platforms free?
Big question. No perfect answer. Moving things in the right direction would likely require a multi-faceted approach that would include education, technology, and legislation (listed in descending order of importance).

I think education is far and away the most important of these. Ideally legislation would mostly be needed to fund research and education with respect to the relationship between technology, communication, psychology, culture, and public institutions such as government.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Big question. No perfect answer. Moving things in the right direction would likely require a multi-faceted approach that would include education, technology, and legislation (listed in descending order of importance).

I think education is far and away the most important of these. Ideally legislation would mostly be needed to fund research and education with respect to the relationship between technology, communication, psychology, culture, and public institutions such as government.
That's a great answer, but lol.

The only way you make all platforms completely free is to regulate the sh!t out of them. And at that point, why would anyone start a new platform? Rather, the focus would be on setting up technology to do the same thing but in a manner that's not regulated. Nobody is starting a business they will only have minimal control over.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
That's a great answer, but lol.

The only way you make all platforms completely free is to regulate the sh!t out of them. And at that point, why would anyone start a new platform? Rather, the focus would be on setting up technology to do the same thing but in a manner that's not regulated. Nobody is starting a business they will only have minimal control over.
Dude, I don't even believe "completely free" is a thing.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas

Education, huh? Does that mean the untrainable will have no access?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

alot of words, saying very little.

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

To be honest, I agree with Cal Newport that everyone should quit social media. I'm all for a peer-to-peer system that allows me to stay in contact with my friends. If this same thing were used for sales and marketing, it would be equivalent to something like using the Tor browser on the dark web. I don't know anything about this.

Thinking back through some products I just bought or wanted to buy, social media played no part in them. I ordered a Mayhem through Catalyst. Someone on here recommended that to me. I ordered another board from a local shaper because I got his business card through another guy in the parking lot and called him up. I went on both these guys' (Mayhem and ADS_Surfboards) instagram and didn't get any of the information I needed. It was useless.

As an online storefront, Facebook sucks. To find customers, it probably sucks too since most are in a certain demographic (older).

YouTube is becoming like the Home Shopping Network where everyone is trying to monetize their relationship with brands by gargling the balls of the brand and giving uncritical reviews. I also use it for DIY advice, but this is disappearing more and more as content creators realize they're not going to make money off of YouTube (LOuis Rossman and Eli the Computer Guy talk about the bubble bursting). The alternatives (Bitchute, Library, MInds, etc) have some interesting talking heads and some DIY but a lot of kooks and a weird interface.

Twitter is a fever swamp. I have no idea why it exists or how it makes money other than through 3-letter agencies at home and abroad. Great for COINTELPRO, not much good for anything else.

OVerall, social media is useless and a form of digital sharecropping. You can educate people on its use but that education would have to somehow make users more moral and ethical. That has a huge "Last Mile" problem.

Search engines are probably the main thing in need of trust-busting. Everyone else can host their own site and let the search engine crawl it. If Google is the monopoly and its search results are getting a lot worse (they are), the customer is harmed and needs alternatives.

Reactions: Ifallalot

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
To be honest, I agree with Cal Newport that everyone should quit social media. I'm all for a peer-to-peer system that allows me to stay in contact with my friends. If this same thing were used for sales and marketing, it would be equivalent to something like using the Tor browser on the dark web. I don't know anything about this.

Thinking back through some products I just bought or wanted to buy, social media played no part in them. I ordered a Mayhem through Catalyst. Someone on here recommended that to me. I ordered another board from a local shaper because I got his business card through another guy in the parking lot and called him up. I went on both these guys' (Mayhem and ADS_Surfboards) instagram and didn't get any of the information I needed. It was useless.

As an online storefront, Facebook sucks. To find customers, it probably sucks too since most are in a certain demographic (older).

YouTube is becoming like the Home Shopping Network where everyone is trying to monetize their relationship with brands by gargling the balls of the brand and giving uncritical reviews. I also use it for DIY advice, but this is disappearing more and more as content creators realize they're not going to make money off of YouTube (LOuis Rossman and Eli the Computer Guy talk about the bubble bursting). The alternatives (Bitchute, Library, MInds, etc) have some interesting talking heads and some DIY but a lot of kooks and a weird interface.

Twitter is a fever swamp. I have no idea why it exists or how it makes money other than through 3-letter agencies at home and abroad. Great for COINTELPRO, not much good for anything else.

OVerall, social media is useless and a form of digital sharecropping. You can educate people on its use but that education would have to somehow make users more moral and ethical. That has a huge "Last Mile" problem.

Search engines are probably the main thing in need of trust-busting. Everyone else can host their own site and let the search engine crawl it. If Google is the monopoly and its search results are getting a lot worse (they are), the customer is harmed and needs alternatives.
Not a monopoly.