Technology and Dissenting Opinions

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Twitter could easily have told the government to fook off. It's not like they operate under an FCC license or anything like that.
Sure . . .. and there would be no repercussions for not playing ball, right? :roflmao:Like, the government has never called for the IRS to audit on someone they didn't like, right? :unsure: :roflmao:

Again- the point isn't whether or not twitter is allowed to act this way or not. It's whether the federal government should be using private businesses as a proxy for their dirty work that they themselves are not allowed to do.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Again- the point isn't whether or not twitter is allowed to act this way or not. It's whether the federal government should be using private businesses as a proxy for their dirty work that they themselves are not allowed to do.

while I completely agree with you, down here in Florida our government is regulating and punishing businesses for what people can say about him.

so…..

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
while I completely agree with you, down here in Florida our government is regulating and punishing businesses for what people can say about him.

so…..
So, wutaboutism? Yes, that’s bad. I don’t live in Florida. Sounds unconstitutional and would not survive a higher court, it it would require someone going through the risks and challenges of fighting it.

Reactions: twinzerfan

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
So, wutaboutism? Yes, that’s bad. I don’t live in Florida. Sounds unconstitutional and would not survive a higher court, it it would require someone going through the risks and challenges of fighting it.
not intentionally wutabouting, my point is that this is all f ed up.

you know, rocks and glass houses

Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
100% agree.
I used BBC as an example because a lot of people in Americas think it's a commie news source and that it's "government run". lolo

As this thread clearly shows, trying to enforce any kind of journalistic ethic would be viewed as an attack on 1A.

There are just way too many people who benefit from spreading misinformation, from corporations to GromsDads who must have their bias confirmation fix daily.
I saw this bullshit headline on CNN...something like:

BBC anchor pulled from air for making social media post about British immigration policy

now, based on that, you'd simply assume that he went on some weird racist rant about keeping the Poles and Serbs off English soil

however!

he said that the new, restrictive immigration policies were cruel and draconian and he wanted to see England do a better job taking care of immigrants seeking asylum

so the BBC took him off the air and now other on camera people are boycotting their shows

everything is so fkn upside down in this simulation, man

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
We essentially gave these platforms power and continue to do so. Nobody props them up more than the users. I’ve seen some completely heinous analogies attempted by some of the big names supposedly in the name of free speech.

the reality is it’s just clout chasing. I can’t say I can think of a genuine figure on social media just the same as in traditional media.

with the deep fakes and ai bot stuff, I think we’re kind of fucked. I blows my mind there was no foresight to where that will undoubtedly go.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Anybody who believes in actual free speech should believe that. There's nothing about the idea of free speech that says it has to be truthful.
There's nothing about the idea of free speech that says that somebody has to give you the platform to spread misinformation.

As always, babies don't like consequences.

• Haha