Technique and Coaching

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I was surfing my local spot the other day and I managed to get a small backside barrel and then a nice turn right after. Two of the local groms, who hang out with my daughter and I have known since they were in diapers, saw the wave and said it looked solid. I appreciate them lying to me like that, it really shows they were raised correctly.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm too old to hire a surf coach, it would be weird. Every opportunity I get to learn from a friend, or anyone around, who surfs really good, I'll take that. If someone who rips is like "hey, you're going too deep" or "where was the spray? Thought you'd hit the lip there" I'm not offended. Anymore. When I was a teen I would think "fvck off, you don't know me" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: jamesgang

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Just because you don't care how great you surf doesn't mean you aren't trying to get better. Unless you literally go straight every wave - straight off Adolph - beginner styley.

Trying to get better - making the most out of every wave with the board you are riding - is inherent to surfing

If I could give you a tip that would help you get a little more out of every wave would you take it?
You're right. I do try to get better. But, I'm actually just trying to not get worse. Which is harder than I thought it would be.

I'm a middle aged man with multiple kids and a desk job. How well I surf is at the bottom of my priority list. As long as I can paddle out, catch some waves, and not injure myself then I am happy.

I definitely will not be paying for a coach or a solo shot to make sure I have some "style".

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
close buddy, long time surfer but not like my 33 years, made a very respectful pointer about driving higher on my backhand snaps. he said I generate a ton of power off the bottom turn then snap too soon Below the lip. Now, I get to and above the lip more often on those rare cherry sections that line up for such a Schwack or three. Pointers can help and then you get bigger more fulfilling turns which is fun. Truth gave me a pointer Once that has gotten me more barrels ever since

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
close buddy, long time surfer but not like my 33 years, made a very respectful pointer about driving higher on my backhand snaps. he said I generate a ton of power off the bottom turn then snap too soon Below the lip. Now, I get to and above the lip more often on those rare cherry sections that line up for such a Schwack or three. Pointers can help and then you get bigger more fulfilling turns which is fun. Truth gave me a pointer Once that has gotten me more barrels ever since
Sometimes the person doesn't have to be better at surfing than you are to give good advice. True beyond surfing as well.

I think a lot of surfers turn too far below the lip, front and back side. Really great surfers used to do it, backside especially. Look at the nostalgia post.
I have the opposite problem. I'm not generating enough speed off the bottom, and often get hung up in the lip.
I just blame it on my board being a dog.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Sometimes the person doesn't have to be better at surfing than you are to give good advice. True beyond surfing as well.

I think a lot of surfers turn too far below the lip, front and back side. Really great surfers used to do it, backside especially. Look at the nostalgia post.
I have the opposite problem. I'm not generating enough speed off the bottom, and often get hung up in the lip.
I just blame it on my board being a dog.
intbiy