Teachers seem mature and well adjusted.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My job is perfect of a chick who's husband is making bank.

At least it used to be.

When they started to put the clamp down on the faculty, making us admin's bitches, the women whose husbands made a lot of money, quit.

If I had a rich husband I would have done the same.

This one awful woman I worked with was bragging about her new rich husband.

I was thinking, "Who the fuck would marry you?"

But I'm picky.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The reason the teachers' unions haven't succeeded against the charter schools is 1) they put their own kids in them and 2) LAUSD and other big school districts would face an immediate loss of double-digit percentages of students (less $$).

The average IQ of a high school grad is 93.5 now, meaning half are too dumb to pass the ASVAB/AQFT. the middle class and UMC have no choice but to find alternatives to the low IQ day prisons so many schools have become.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
This ought to transform Arizona. Since everyone knows a highly educated population creates vastly more wealth, I would expect AZ to be swimming in money in just a few years. Paradise Valley will be the next Silicon Valley, real estate values will explode, people will elect liberals, the whole works.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I told my students if they get a petition to fire me I will get the petition and track each one of them down on the list and fuck up their sh!t in the parking lot.

On a side note, when you teach as a part timer on a 1-3 year contract, one of the main things you have to do is not have a lot of student complaints.

The admins know there are always going to be asshole students.

But when you have a mass rebellion, the problem is the teacher.

And they are gone.

It's alway been tenuous.

A blancing act.

If a student grieves a grade, they will basically put the teacher on trial.

That has always been that way.

So my point is, none of this is new.

You just having people trying to confirm biases on the internet.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sounds like O-chem is the "weed-em-out" class, most tough programs have them. Super hard taught by a super demanding teacher, if you pass it you are good to go for the rest of the program. Active circuit design was mine, 1/3 of the class didn't pass and the teacher was a dick. I barely got a C.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Teachers still worked during covid.

It was actually more work.

Just very ineffective.

One of my online covid students tracked me down in the hall yesterday. I didn't recognize him because this kids didn't have to have their cameras on. IT was just me talking to a black screen.

He thanked me for my help over the pandemic. :dancing:

I said, "That Zoom teaching fucking sucked!"

And we both laughed.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sounds like O-chem is the "weed-em-out" class, most tough programs have them. Super hard taught by a super demanding teacher, if you pass it you are good to go for the rest of the program. Active circuit design was mine, 1/3 of the class didn't pass and the teacher was a dick. I barely got a C.
The first one for me was Calc 1. Probably 1200 kids the first day. A good supply of hot chicks. After the first exam, the class probably had like 700 kids and the hot chick supply jumped off a cliff.

Organic Chemistry like you said is another one like that, and so are the harder Physics pre-reqs. It was to find out, if you had the math to hack it in engineering, did you have the aptitude in the relevant science. Some kids who thought they were pre-med or a hardcore biological track took Organic Chemistry and there was a change in major. Some kids who thought they were going to Mars on the space shuttle barely got a C in the harder Physics and there was a change in major.

Digital Design was tough but that was more 3-4k level, and it wasn't as bad as Microprocessors, which was ghastly. For some reason Computer Engineers at Florida had to take all these difficult-on-purpose hardware classes, but the Electrical Engineers got to pick from a big basket, and they almost all skirted around the edges. They had to take Electronic Circuits with us and told us that was the hard one since they almost all ducked Digital Design and Microprocessors - or wished they had.

For the mechanicals, the Thermodynamics classes were there upper-level weedouts. I'm sure other tracks had designated 3-4k level classes like that.

The overwhelming majority of the 3-4k classes, the test average was in the 30s and 40s and curved. These tests were impossible. One fucking prodigy would get like a 65 and we'd get a 10 minute lecture about how the other 150 kids in the auditorium sucked. It's like, look asshole, 60% of this class lives in the computer lab. They were smartest kid in their village in Uttar Pradesh or Bhaghavhaghabhad or whatever the fuck, and one kid gets a 65 and nobody else clears 50 and you want to give everyone else a D or F.

Mind you, nooooooooooooooobody would put their name on paper to have the professor reprimanded or whatever. You learned after the very first time you asked for anything, not to ask for anything. And if you had a question, you'd better ask the slave labor grad student TA instead of showing your face at actual professor office hours.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am not against weed-em-out classes. It's a barrier to entry to the next level up and that's often a good thing.

Nobody wants to get on an airplane designed by they guy who couldn't pass thermodynamics or fluid mechanics or whatever.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I am not against weed-em-out classes. It's a barrier to entry to the next level up and that's often a good thing.

Nobody wants to get on an airplane designed by they guy who couldn't pass thermodynamics or fluid mechanics or whatever.
I don't think many unqualified people get those jobs.....but there are some brilliant craftsmen that should be given the trade school route early in the educational years instead of killing their ambition with the drumbeat of college.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I don't want to get on an airplane with the automated systems outsourced to India by a guy whose entire field couldn't pass Calc 1 so they took "Business Calc".

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
In our society we think fast learning = smart.

We leave a lot of undeveloped talent in the tank that way.

it's ironic that the big push for equity came around the time they got rid of the developmental writing and math courses.