Teachers seem mature and well adjusted.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Public money for private schools that practice exclusion is in my mind problematic. Private schools can and often do exclude all kinds of kids - special ed kids, poor kids, disruptive kids, dumb kids, kids with fucked up families, etc.

If private schools take state money the should HAVE to take all these kids and educate them to the same state standards that public schools do.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i don't know

there are some excellent public schools out there
Not compared to the private options. Private schools are two grades ahead of the public schools by the sixth grade and this seems to be true regardless of SES.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Public schools would be a better option if they could get rid of disruptive kids

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Public schools would be a better option if they could get rid of disruptive kids
They can bar unvaccinated students and all students due to teacher fears of COVID - they could get rid of disruptive students if they wanted. This would mean a loss of money.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
it did not confuse me in the slightest

this is a mischaracterization

all of the public education alternatives i have participated in have been non-profit

it would be interesting to see what percentage of school choice funds end up getting spent on for-profit institutions
So that means school for profit don't exist?

School choice

DeVos believes education in the United States should encourage the proliferation of charter schools and open up private schools to more students via financial assistance programs, often called vouchers. She has stated that education is "a closed system, a closed industry, a closed market. It's a monopoly, a dead end."[161] DeVos believes that opening up the education market will offer parents increased choice, a view that critics call a drive to privatize the American public education system.[161]

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Just take it back to the three academic tracks:

Gifted
Normal
Remedial

Stick the non-hackers and troublemakers into remedial. Every-day detention for the troublemakers who also have brains that are keeping them in gifted/normal tracks.

Seems easy enough.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

Gifted
Normal
Remedial

Stick the non-hackers and troublemakers into remedial. Every-day detention for the troublemakers who also have brains that are keeping them in gifted/normal tracks.

Seems easy enough.
troublemakers with brains are my favorite!

my favorite high school math teacher gave us a test one time (back in the 80s) with a word problem that began with "little johnny has 3.5 grams of a white powdery substance..."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hammies and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
troublemakers with brains are my favorite!
You don't want to demote them and they'll do unnatural things if you give them extra homework.

They gave us a large trash bag to fill up around campus; didn't take to figure out to just swap it with the one in the trash cans before maintenance got to them. Couldn't turn it in too early though as the jig would be up, which gave us more time to fuck around and resulted in detention for the next Friday afternoon too... damnit, couldn't even get to the weekend. Parents were not amused. :roflmao:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

Gifted
Normal
Remedial

Seems easy enough.
Seemed to work in the 80s. My high school had a "continuation school" attached to it. The ultra remedial and trouble-makers went there.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Kento

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Public money for private schools that practice exclusion is in my mind problematic. Private schools can and often do exclude all kinds of kids - special ed kids, poor kids, disruptive kids, dumb kids, kids with fucked up families, etc.
Public money comes from taxpayers like me, and I’m definitely not seeing the ROI.
If private schools take state money
you mean the taxpayers’ money
the should HAVE to take all these kids and educate them to the same state standards that public schools do.
Nonsense. Kids have to meet behavioral standards and religious beliefs if the school is religious. If the last two years have proven anything, teachers have a ton of power through their union. They don’t even have to show up if they don’t want to. They can get the reforms they want. The reason they don’t is because more butts in seats means more jobs.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The key to private schools is you can keep out the dregs.

But what should the society do about the dregs?

I was a dreg.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Twisted all right. The actual Oregon grad requirements:

BTW the "Essential skills" are (wait for it...)
For students first enrolled in Grade 9 in 2010-2011 or later, three of the Essential Skills are graduation requirements:
  1. Read and comprehend a variety of text
  2. Write clearly and accurately
  3. Apply mathematics in a variety of settings
So I don't know where that meme came from but I'm calling it bullshit.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Not compared to the private options. Private schools are two grades ahead of the public schools by the sixth grade and this seems to be true regardless of SES.
Depends on the school you're comparing to. A kid going to Santa Fe Christian or Cathedral is no better off academically than at Canyon Crest or Torrey Pines. In fact, since those schools don't even require teachers to be certified, and they actually pay less, it's arguable that the education is worse. Never mind public school students don't have to waste their time learning about Jebus for four years.

Comparing those same schools to El Cajon High is not the same thing since you're also talking about a difference in affluence, means etc. The real benefit is when a kid from El Cajon can get out of his crummy school and into a nice rich private school. Unfortunately, that's not usually what happens.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Does anyone wonder why there is a teacher shortage now?
It seems like people regularly ask me about some teacher outrage they saw on the interwebs and I have to explain it's just bullshit political propaganda. It gets tiring when you're actually working your ass off in the trenches.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What I notice was the internet and tech made it easier to pile on more work on the part of admins.

The support staff just gives the teachers more work.

I used to be given my assignment and at the end of the semester I turned in a scantron sheet with grades.

I was pretty much left alone.

Not no more.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What I notice was the internet and tech made it easier to pile on more work on the part of admins.

The support staff just gives the teachers more work.

I used to be given my assignment and at the end of the semester I turned in a scantron sheet with grades.

I was pretty much left alone.

Not no more.
You Christmas Tree'd the report cards?

A/B/C/D is because grading is multiple choice?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If private schools are free and open to all, I've got no problem.

A friend of mine who works at a private school laid out his situation as this-

Pro-his quality of life is great because he has no discipline issues. Troublemakers are expelled with dispatch.
Con- he will never be able to retire because his pay is much lower and I believe his contributions to STRS are voluntary.