afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
he was a priest before he was a teacher

ps. the sky is falling

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I'm sympathetic to teachers' complaints about child behavior in school. Nowadays, if a teacher calls a parent about their child's behavior, they get some infuriating response like, "My little johnny would NEVER do that and shift the blame onto the teacher." Teachers and educators have had to step into parenting roles due to what Leonard Sax calls, "The Collapse of Parenting." I see this all the time.

THe problem is teachers and the education establishment are not exactly on the side of parents who DO want to do a good job. It's almost impossible for concerned parents to figure out what their kids are learning at school in the face of nuclear-level divisive curriculum legislation handed-down from the state request by the teacher's unions. What started as a trickle of multi-cultural education in the '90s to replace pluralism, patriotism, and civic virtue common to most cultures has turned into a torrent of Woke revisionist history and ethnic instruction, but (of course!) no Western civ. This has infuriated many parents. The sex education that most religious parents do not want now gets into gender identity and recent legislation authorizes children as young as 12 to seek "treatment" without the consent of parents. Lately, the teachers unions have asked the governor for a COVID vaccine mandate despite the large uncertainty in individual risk/reward ratio for children, especially boys who face post-vax mycarditis incidence as high as 1 in 2200.

I've been mocked or belittled many times by teachers on this forum for the above, indicating they really DON'T support parents and want to prevent them from being stakeholders in their kids' education. It's true that many parents only care that their school provides day care and sends home good grades. Welp, those are the only types of students they have now. Teachers' complaint that charter schools have sapped talented kids from the regular K-12 schools is a red herring because the elimination of standards and advanced classes leaves parents of these kids little choice. The overall result in this state is NAEP rankings near the bottom. Our state has the least-educated students in the union.

The smart, idealistic public school teachers have been defeated in detail by the education bureaucracy according to the ones I've talked to. It's common knowledge that most quit within 5 years. This leave the mediocre middle or downright stupid that goes along to get along. Reforms seem quite impossible.
yada yada yada.

I can follow every day of my kids' education on line. Every assignment, every test. I'm fully aware of what they're learning. I'm also not at all aware of any sort of divisive curriculum in our schools. My kids aren't turning into communists, they're not being forced to be gay or trans, and they aren't being taught to hate that they're white. They're just learning algebra and Spanish and chemistry and reading the same books I read when I was in school.

In all seriousness, what do you remember about your HS curriculum? Anything at all? I don't. I also don't recall the politics of a single professor I had in college. Not one. Do you remember your sex-ed classes? The specifics of it all? I don't. Were you somehow manipulated as a student to your detriment? I wasn't.

School is about learning how to learn, nothing more.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Since it was super easy to get As and Bs in high school without doing anything at all, I didn't even learn how to learn. Almost flunked out of college because of that. This was back in the '70s, when America was great.

The one good thing in high school was I had a couple of good teachers who made their classes fun and interesting and I think I actually learned some stuff in those classes.

Learning how to write a decent essay was probably the single best skill I got from school - learn that and you can bullshit your way through anything.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If I can reduce my early education down to very simplistic summations, it would go like:

Pre-school and kindergarten: How to show up and get along with people.

Grades 1-5: How to read, write, math/science, get along with power structures better

Grades 6-8: Advance previous skills, start coping with girl attention

Grades 9-10: Advance previous skills, start coping with more of life's jackasses and deal with broken heart

Grade 11: Advance previous skills, intelligent young women for the win!

Grade 12: Advance previous skills, enhance social skills

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Grades 1-5: Learned how to disappoint my parents by getting mediocre grades while testing very highly.

Grades 6-8: Got picked on in Jr. High.

Grades 9-10: Got picked on some more. Tried to find a group of kids to fit in with, failed.

Grade 11: Started surfing, got picked on for being a kook. Took some hard classes, did OK.

Grade 12: Got better at surfing. Got a girlfriend. Discovered weed. Took more hard classes, got into college. Went away to college and reinvented myself.

Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
he was a priest before he was a teacher

ps. the sky is falling
Not sure I agree. "Overly religious law-and-order type setting California on fire" might unironically be a valid entry on your sh!t burning down the civilized world (California) list.

Is this me being alarmist?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Lecturers are contract workers and there is a high turn-over level.

The nuts get weeded out fast because they have no job security.

The kids complain about the crazy teacher and he or she is gone.

It just cheap labor.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Not sure I agree. "Overly religious law-and-order type setting California on fire" might unironically be a valid entry on your sh!t burning down the civilized world (California) list.

Is this me being alarmist?
I'm just mocking this insane obsession he has with public education with the reality that there are empirically more sex predators working in and around religious institutions

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I mean, aside from being unable to figure out which sex they are or deluded that they are another or some non-binary, these kids are bright, mature, well-adjusted, etc.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'll take a gender fluid person over the creepy biblical sky is falling decay of modern society pedo obsessed young earther any day of the week and twice on the sabbath
With fucking crabcake + ham + cheese eggs benedict, and a side of shrimp and grits. Crab and shrimp aaaaalllll up in that bih.