Tanzania

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Has anyone ever surfed in Tanzania? Anyone got any info about spots/swell periods etc?

I'm thinking of moving there in a couple of years and it looks like it has a decent amount of surf potential.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Was there in December, but not for surf. Zanzibar has a barrier reef, so there could be some passes somewhere. Saw a point near Zanzibar town with some mini peelers that looked like it could light up, but would probably need some serious swell.

Tide range seemed pretty big, so that could be a challenge, in addition to the swell exposure.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
From what I know from people in the know, yes there are waves, no they are not good.

There was something I was told regarding Kenya that was environmental that made it sound particularly unpalatable for surfing but I do not remember what that was.

Please visit Comoros and some of the other islands in the vicinity. They look amazing.

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
manbearpig said:
Curious as to what has you moving to Tanzania. Africa as a whole has so much surf exploration potential, the real deal kind.
I've been working abroad for almost 5 years now and it's been a longish term plan of mine for a while now to try and move to Africa. I'm most interested in Tanzania and Gabon, although the former will be way more doable. Senegal could also be a third option.

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
grapedrink said:
Was there in December, but not for surf. Zanzibar has a barrier reef, so there could be some passes somewhere. Saw a point near Zanzibar town with some mini peelers that looked like it could light up, but would probably need some serious swell.

Tide range seemed pretty big, so that could be a challenge, in addition to the swell exposure.
I've been checking this regularly there seems to always be swell of at least one meter hitting just south of Dar es Salaam..

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
casa_mugrienta said:
From what I know from people in the know, yes there are waves, no they are not good.

There was something I was told regarding Kenya that was environmental that made it sound particularly unpalatable for surfing but I do not remember what that was.

Please visit Comoros and some of the other islands in the vicinity. They look amazing.
Yeah I heard that Kenya has sewage and general detritus problems around river mouths.

Who are these people in the know, and do they have anything else to say?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
JJJJS said:
grapedrink said:

I've been checking this regularly there seems to always be swell of at least one meter hitting just south of Dar es Salaam..
I’d imagine that’s tradewind windswell, kinda like what Brazil gets :confused2: I’m sure you could find some fun spots :shaka:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
JJJJS said:
manbearpig said:
Curious as to what has you moving to Tanzania. Africa as a whole has so much surf exploration potential, the real deal kind.
I've been working abroad for almost 5 years now and it's been a longish term plan of mine for a while now to try and move to Africa. I'm most interested in Tanzania and Gabon, although the former will be way more doable. Senegal could also be a third option.
Senegal has some awesome surf. The right in Dakar is one of the most appealing waves to me almost ever, really want to get there some day. I seem to remember hearing something about good surf in Gabon. Good on ya for getting out there, jealous.