Taking your pet to work?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
"The needs of the individual always outweigh the needs of the society."

--Duffy and Ifal
Something I’ve never said.

Also, bring your dog to work if you want so long as your employer allows it. I don’t care.

Bring your dog wherever you want. Doesn’t bother me unless you leave it’s turds or let bark or bite or sniff my crotch or jump on me.

If i had a dog I’d bring it to work with me.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Something I’ve never said.

Also, bring your dog to work if you want so long as your employer allows it. I don’t care.

Bring your dog wherever you want. Doesn’t bother me unless you leave it’s turds or let bark or bite or sniff my crotch or jump on me.

If i had a dog I’d bring it to work with me.
If everyone does it, it won't work.

Have you ever been on a plane with two "service dogs"?

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No it isn't. May seem like it if you think America is the cornerstone of Western "thought," which is not the case either.
Western thought goes back all the way to Ancient Greece and the individual was always valued more than the collective societies of the East. The high value placed on individualism met its zenith during the Enlightenment

Individualism is what separates the West from the East; the short time the US has existed has nothing to do with it

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Western thought goes back all the way to Ancient Greece and the individual was always valued more than the collective societies of the East. The high value placed on individualism met its zenith during the Enlightenment

Individualism is what separates the West from the East; the short time the US has existed has nothing to do with it
Still cannot accept it is not the Antebellum era anymore?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

I guess what matters is what you mean by individualism and balance.

I suspect that we are having two different conversations.

Last edited:
Reactions: enframed

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Western thought goes back all the way to Ancient Greece and the individual was always valued more than the collective societies of the East. The high value placed on individualism met its zenith during the Enlightenment.

Yes the idea of individualism (individual vis-a-vis society) go way back, and is *a* cornerstone of western thought. Individualism as a concept does not place the needs of the individual over society. Some thinkers thought that was the case, some did not, and this is still the case.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Yes the idea of individualism (individual vis-a-vis society) go way back, and is *a* cornerstone of western thought. Individualism as a concept does not place the needs of the individual over society. Some thinkers thought that was the case, some did not, and this is still the case.
The wants and needs of the individual vis-a-vis the wants and needs of society does not have to be an either/or. It's just that pundits like to divide people, so they make it that way.

Reactions: Mr Doof

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The wants and needs of the individual vis-a-vis the wants and needs of society does not have to be an either/or. It's just that pundits like to divide people, so they make it that way.
Thanks you.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Always remember that people will use their dogs, horses, and children to assert dominance.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I'm home today but won't be the entire week. The house is so quiet. Not sure how the older one will handle it. Covid has been the best thing for her. Who knows with the pup, he doesn't know any different.

At least they have each other.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Two real service dogs with proper training? Or two people who bought service dog vests and ID's on eBay?
The latter. Hence, the quotation marks.

We're on the plane and the two dogs are fighting in the isle and then they were barking while the plane is flying.

Madness!

Again, it's the "what if every one did that?" rule.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The latter. Hence, the quotation marks.

We're on the plane and the two dogs are fighting in the isle and then they were barking while the plane is flying.

Madness!

Again, it's the "what if every one did that?" rule.
Yup.

Properly trained service dogs at work are an amazing thing to watch. We inherited a service ID and vest from my GF’s parents for our dog who’s clearly not properly trained and I will never use it. IMHO that’s the equivalent of parking in a handicapped space.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think if you need a dog with you to function at work (or fly), you should probably do some other line of work (or not fly).

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You're saying this as some kind of gotcha? This is the cornerstone of Western thought

Forget this and we die
Narcissistic personality disorder is not a cornerstone of Western thought, it's just something that's way too common in the US.

It's very unfortunate for the rest of us.

1618252966183.jpeg

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You're saying this as some kind of gotcha? This is the cornerstone of Western thought

Forget this and we die

How many corners are there?

Link

Blurb:

Western culture is characterized by a host of artistic, philosophic, literary and legal themes and traditions. Christianity, including the Roman Catholic Church,[7][8][9] Protestantism[10][11] the Eastern Orthodox Church, and Oriental Orthodoxy,[12][13] has played a prominent role in the shaping of Western civilization since at least the 4th century,[14][15][16][17][18] as did Judaism.[19][20][21][22] A cornerstone of Western thought, beginning in ancient Greece and continuing through the Middle Ages and Renaissance, is the idea of rationalism in various spheres of life developed by Hellenistic philosophy, scholasticism and humanism. Empiricism later gave rise to the scientific method, the scientific revolution, and the Age of Enlightenment.

Edit:

Spock and Kirk discuss the balancing act:

Last edited: