Taking your pet to work?

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
With employees spending more time than ever at home, their relationships with their pets has strengthened. As such, employees are concerned about how their furry friends will fare when they have to return to a physical work environment.

Three in 10 employees surveyed by Banfield Pet Hospital say they have adopted a new cat or dog during the pandemic. About 38% say their main concern about returning to work is that their pet will face separation anxiety if left home alone all day.

Employers have offered pet-related benefits to appease employees concerned about their pet’s well-being. Currently, 15% of employers offer pet health insurance, according to the Society for Human Resource Management.

“As employers are thinking about going back to work, employees have a lot on their mind [regarding] what their pets mean to them,” says Melissa Marshall, vice president of people and organization at Benfield. “The pandemic has certainly humanized what work means for people.”

More than half of employees surveyed by Banfield say they’d be happiest returning to work if their pet was also allowed in the office. Twenty-three percent say they would be more productive with their animal beside them.

The COVID-19 pandemic has fundamentally changed what employees expect out of work. When creating a plan to return to work, employers need to consider what is most important to their workers and what may be a cause of distraction — like the well-being of their pets — on the job. Indeed, 72% of C-suite executives expect more workplaces will be pet-friendly after the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the survey.

“Many pet owners [developed a new] sense of comfort and new routines with their pets. There’s also been this sense of comfort from their pet,” Marshall says. “Changing that dynamic puts a lot of thought on the minds of the pet owners around what this would look like. There is a well-being factor. Pets really have a positive impact on people.”

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
My buddy Coho can come to work with anytime, the owner of the Co. encouraged it, although he only comes in with me once or twice a week, he gets a little restless toward the end of the day.
I like walking him to the end of the pier and back or to the mission on lunch breaks.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I don't see an issue with dogs being everywhere.

In fact, I want to see them everywhere. :love:

Like with kids, common sense by parents and good behavior are obligatory.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus