Taking my 12/y/o son first time snowboarding in SoCal - advice?

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Big Bear area should get a decent amount of snow the next ~10 days.
1638922992660.png

Make sure you also do a dawn patrol surf, then hightail it up the mountains for an afternoon sesh. I'm sure your kid would appreciate that.

Reactions: oneworlded

WindowLicker

Nep status
Aug 4, 2021
If it’s snowing you will need chains up in bear. I suggest summit resort on a weekday. The drive up the mtn sucks.

if you don’t have chains head to mt high. It can be icy and crowded so use a helmet.

powder is the best environment to learn obviously

Dec 28, 2019
All pretty good advice. I would avoid Big Bear, sh!t show up there. Would consider wrist guards due to breaking falls on wrist often ends up with a break or painful injury. he might enjoy a spot he can learn to ride a pipe. Helmut a must. Have him work the sides of the runs and avoid the middle and the flats. Waterproof pants a must, he will be sitting on his arse a lot. Private half day lesson would be a very good investment. Carbo load the night before with plenty of fluids. Good gear, especially boot fit is critical. He’s going to be stoked! His face is going to hurt from smiling so much!

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
We're renting a Eurovan camper with a furnace. I might even just load him in one afternoon (weekday), camp in Bishop that nite then drive up to Mammoth so he can see what the real deal is. Though if there's actualy snow locally in Socal, maybe just Snow Summit will do the trick.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
If you're renting a Eurovan camper, take him to Mammoth. The experience for both of you will be so much better in multiple ways: snow, lessons, variety and overall location.. It will be expensive but your son will be so stoked to be up there and learn something super fun.