swim workouts

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
el_calvo said:
If you live somewhere requiring a full suit, including boots, gloves and hood, to go out during the winter, paddling for exercise is not always a viable option.
why? I paddle year round.

jackcheez

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 9, 2015
VaB said:
Anyone here know of good websites where I can pull off some workouts ? We had some drifty wind swell yesterday and the incessant paddling kicked my ass. We don't get enough good days to just rely on surfing to build up endurance.
I used to tie my leash to the diving board and paddle to stretch out the leash. Good paddle practice.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Autoprax said:
I tried to ride and almost got ran over by unobservant drivers every outing.

I would by watching them trying to make eye contact and they would see me at the last moment and get mad.
I've been cycling since the '80's. I used to ride mostly alone, but now ride with a club, and rarely ride alone. A group of 20+ riders is more visible, and has a tendency to reduce the road rage motorist behavior, for whatever reason. When I do ride alone, I always seem to have some incident or another

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Clayster said:
Autoprax said:
I tried to ride and almost got ran over by unobservant drivers every outing.

I would by watching them trying to make eye contact and they would see me at the last moment and get mad.
I've been cycling since the '80's. I used to ride mostly alone, but now ride with a club, and rarely ride alone. A group of 20+ riders is more visible, and has a tendency to reduce the road rage motorist behavior, for whatever reason. When I do ride alone, I always seem to have some incident or another
Yesterday I pull out of my drive way and 30 dudes ride by in their costumes and I was like WFT?

But then I realized there was safety in numbers.

My problem is that I don't play well with others.

Eagles soar alone.

(Jk, I'm not an eagle, More like a mole living in the side of a hill.)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
acnjusa said:
SurfFuerte said:
people over estimate the physical condition required to surf proficiently.
i disagree and offer Kelly as an example.
ok, 46 yo, bent spine, foot destroyed and can still hold his own with the worlds top in his wave pool, or get waves in any top competetive lineup anywhere in the world even if he went in disguise.

that's the definition of a sport that DOES NOT require top physical condition.

in a sport where top physical condition is required kelly slater would have retired over a decade ago.

sorry, but surfing is just NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

no matter what you may or may not believe.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Kelly is a prime example of why surfing does not require extreme physical conditioning like the other poster mentioned.

Not many sport in the world could a 46 year old keep up at the elite level.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Any good coach will tell you that the importance of good genetics can't be over stated.

The next variable is good luck.

Very important!

Highly recommend!

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
njsurfer42 said:
mundus said:
el_calvo said:
If you live somewhere requiring a full suit, including boots, gloves and hood, to go out during the winter, paddling for exercise is not always a viable option.
Same. Just need to dress & plan accordingly.
On a cold cloudy winter day you'd have to pay me a lot of $$$ to suit up just to go paddling.

And then to walk back to the truck, pull off the full suit in sub-freezing conditions and finally have to wash out the suit, boots and gloves and hang them up to dry????

You guys must be far more motivated than I am.

I'll stick with the pool thanks. :grin2:

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
el_calvo said:
On a cold cloudy winter day you'd have to pay me a lot of $$$ to suit up just to go paddling.

And then to walk back to the truck, pull off the full suit in sub-freezing conditions and finally have to wash out the suit, boots and gloves and hang them up to dry????

+1

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
el_calvo said:
njsurfer42 said:
mundus said:
el_calvo said:

Believe me, I get your point. However paddling miles in a 5 mil with gloves is one hell of a workout and keeps you ready for the rare occasions we get surf(east coast).

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
el_calvo said:
njsurfer42 said:
mundus said:
el_calvo said:

Motivated to get the hell out of the gym/pool & on the water. At least that’s true for me. I’ve got 2 kids under 3. I’m not always able to get on it when the surf is good, so I like to get out for a paddle now & then to mix it up & get outside. I like to play on the shoals in the inlets, too. I’ve gotten 200+years rides on knee high waves on my 14’ Bark. It’s not the same as surfing a proper wave, but it satisfies the itch a little. Any water time I can get is good water time.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
el_calvo said:
njsurfer42 said:
mundus said:
el_calvo said:

I've done it. Sometimes you just need to get into the ocean even if its dead flat. I've even drug my kayak out wearing a 5mm and taken that for a paddle around Christmas.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Swim in the ocean, if it is safe. :shark:

In the pool, try swimming with your head up, join masters water polo, learn how to swim butterfly and do it a lot.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
njsurfer42 said:
el_calvo said:
njsurfer42 said:
mundus said:
el_calvo said:

Motivated to get the hell out of the gym/pool & on the water. At least that’s true for me. I’ve got 2 kids under 3. I’m not always able to get on it when the surf is good, so I like to get out for a paddle now & then to mix it up & get outside. I like to play on the shoals in the inlets, too. I’ve gotten 200+years rides on knee high waves on my 14’ Bark. It’s not the same as surfing a proper wave, but it satisfies the itch a little. Any water time I can get is good water time.
What you need is a Paddle Surf Vehicle (google it) or a variation of it. Dave Parmenter shapes his for a pretty reasonable price. Couple other guys make gliders that are a good variation.

A 12 ft glider with a full belly outline to performance concaves out the back. 12 x 22-25 inches wide by 5.5 thick.

I went with EPS and heavy glassing.

Can surf even the smallest of surf. Use for flat water paddling or surf it. I’ve had mine out in double overhead point breaks to tiny channel runners.

Won’t go as fast as a prone paddle board but will go fast enough and you’ll get good exercise

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Would love to get a PSV, shipping to east coast too much hassle. I use a 10'6 longboard for the purpose now, would like something more efficient.

Aug 28, 2017
I swim regularly now that my knees don't let me run much. My 30 min workout:

200 warm up
5 100s, pretty hard
5 50 flys, all out
1 100 breast
5 50 sprints
200 warm down

I do this 4 or 5 times a week. It can get monotonous but it does the trick in a fairly short period of time. Not hard on the joints. Good cardio and even some muscle work. I do miss running though.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
mundus said:
Would love to get a PSV, shipping to east coast too much hassle. I use a 10'6 longboard for the purpose now, would like something more efficient.
The full belly outline in the most do them makes them so efficient. It’s more of a displacement hull than a board.

It’s really fun trimming out on really small waves and riding for long periods

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
ko25ok said:
njsurfer42 said:
What you need is a Paddle Surf Vehicle (google it) or a variation of it. Dave Parmenter shapes his for a pretty reasonable price. Couple other guys make gliders that are a good variation.

A 12 ft glider with a full belly outline to performance concaves out the back. 12 x 22-25 inches wide by 5.5 thick.

I went with EPS and heavy glassing.

Can surf even the smallest of surf. Use for flat water paddling or surf it. I’ve had mine out in double overhead point breaks to tiny channel runners.

Won’t go as fast as a prone paddle board but will go fast enough and you’ll get good exercise
Meh. I like the glide & speed of the paddleboard. If I had the time & motivation, I’d still paddle a stock 12’ board. I do a few races a year, ranging from 5 to 20+ miles, so it’s also training for those. You really don’t want to jump into a 20+ mile race unprepared. 8 or 10 miles in a 4/3, 7mil boots, 5mil lobster claws, & a hat will definitely have you prepped for the drifty, shifty post-nor’easter swells we get around here in the winter.