Swallow Tails

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
By far my favorite tail design- both to shape, and to ride.
I think that Swallow tails carry a bit of an unfair stigma for being “loose” or “fishy.” I hear it a lot.
The reality is that they do the opposite. I think Ben Aipa started making them and calling them “double pin” tails in the early 1970’s. That’s exactly what I love about the feel of a swallow- you can get a lot of width out the tail end of a board which creates planing area and speed, and then it will hold really well during turns and in steeper, punchy sections.
Like having two pin tails on one board- one on each rail.

I think that’s why they go so well on flatter, wider boards- they help to neutralize an otherwise slippery, hard to control amount of speed and planing surface.
I like them on everything.
Probably not the “the best” tail shape for every board, but they seem to be “the best for me.”
Seems like a lot of these guys are just guessing about the effects of various design parameters and features.

Reactions: MrSteve
Aug 18, 2012
I really like my swallow tail board but I always worry about having one the triangles stab me. It's like two noses on the back. Only downside I see vs a squash or round.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I really like my swallow tail board but I always worry about having one the triangles stab me. It's like two noses on the back. Only downside I see vs a squash or round.
Lol.

I will admit old habits die hard and the way I tug/kick at my leash to bring the board back to me, after kicking out, I catch the tail block, which is fine on a squash, and stab myself with the swallow tail every time.

that said, recent roll call suggests all my squashes are now swallows.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think it was Brad Gerlach who said he could "feel" the corner of the board with the swallow tail and it gave him a better sense of the pivot point.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Where does a diamond tail fit into this discussion?