Surfskate n Show

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Back to topic...

Although I've never ridden one, you don't need a "surf skate" to pump. My 34" X 8" blanks, Independents, and 58+ mm 92A wheels pump just fine.
Already thread for this...

Reactions: LipService

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Stop talking about golf ffs, its the worst thing to come out of Scotland and that includes the scotch egg and wearing conservatively patterned skirts and pretending a bladder with spokes is a musical instrument and haggis and..... see there's plenty of competition but golf is the worst.
BUT, whiskey - that that's a hard counter to all the negatives.

Reactions: ReForest

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
BUT, whiskey - that that's a hard counter to all the negatives.
Just not quite enough to make up for golf though.

Something I prepared earlier...
Of the boards I put in my car, one is a Lost driver, there's a hole in one, one is green and one is a bit rough. My local beach is a fair-way which is a bit of a handicap but I usually hook up with some mates for a slice of the action. This year there's a ball at the local surf club (for subway), where I'm hoping for a foursome, Bunker Spreckles is coming but the Germans aren't allowed round because their word for surfing is golf and we never talk about GOLF!!!

Sorry!

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Back to topic...

Although I've never ridden one, you don't need a "surf skate" to pump. My 34" X 8" blanks, Independents, and 58+ mm 92A wheels pump just fine.
that's correct although there is more than one type of pumping and I suspect that your pumping doesn't resemble the mechanics of turning a surfboar.

The fellows who pump the most efficiently and effectively for distance and speed are the LDP and slalom enthusiasts.

For energy expenditure efficiency the LDP'ers use a side to side ankle wiggle. Sometimes they wave their rear arm behind them, but they also seem to be able to travel effectively mainly on quick ankle wiggles. The slalom skaters do wave their arm a lot behind them, front arm too. It needs to be more vigorous for speed and need more body lean.

On regular non wedged TKP trucks (both the above categories like to have the front wedged higher than the rear) I assume you would be doing something in between LDP and slalom. If you are happy with waving your arm behind you when surfing then that's fine, surfing for the most of us is about having fun whatever way we want - recently I've thrown all proper form out the window and spending my time in the sea skidding out of control doing standup lid. But going into the early stages of a bottom turn with your arm behind you is not generally viewed as good form.

I don't think many surf instructors use the infinity loop, but it does demonstrate the very different pumping involved that is needed to effectively turn our shortboars.

Depending on how interested you are either watch the 3rd video from the start or just jump to 9 mins+ in to see that pumping a surfskate surfboar style is quite different - notably the shoulder rotation and the way the back arm travels from behind to well in front of the body.

I've tried the infinity loop on my Paris street trucks (tall Ace TKP trucks) and can't do it, what stopped me was the 97a wheels sliding out although I could tell that even with grippier wheels it would be hard to keep up the momentum. Maybe your 92A would grip enough.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Just not quite enough to make up for golf though.

Something I prepared earlier...
Of the boards I put in my car, one is a Lost driver, there's a hole in one, one is green and one is a bit rough. My local beach is a fair-way which is a bit of a handicap but I usually hook up with some mates for a slice of the action. This year there's a ball at the local surf club (for subway), where I'm hoping for a foursome, Bunker Spreckles is coming but the Germans aren't allowed round because their word for surfing is golf and we never talk about GOLF!!!

Sorry!
it is - I don't have to participate or engage with Golf in the slightest, and I can put headphones on, or run away whe nthey whip out the spoke bladder :D

Whiskey > Everything

Reactions: Black

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Salsa is back and looking tasty in his Fuschia wettie and a riding a black sheep. Sounds like something from a LBGQT rally.
Sit back and grab your favourite drink!
WTF is that wetsuit?!?
Did he lose a bet?
I guess love is love in TX

I could only bring myself to watch a couple random waves. The blacksheet build looked too flicky and didn’t look good under his feet.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
WTF is that wetsuit?!?
Did he lose a bet?

I could only bring myself to watch a couple random waves. The blacksheet build looked too flicky and didn’t look good under his feet.
The waves look pretty damn good! Does anyone know if he's surfing the Pro Sessions or the Advanced Session? Frothin to get a wave like that left.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
WTF is that wetsuit?!?
Did he lose a bet?

idk about the blacksheet, but I briefly had a lightspeed RNF96, the thing was light as hell and had absolutely no drive

Reactions: trevorbc and JDJ

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Salsa shreds no doubt, but my god, was that boring as hell to watch. Every wave bottom turn to quick flick in the lip on repeat. Throw some variety in there bruh. Break out the spicy salsa

Reactions: sizzld1