Surfskate n Show

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
…Best chose wisely if grandma and grandpa are expected to help with their future kids.
I will say, most people probably underestimate this as a factor in where to raise kids. My mom and aunt both live 10min away and help us out a ton with the kids and have since day one. 4/5 days one of them picks the kids up from school and watches them for an hour or two. When deciding on a neighborhood to buy a house, we made sure they wouldn’t have to drive across town to come over. They are so happy we moved here that they pretty much babysit whenever we ask, even on short notice. I don’t know how we’d do it without them.
And apparently, according to my sister-in-law, my in-laws don’t help for chit with their kids and they live 1 mile away. Another reason I’m glad we didn’t go to Jerzey.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I will say, most people probably underestimate this as a factor in where to raise kids. My mom and aunt both live 10min away and help us out a ton with the kids and have since day one. 4/5 days one of them picks the kids up from school and watches them for an hour or two. When deciding on a neighborhood to buy a house, we made sure they wouldn’t have to drive across town to come over. They are so happy we moved here that they pretty much babysit whenever we ask, even on short notice. I don’t know how we’d do it without them.
And apparently, according to my sister-in-law, my in-laws don’t help for chit with their kids and they live 1 mile away. Another reason I’m glad we didn’t go to Jerzey.
Yep, you cannot get regular child care that is for a fraction of a week or even fraction of a day. You pay the week rate and that’s that. This is where family is the most helpful.

of course, sometimes family doesn’t want to help and you’re SOL. my parents only want to spoil their grand children but my sisters love it when their kids play with their cousins so they help out here and there.

Just as an anecdotal observation, the worst behaved kids I know spend the most time with grandma and grandpa.
See above re: interests of grandma and grandpa. They were already authoritarians so it’s their turn to have fun. Most parents realize this the first time they watch grandpa pull out a spoon full of ice cream before dinner to get lil’man to shut the hell up for 5mins.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If that was him swinging lefty towards the end of the video then definitely not
Believe it or not the guy was a PGA instructor and worked at multiple courses around the OC.

Most people don't know that Salsa hadn't surfed in over a decade when he started SurfNShow...he had been busy golfing and making hair care products (ironically).

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yep, you cannot get regular child care that is for a fraction of a week or even fraction of a day. You pay the week rate and that’s that. This is where family is the most helpful.

of course, sometimes family doesn’t want to help and you’re SOL. my parents only want to spoil their grand children but my sisters love it when their kids play with their cousins so they help out here and there.

See above re: interests of grandma and grandpa. They were already authoritarians so it’s their turn to have fun. Most parents realize this the first time they watch grandpa pull out a spoon full of ice cream before dinner to get lil’man to shut the hell up for 5mins.
That’s the grandparents’ right and practically their duty. They never say no and let grandkids do everything they wouldn’t let me do as a kid. Candy, ice cream, screen time. Mine are old, so you never know how much time you have left with them. Every school pickup doubles as quality time and I cherish the fact that they get to know my kids and are a part of their everyday life.

Plus, as stated above, it’s free. It s big deal if both parents work. Once they start going to school, a nanny is overkill- you really just need a driver and a couple hours of child care in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
Of course the pga tour is a pipe dream, and they will need buckets of money to make it happen.

There are few different types of people on the pro golf circuit. There are people who have a lot of talent early in life and they get paid by corporations to play pro golf. Another type is people who have family money and can make it happen for how ever long the kid wants to beat their head against the wall or until Daddy says no more or they make it. Sometimes guys with no money also will work at high end Country clubs, and if they are good enough the membership will raise 50-100k for them to give it a real shot for a year. Or a good player knows a rich guy/gal and they support them for a period of time, usually that comes with paying them a % of earnings or some type of limited partnership agreement.

What it all comes down to is money and if it changes the player when he/she plays competitively

Golf is crazy expensive without playing tournaments and his kid will definitely need instruction and a full time place to play and practice at least 6 days a week. Maybe Salsa has instruction covered but watching them both swing, they both need work.

The low end threshold for a pga tour player is a +6. Meaning they would be giving a scratch golfer 6 shots in a match. The top players in the world operate around a +10-12.

There are kids his sons age who dominate the AJGA and Junior Circuit. They are already hooked up with OEMs and D1 schools who fly private to Hawaii for tournaments. They are the cream of the crop and if their collegiate career goes well they have agents crawling over them to give them give sponsorship money(1m+) right when they turn pro

It doesn't always work out for these guys though. Korn Ferry, PGA Tour Canada/Latin America/China is littered with these guys. All of these tours are increasingly competitive and difficult to move up the ranks. All of which costs a sh!t ton of money to participate in, and if you don't have sponsors, you better have Daddy's money because sh!t gets real fast. I know a guy who spent 30k in 2 weeks trying to qualify for the Asian tour, he had Daddys money but thats just an example.

There are a lot of Qs warriors with a lot of talent who never make it for one reason or another but the biggest reason is money and the pressure it creates

Funny enough the average pga tour rookie is 32 and those are the grinders who were good enough to stick it out on the different levels of mini-tours and their game finally matured, which is around the age it happens for most. Eric Cole is latest example, dudes 34 just finished 2nd at the Honda in his rookie year on Tour. A few years around he was grinding it out on Florida mini tours.

Golf is a funny game and you never know, but I don't know how moving to Texas helps his kid. All the OEMs are in Southern California, good players come out of SC all the time.

I think others have nailed it, wifey wanted to go and he did the wise thing

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think Noel said in the video that his kid can play more often because it’s cheaper in TX? Or maybe country club is cheaper? Idk, he kinda eluded to it.
I know if you're able-bodied and heat tolerant enough to walk when it's baking, in a tourist zone like the Treasure Coast FL, you can walk in the low season for next to nothing, relatively speaking.

I would not be surprised if everything in a densely populated and wealthy place like SoCal with a year round favorable climate and resident pool was very, very pricey.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
I know if you're able-bodied and heat tolerant enough to walk when it's baking, in a tourist zone like the Treasure Coast FL, you can walk in the low season for next to nothing, relatively speaking.

I would not be surprised if everything in a densely populated and wealthy place like SoCal with a year round favorable climate and resident pool was very, very pricey.
If what Casa said is true about him being in the business, then I'm sure he has plenty of homie hook ups. Not to mention golf course jobs usually come with playing privileges and if his kid is a player, good clubs support that sort of thing. Justin Thomas is a good example of that. Shoot, my course has a few different kids we help in different ways. The golf industry is pretty good that way

Playing cheap golf out of season is one thing. Playing cheap golf at championship level pure conditions is a work of art. Guys spend a life time doing it working in the industry. Playing Sebastian municipal and playing tour like conditions are not really the same thing. Kinda like surfing FL beachbreaks vs Hawaiian reef breaks, both surfing but definitely not the same conditions

Maybe his homie hookup in Texas is better than his connections in SC? Idk, its gotta be I guess, or else he would be starting over.

I'm actually flying to Houston tomorrow for wedding. Maybe I'll convince the wife to let me drive to wherever he is to get a surf Sk8 lesson and let him know his community is anxiously waiting to hear more about his big move

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Stop talking about golf ffs, its the worst thing to come out of Scotland and that includes the scotch egg and wearing conservatively patterned skirts and pretending a bladder with spokes is a musical instrument and haggis and..... see there's plenty of competition but golf is the worst.