Surfskate n Show

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I won't be moving to Texas for my kids.

They can move to Texas if they want.
Yup. It's one thing to give your kids the best opportunities to succeed as you can, but at some point, it's your life too.
When we were deciding where move from NYC to raise family, it basically came down to suburban SD or suburban NJ, where each of our families are. I could've been @Este609. :LOL:
That commuter life (2 - 2 1/2 hrs on a train every day) didn't seem very appealing. Many of our friends ended up leaving the city during Covid anyway.
Anyway, I'm very happy with our decision. Great place for kids to grow up outdoors year round. They can move away wherever they want, and in fact, I hope they go to college somewhere else and live other places like I did.

Last edited:

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
If my kid moved across the country to go to college I suspect she would be pretty bummed if the wife and I followed her.
Glass is half full guy would suggest there could be multiple reasons why parents would want to keep a closer eye on their kid.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Good for Salsa. Personally, I'd have moved to the Jax Beaches or SW Orlando exurbs. PGA Tour HQ is a short cruise down A1A in Ponte Vedra Beach, Golf Hall of Fame just inland, and Celebration/Windermere outside Orlando is crawling with golf industry whatnot. Maybe Dallas exurbs make more sense no idea. But that place is hotter in the summer and colder in the Winter than Flordy.

Smyrna's consistent enough most of the year to do board reviews.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
interesting. what % chance do you give his son to make it as a pro golfer? I know nothing about golf but would imagine low single digits, like 2-3%.
Going pro doesn't have to be end all. My friend went to Univ of Florida full ride as a golfer. He never made it as a pro, but he did get a free education, slayed a bunch of FL golf chicks and works a job he got through people he met while golfing at UF.
Another friend had a partial ride to a small school in Arizona for golf. Had a great experience and no student loans. He's a golf instructor now.

That being said I know some people totally blinded by their kids "talent" and moved to Utah or Texas for football/baseball. Only to have their kid end up walking on somewhere no scholarship. Spent so much time and money chasing a dream with no fruition. One kid played football 1 year at Utah State then quit.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 hours drive time each way to Waco, I guess it’s doable. Maybe one of his homies in the video has a little plane or something.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If my son becomes a golfer I’ll have to kick my own a$$.

and yes, kids can and should move anywhere they want. Best chose wisely if grandma and grandpa are expected to help with their future kids.

never knew why the perceived onus is on the preceding generation except for the fact boomers seem to have done well with their single family home appreciation.

who knows, maybe gen alpha out earns us millennials and I’ll be begging for them to drag us along!

Reactions: oeste858

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If my son becomes a golfer I’ll have to kick my own a$$.

and yes, kids can and should move anywhere they want. Best chose wisely if grandma and grandpa are expected to help with their future kids.

never knew why the perceived onus is on the preceding generation except for the fact boomers seem to have done well with their single family home appreciation.

who knows, maybe gen alpha out earns us millennials and I’ll be begging for them to drag us along!
If I had a son who became a pro golfer I know fucking exactly who will be checking in on the Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines cribs for him.

Suckup one-and-done or Cape Verde? Someone's gotta head to Kiawah and make sure the boat runs!

Polar Vortex? Palm Beach condo not gonna double-check itself!

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If I had a son who became a pro golfer I know fucking exactly who will be checking in on the Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines cribs for him.

Suckup one-and-done or Cape Verde? Someone's gotta head to Kiawah and make sure the boat runs!

Polar Vortex? Palm Beach condo not gonna double-check itself!
Wanting to be a pro golfer and actually getting paid to do the pga tour is different:shrug:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Wanting to be a pro golfer and actually getting paid to do the pga tour is different:shrug:
And having a pga membership is different than actually being on the tour.

I knew a duuu back in the day who’s dad was a card carrying member and participated in fringe events to make ends meet - happy gilmore approach to saving grandmas house, one last place finish at a time.

Reactions: rowjimmytour