surfline is wrong

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I don't understand what turning the camera's off will do? Is this what people who live by the beach and want to surf alone are asking for? I like to have camera's on while I work to see waves break.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
if you think more cams don't mean more people in the water, you crazy

if they were serious about people not surfing, they would kill the cams. they'd also loose $$$ from people like you who enjoy watching them when it's not about going to surf

and yes, I live at the beach and definitely want to surf alone. spring is also in full effect here, which means 20 knot onshores every day, so crowds are not a problem. i have 100% fantasized about what it would be like if this happened during the fall/winter

Reactions: gbg

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Well duh

if they were serious about people not surfing, they would kill the cams. they'd also loose $$$ from people like you who enjoy watching them when it's not about going to surf
There are few places in the USA where you can surf right now.

and yes, I live at the beach and definitely want to surf alone. spring is also in full effect here, which means 20 knot onshores every day, so crowds are not a problem. i have 100% fantasized about what it would be like if this happened during the fall/winter
Define "live at the beach"

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If you can walk is that close enough? Is it the act of getting in and out of cars that needs to be stopped?

Reactions: LifeOnMars

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Fuck surfline. I hope they go out of business. They are just as bad as the wsl. Fuck Erik Logan too.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

I'm not denying camera's bring crowds. I just don't see how Surfline turning off cameras will change the fact that in my county, LA county, the ocean is closed. Sand to 1000 feet from shore. I haven't tried to borrow a key to Little Dume since this all began as I'm sure the rich guys down there are even saltier than usual. There are places I could go surf, but I'm not surfing. *shrugs* I'd prefer to have the cams on. Not have them turned off so I can surf alone and others will be kept out.

In New Zealand the police commandeered the surf cams to identify surfers breaking the no surfing ban. Then they requested more camera's to be added so they could get extra angles.

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
but people are still surfing...

live at the beach = if I surf, I put my wetsuit on at home and walk a block to the ocean

FYI, surfing not banned here yet
LOL that usually just means your parents are rich! so the trust fund bros get to surf while the working man living a little inland doesn't... So all the people that don't live in the canyons / mountains have no business riding motorcycles or driving up here. All the people hiking on the trails shouldn't be here. Go home!!!

Reactions: tacos

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
What's worse? Surfline camera's? Or instagram "pro's"

http://instagr.am/p/B-hzi-ynGmE/
The 3rd slide hurt.
fair, instagram pros equally as bad

So how close do I need to live to be allowed to surf?
If you can walk is that close enough? Is it the act of getting in and out of cars that needs to be stopped?
up here, san mateo, san francisco, and marin counties have all recommended that you don't drive for "outdoor recreation"

so walking, biking, horse riding distance ONLY

what the impact is/isn't of that kind of rule is another question

LOL that usually just means your parents are rich! so the trust fund bros get to surf while the working man living a little inland doesn't... So all the people that don't live in the canyons / mountains have no business riding motorcycles or driving up here. All the people hiking on the trails shouldn't be here. Go home!!!
dynamic in san francisco is a bit different, if you live coastal it's the "cheapest" part of the city. generally i agree with you

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
sometimes when its foggy i surf alone.

when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself. gtatdd.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I agree with OP in that they are making all these statements about not surfing but then showing the cams. If you're going to leave the cams on then ditch all that PR bullshit. One or the other, it's hypocrisy to write all that on every cam's page but then run the cams. If you leave the cams on then say, "here you can watch the surf, please follow your local rules and regulations."

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
This is what is posted on every cam right now:

There’s much uncertainty around whether we should surf or not. In taking stock of the current situation, our view is this: shred at home -- and we don’t say this lightly, as connecting surfers with their passion is our entire mission. We know now that in order to beat the coronavirus, we all need to isolate ourselves as much as possible for the foreseeable future. The sooner and more completely we do that, the sooner we can get back to what we love.

We deeply understand the draw to the ocean, especially as a means to relieve stress in trying times. However, at least 297 million people in 38 states, 48 counties, 14 cities, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are being urged to stay home.

San Diego Lifeguard Chief James Gartland, in an article published on Surfline on Wednesday April 1, said: “By going out and surfing, you’re putting the lifeguard at risk, you’re putting the firemen at risk if you get injured, you’re putting the police officer who has to come and enforce it at risk. And then if you end up in the hospital, you’re taking a bed away from someone who might need it more than you.”

There are many asymptomatic folks out there who can spread this thing -- even you. Check out coronavirus.gov, follow the guidelines from the Center for Disease Control and please review the latest beach closure information in your area.

We all need to act in the most socially responsible manner possible to bring an end to this once-in-a-generation pandemic.

And for us that means, at least for now, shred at home.
Check out Premium Analysis for more details.