Surfing Oregon Inlet

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My home inlet can get pretty bad on an outgoing tide. Years ago there was a good striper bite in December and I took my father out late on a Sunday afternoon. We were probably the last boat to head in right at dark. In the channel at the start of the inlet I got caught from behind by a wave which pushed the bow of the boat into the back of the wave ahead. In a split second we were up to our shins in 45 degree water. The entire deck of my boat was awash with nearly two feet of water. Thank god the engine didn't stall and that I had enough horsepower to avoid the next wave coming and to get the water to go over the transom notch. That was a near death experience that sticks with you.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Outgoing tide... Looks ugly.

Just spent a week at Westport, WA. Outgoing tide and 6-7 @10 seconds with additional onshore 15mph, makes conditions that can sink boats. I only ran our boat in and out at slack tide and it was still kinda messy.

If you want to read a good story about CG rescue, check out the book The Finest Hours. My dad was a kid in Chatham when that rescue occurred.
The movie was good, too.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Oregon Inlet is North Carolina. It's shallow. We rode a shoulder-head high left through there once in the face of a building Gale we had to do the intracoastal waterway Atlantic Ocean-Oregon Inlet-Pamlico-Neus River route on the way to Florida way back early 90's. Depthfinder was blowing up 13, 11, 8, 5, 3' !! I stood on deck doing my best Alex Knost impression as it happened. People who live/fish there have it wired, but to the unsuspecting or uninitiated... I don't know.
Oregon State? I wouldn't wanna find out what their bad days are like.
Exactly. NC not Oregon State. I grew up coming in and out of Bouge Inlet. You learn how real quick. The alternative isn’t pretty. Bailed out more than a few times and went north to Morehead and took the ICW back.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Outgoing tide... Looks ugly.

Just spent a week at Westport, WA. Outgoing tide and 6-7 @10 seconds with additional onshore 15mph, makes conditions that can sink boats. I only ran our boat in and out at slack tide and it was still kinda messy.

If you want to read a good story about CG rescue, check out the book The Finest Hours. My dad was a kid in Chatham when that rescue occurred.
also good CG book COMING BACK ALIVE.
the helicopters get the job done.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yo me and missus subway were just talking about an OBX trip in October

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I have an October trip on the OBX. STOCKED!
I usually spend a couple of weeks a year down there. Covid F-ed that up for me. I usually do a week during hurricane season and a week for spring break. Waiting to see how the school thing shakes out. If school goes virtual I'm thinking about renting a house down there for the whole month of October and just go back and forth and let my boys stay down there and chase waves.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah i think you can travel there now without a 14 day quarantine right? once the summer is over?