Surfing ok with Poison Oak?

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Went hiking. Got poison oak. Arm covered and it's burning like fire.

Ok to surf or will irritate skin more?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Got it real bad surfing a spot that ironically is called Poison Oak Point. I actually got it from my wetsuit draped over my board walking out.I got it the next day's surf. It was horrible! Al over my ankles and legs.
The next day I took a loofa down to the beach and scrubbed the $hit out of my ankles and legs in the surf 'til it was almost bleeding. The itching went away and the blistering was gone after another couple of days.
Don't know if it will work for everyone, But I don't think it would hurt to surf.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Salt water feels good on it, I think, and doesn't slow the healing.

Though it can get on your wetsuit and spread.

Reactions: potato-nator

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Ok thank you.

This is killing me. Arm on fire. I surf OB in norcal so wetsuit needed, but I don't want to spread inside. That would be torture on top of torture. Nasty bubble blisters now and itch is driving me mentally insane. I will go down to shore tomorrow and try washing it in shorebreak without wetsuit. Im desperate for relief.

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Wash the affected area thoroughly with dish soap and a wash cloth to make sure the original oils are gone and you should be good to go.

It can't spread from one spot to another once you've removed the Urushiol oil which is what causes the original reaction.

Just for future reference if you are think you've been in contact with poison oak/ivy/sumac I recommend washing yourself thoroughly with soap and a washcloth within like 4-6 hrs of contact. The Urushiol oil behaves like an invisible grease and you really need to use something to physically remove it, making the washcloth key. I'm super allergic and the stuff is all over around here so sometimes I'll end up getting into it but as long as I get to a shower and wash up really well (i soap up and scrub down 2-3x) I can usually avoid getting it.

And just to expand on how it spreads, the oils are often on something that you touch with your hands and then you spread it around. Pet your dog who just ran through it and then touch your face, scratch your balls, whatever. Bingo. I believe the oil can last for months on a surface like clothing, a shovel handle, etc. As a kid I used to get it every summer. All over my body. Got it so bad on my face once that my eyes were swollen shut. Went to the doctor and got a steroid shot and then had an allergic reaction to the shot and broke out in hives, lol. FML

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Aruka is spot on. I got it really bad several times in early adulthood. Now I am careful around it as much as possible and do what Aruka said with dish soap and a cloth. Technu isn't needed as dish soap is all you need. If it's that bad and it's still spreading you may want to go to a doc to get a steroid. I do that if I know it's coming on fairly strong and it usually knocks it out.

Good luck.

The worst I ever had it was when I didn't know I was really exposed and I was itching my eyes most of the night in my tent trying to figure out what was going on. Two days later my eyes were so swollen I could barely see and it had spread to other parts of my body (yes pretty much everywhere :oops:). Was so miserable. Missed about 4 days of work.

Reactions: Aruka

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Thanks guys. I woke up and arm literally on fire and swollen with red. FML. Bought big bag of ice and put in sink so I can keep my arm submerged. It's only thing that help super cold water. I am going to doc today for shot if I can get in today.

How long until these damn blisters pop. Some are getting big :mad:

Update, I went to doc. He was kind of shocked at size of blisters. Gave me steroid shot in my ass, and tetinus shot in my arm, and prescription steroid cream.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
People react very differently. Our daughter gets it worse than I've ever seen anybody get it. Had it on her face once; both eyes melted shut, looked like a burn victim.

If you get it that bad, cortisone is probably your best solution.

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka and Mr Doof

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
I have it that bad but on arm only. Even doc was surprised to level of my infection. Forgot also he gave me antibiotics. I hope this infection is drops soon. Now I'm starting to be concerned.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
When my daughter would get antibiotics and steriods, it went down quick. Also, next time, as soon as you think you might have been exposed, start taking allergy pills all day every day.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Ok, I can't let this happen again. I should have recognized sooner but I did not realize until too late. Thanks for info. I hope then it will be faster recovery now with steroids and antibiotics as you say for your daughter.

Reactions: rice

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Wash the affected area thoroughly with dish soap and a wash cloth to make sure the original oils are gone and you should be good to go.
Emphasis on dish soap (or laundry soap), not regular hand or body soap. Sooner the better after exposure.

Not sure scrubbing with a brush really helps since it can damage the skin if too vigorous but since oil can soak into dermal layers, can imagine a salt or sugar scrub with a washcloth would help best.

Technu works best when use prophylactically (spelling?) but afterwards can help some.

Wash everything that could have touched the poison oak as well....rinsing a wetsuit it the ocean probably won't cut it. Petroleum based wetsuits and oils have a high affinity for each other.

Reactions: QuadFin

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
He prescribed following

Triamcinolone

Predisone

Cephalexin

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ok thank you.

This is killing me. Arm on fire. I surf OB in norcal so wetsuit needed, but I don't want to spread inside. That would be torture on top of torture. Nasty bubble blisters now and itch is driving me mentally insane. I will go down to shore tomorrow and try washing it in shorebreak without wetsuit. Im desperate for relief.
Aloe vera lotion right out of warm shower bezt cure. I am highly allergic and this cures itch fastest way. I would say ocean water is good and cures as well but make sure you wash or clean off oil well with Tecnu soap before using wetsuit.

Reactions: QuadFin

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
The big blisters finally popped. Nasty puss spilled out and now under blisters is sensitive and red, so I can't surf yet.

Also, the Triamcinolone cream doc prescribed has bad affect on my body. I have so many side effects listed for this, it is making me sick. Headache, blurred vision, tired, speeded heartbeat and others. I had to stop taking it so healing is slower now.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: ~rwright~ and Aruka