Surfing is Broken

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Whoever named this spot deserves an award.
Thanks! It's a portmanteau of Random Guy and his local. I debated bold caps-locking it unaltered, but then I decided that was non-bro mode on my fellow tri-state area peeps.

Although he still gets heckled when he doesn't refer to Queens/Brooklyn as Long Island, which they are geographically but like he says, everyone means Suffolk/Nassau when they say Long Island.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
There used to be a fairly localized crew at Smith Point (not a "point break" just a point of the barrier island chain) which is probably one of the closer and most consistent zones to Shirley. No way they can privatize even an inch of it. it's either public, or full on protected national seashore (also public)
Shirley is a trip, may be something in the drinking water there.

Funny enough - I can’t think of anyone in that crew that was from Shirley hahaha. NO ONE would fess up to being from Shirley, anywhere - you would not be welcomed.

Used to be able to 4x4 down, find a sandbar and camp on the beach. All the white trash ruined it - they’d camp on holiday weekends and just leave all their garbage on the beach - shocking amounts of garbage… so they shut that down. There are a number of spots that could only be accessed by boat… have some very fond memories.

———————————————
Looks like the Crest bros want to do a wave pool. While they’re at it they should open a ski resort at the dump on that mountain of trash.

….

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003

Funny enough - I can’t think of anyone in that crew that was from Shirley hahaha. NO ONE would fess up to being from Shirley, anywhere - you would not be welcomed.

Used to be able to 4x4 down, find a sandbar and camp on the beach. All the white trash ruined it - they’d camp on holiday weekends and just leave all their garbage on the beach - shocking amounts of garbage… so they shut that down. There are a number of spots that could only be accessed by boat… have some very fond memories.

———————————————
Looks like the Crest bros want to do a wave pool. While they’re at it they should open a ski resort at the dumb on that mountain of trash.

….

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I'm on Tenerife right now and surfing is very much not broken here. Just got my tires stabbed. Not even for surfing a locals only spot, disregarding line-up etiquette or anything, but I had the audacity to chose a parking spot that was in close walking distance to the spot. PS don't know if it has been mentioned already but there is a great read on stab premium about the topic

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Laughing at that. One time I realized when I surf spots I feel like I'm a visitor at, especially when I really am, I park way farther away than I would normally. Kind of a walk of shame covering all the extra distance past whatever local or socio-spacial ignorant peanut gallery exists there, but usually I just keep my head down and stay out of the way. If my tires get slashed, then it's safe to say, y'all's got a bad apple there and if you don't regulate pretty soon we'll have these social clubs popping everywhere someone with a little money or influence is treated unfairly by the ruling tribe. Aggressive local bullies take note, you did this(a little).
Having said that, I believe a nice morsel of localism goes a long way, but slashing tires when no one is looking is not what I'm referring to.
Tenerife is the place to be I'm sure. The food, the waves. Maybe the guys brother sells tires?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I'm on Tenerife right now and surfing is very much not broken here. Just got my tires stabbed. Not even for surfing a locals only spot, disregarding line-up etiquette or anything, but I had the audacity to chose a parking spot that was in close walking distance to the spot. PS don't know if it has been mentioned already but there is a great read on stab premium about the topic
How did you find out that's why

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
How did you find out that's why
Educated guess. There was a crew of guys who gave me the stink eye when I parked the car, all of them at least 40 years old. Had no issues in the water plus the spot is well known amongst tourists like myself. The most inconvenient part was my wife and little daughter getting stuck at another beach after dawn for 3 hours. "Lesson" learned, but waxing the windscreen would have been more eco friendly :shrug:

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Tenerife is the place to be I'm sure. The food, the waves. Maybe the guys brother sells tires?
That, or he owns the pizza place where I ended up waiting :roflmao:
Other than that Tenerife is lovely; warm, great food, and today was glassy and solid DOH.

Reactions: MathDebater

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
This probably deserves its own thread in the General Forum, but I think it also fits here as further evidence that surfing is broken. If @Subway has anything to do with this, his mod badge should be pulled.
http://instagr.am/p/CkBT8IsA6KS/
Some of that crew tagged used to be pretty protective of their spots. But they’ve sold out their own town and now move to the next. I’m hoping whatever this is that’s happening to surfing burns out and it becomes lame again.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

———————————————
Looks like the Crest bros want to do a wave pool. While they’re at it they should open a ski resort at the dump on that mountain of trash.

….
MOUNT PATCHOGUE FTW!

hate to say it but a latest-generation wave pool in central Suffolk would probably do really well
there have been dudes trying to raise money for one for years. Maybe these crest guys actually have real money behind it?

• Haha
Reactions: Swallow Tail

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
That sucks.
But I’m too not surprised. Best practice is to park where people will NOT be walking past your car to get access a spot… especially with a rental or car with out of state plates.

Reactions: claw87

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If Tenerife has anything like the Northern European invaders Fuerteventura has I'd be stabbing tires too.

Jul 15, 2008
Educated guess. There was a crew of guys who gave me the stink eye when I parked the car, all of them at least 40 years old. Had no issues in the water plus the spot is well known amongst tourists like myself. The most inconvenient part was my wife and little daughter getting stuck at another beach after dawn for 3 hours. "Lesson" learned, but waxing the windscreen would have been more eco friendly :shrug:
I suppose this happened in the north of the Island, correct? People come there and think that´s like the south, but it´s quite different, and there is strong localism there.

Also, lately surfing is getting very crowded, with a lot of people that don't know what they are doing in the lineup (no excuses for stabbing tires).