Surfing and cigarettes

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Everyone on here needs to grab their passport and I'll take them to some real bad tap water.
It's not all rosy, there are parts of the USA (even in California) that do not meet national standards due to $$$$. That said, for the size and population of the USA, we do a very good job of providing safe tap water to most citizens (legal or not).

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The gay frog water theory explains a lot tbh, both in terms of what’s been happening to this country lately and the erBB (John Wayne’s dong???).

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I find it hilarious that people who vape say they quit smoking and its safer than cigarettes.
no one knows if its safer....yet - BUT - the impact it has on your lungs is alot better. first hand experience. as a smoker - couldnt run a mile/ paddle long distances/do just about anything without huffing and puffing, nearly choking myself out on the reg just living. when i switched to the vapes, within about a year - i could run 3 miles w/o breathing heavy/ paddle out to whereever w/o breathing heavily/ and do just about everything w/o noticing im breathing at all.....so for me - entirely worth it. stoppe ciggies, eventually stopped vapes (still will hit a friends if were out drinkin). healthiest ive ever been at the age of 44.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
On a fair amount of older farm that are close to rivers, in the olden days, a 20 foot pipe with a pointed cap can be pile driven into the water table. There are some perforations on the end of the sunken pipe that lets the water flow in, then you just have to pump it out. Essentially it is just a big straw with no grouting (to keep surface water from flowing down the pipe only to get sucked by by the pump).

In a better world, the wellhead would be at least 100 feet from the animals/barn/pasture/feed lot/septic drain field. But yeah, more than a few aren't, like npsp said.

PS
In college, for some extra credit, got to help out on a rural properties water survey for Linn County (which was home to one of Oregon's Superfund sites). At one set of farm homes, all had their cruddy well far enough from their barn/feed lot/septic system, but alas, the wells were at their property line, and on the other side of that was the neighbor's barn/feed lot/septic system within 20 feet for so. Hope the neighbors don't have hepatitis....

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Isn't SF tap water from Hetch Hetchy? Come to think of it, I wonder what that "lake" looks like this year after all the precipitation?
Same as it looks every year. Pristine and filled to the top.

"The majority of the water we serve comes from snowmelt in a granite basin in the Sierra Nevada mountains stored in Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. That source is of such high quality that we do not need to filter it prior to serving it to our customers."

"We disinfect the water using chlorine. We maintain a form of chlorine, chloramine (NH2Cl), in the water distribution system to ensure that it continues to disinfect the water while it is delivered to customers."

1710519862120.png