Surfing after open heart sugery

Aug 18, 2022
Hi All- Has any one had and recovered from open heart surgery? Today is exactly six months post surgery, and I am dying to get wet. I am a fit 32YO male and am wondering how long most folks have waited and if they experienced anything that they didn't expect. I am a New England surfer, so I took the late winter and spring off because I had to. I still have chest pains, I still have to cradle a pillow when I sleep, and my cardio is far from what it used to be. I'm back to running, and stretching but have been afraid to lift weights or surf yet. I've put on my wetsuit a few times just to make sure I can get in and out by myself (I did it, but it was a pain in the ass). Kind of tough to find information on the topic, due to the fact that I'm pretty young for what I had done. It's been a long impatient six months, and I am sure my breast bone will be super sore after paddling around for an hour or two. Any stories or advice out there?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 18, 2022
Thank you! Yes I can. The killer is the random motions (starting a lawn mower, lifting a random bin up and over something, throwing something heavy on a top shelf). I think I'm ready for an easy surf. The wetsuit part was eye opening! I think what's best for me is probably stretching, yoga, and easy cardio. But I'd love to hear from anyone that's done this.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What does your MD say?

Is it pain that is holding you back? Would the pain be muscular, the wound or are you concerned about the heart?

Mind if I ask what the surgery was for? I have a myocardial bridge. A lot of folks end up getting surgery to alleviate the symptoms. Luckily mine is not that serious. I think I would listen to to your MD.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
owing to a recent local event....a local 60yo surfer had heart surgery...waited
a week...and then paddled out....and, sadly, passed. this tells me....TAKE IT EASY...:cry:

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
An artist asked the gallery owner if there had been any interest in his paintings on display at that time.
“I have good news and bad news,” the owner replied. “The good news is that a gentleman enquired about your work and wondered if it would appreciate in value after your death. When I told him it would, he bought all 15 of your paintings.”
“That’s wonderful,” the artist exclaimed. “What could be the bad news?”He was your Doctor .

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Open heart at 32. Wow, that's heavy. Best of luck with the recovery. No experience with that and hope I never do but from people I know who've had it, all 30 years older than you, the breast bone / rib cage takes a long time to feel good. I imagine paddling will take some time. Perhaps a 10-foot foamy log that the surf shops use for rentals. They are soft and require little effort to paddle and catch even the smallest ripples with ease. Its been so flat around here this summer that I've been borrowing one regularly then actually bought one. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: mundus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
One other thought that just came to mind. There was a company making an inflatable vest for old guys to help them keep their chest up off of the board while paddling to reduce fatigue. One of these might be of value to you. Just a thought.

Couldn't find the exact product but this one is on the market and is pretty close. Check it out.

Reactions: sirfun