SurfFCS.com site returns

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just throwing this out there as 411, so whatevah...

Hopefully taking a trip soon, ordered some travel type accessory from FCS.com, don't like the item, sending it back. Their process is pretty convoluted and two things really stand out:
1. I have to pay to ship it back - no other company that I have used has this policy.
2. FCS asked me for a photo of the item. Like what? Been burned on this before???
Here is their response:
"We would love to help you out with our return process! Could you please verify with a photo that this product is unused and in its original packaging?"

For such a high profile company seems kinda week.

Just FYI

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Just throwing this out there as 411, so whatevah...

Hopefully taking a trip soon, ordered some travel type accessory from FCS.com, don't like the item, sending it back. Their process is pretty convoluted and two things really stand out:
1. I have to pay to ship it back - no other company that I have used has this policy.
2. FCS asked me for a photo of the item. Like what? Been burned on this before???
Here is their response:
"We would love to help you out with our return process! Could you please verify with a photo that this product is unused and in its original packaging?"

For such a high profile company seems kinda week.

Just FYI
I would respond with pic from website of item you right clicked saved and see what they say:monkey:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I would respond with pic from website of item you right clicked saved and see what they say:monkey:
Really like the idea, thinking I am running up against their 30 day deadline so just want to get it back to them.

Man this companies responses back to me are awful, they are giving me an address without the actual receivers name.
you would think FCS but it was mailed from Surf Hardware International.

Sep 3, 2016
it was mailed from Surf Hardware International.
That is because they are the distributor for FCS

The VAST majority of companies do not pay for return shipping. (for example, Futures, Billabong, Ripcurl, RVCA all do not).

Why should a company eat the cost of return shipping? Any company that does is just padding their margins on MSRP to offset it.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Did you order the soft racks? I had them and used them on trips and always took so long to cinch the straps right. Better to custom make own at home depot with long cinch straps and foam pipe insulation.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
My FCS soft racks snapped when I went to cinch them tight. Both straps! About 2 years old, kept on roof.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My FCS soft racks snapped when I went to cinch them tight. Both straps! About 2 years old, kept on roof.
Left in sun on top of car most snap after time I try to use ones with protected sleeves etc. Have real good luck with these :shaka:

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
The one that snapped first was in the sun, so I flipped 'em over and the one that got no sun snapped also. I rebuilt them with UV protected heavy duty straps from Amazon.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
That is because they are the distributor for FCS

The VAST majority of companies do not pay for return shipping. (for example, Futures, Billabong, Ripcurl, RVCA all do not).

Why should a company eat the cost of return shipping? Any company that does is just padding their margins on MSRP to offset it.
Well a company should 'eat' the cost because it encourages purchases. Ordering something online is not the same as holding it/trying it on; sizing can be a guess, so order the medium and large and sent the on back that doesn't fit.
Amazon, Xcel, Patagonia, O'Neil, even local surf shops that are online offer this. Not a stretch and I have never encountered it.
So a surprise, and in a mature internet based world it is a very standard business practice.
-plus asking me to take a photo of it, that is not listed as a part of their policy.

Last edited:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Did you order the soft racks? I had them and used them on trips and always took so long to cinch the straps right. Better to custom make own at home depot with long cinch straps and foam pipe insulation.
No it was the fin case that holds 8 sets of fins. It is gigantic, way to big. Pictures online don't do the sizing justice.
If I or anyone needs that much room for travel, get two 4 fin cases for packing flexibility.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No it was the fin case that holds 8 sets of fins. It is gigantic, way to big. Pictures online don't do the sizing justice.
If I or anyone needs that much room for travel, get two 4 fin cases for packing flexibility.
I did same but I kept it thinking bigger is always better and could always throw in wax and other stuff then carry it in my backback for carry on:cheers:
Also agree with you on returns and reason why I don't always buy things direct from company unless I know they pay returns. My go to online shop is cleanline for stuff like this or even wetsuits:cheers:

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I did same but I kept it thinking bigger is always better and could always throw in wax and other stuff then carry it in my backback for carry on:cheers:
Also agree with you on returns and reason why I don't always buy things direct from company unless I know they pay returns. My go to online shop is cleanline for stuff like this or even wetsuits:cheers:
Cleanliness exactly, they didn't have it in stock, but agree they are great!