Surfer's youd like to see on WCT

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've seen lots of pros on the North Shore. The two that stand out most to me are Rasta and Dane. I just can't explain Rasta.
Both of them look so different to everybody else. In my opinion.
Dane = insanely talented, very creative surfer.
Rasta= insanely talented, down the line surfer with excellent style/power
Both ride “alternative” boards.

Last edited:

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Surfers nowadays aren’t striving towards the CT standard because they don’t have to. No more NSSA or WSA contests every weekend. It’s cool they get to be themselves and their insta content proves it.

Reactions: Chocki

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Mason Ho
Michael January
Bobby
Luke Swanson

You took two of mine.

Mason Ho and Bobby Martinez.

With the exception fo Freddy Patachia, I've never seen a surfer approach BOTH his victories and defeats with as much stoke, grace, and gratitude as Mason Ho.

I'd also love to see Freddy on tour.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Umm Ol’ Freddy is just a little washed up. Bobby too. You smoking a little too much time machine 33% bro?

Reactions: Chocki

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Put him in a time machine and send him back to when he was the same age as the tour and Joel Fitzgerald would’ve held his own.
So would of Shane Herring if the time machine went back before Sarge diddled with him.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
So would of Shane Herring if the time machine went back before Sarge diddled with him.
That’s a name I haven’t thought of in a while. I remember his surfing standing out big time bitd. So much potential. Who’s Sarge? I thought Herring just got lost in the party scene, burned out, and dropped off the tour.

Would’ve liked to see Frankie Oberholzer do the tour just to watch him surf more than in a few Searchs.

Last edited:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
With the exception of Mason Ho, I don't think there are any name surfers out there who could compete with the top World Tour guys under the current format.

We've already seen Dane and a number of top freesurfers give it a shot. It's not just being a stylish or good surfer; it's having a competitive strategy, being mentally strong enough to handle changing conditions, travel etc.; staying healthy and training hard; and just basically wanting to win more than anything.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Bobby would've been great to have on tour for a few more years.
Same with Dane. I'd still love to see him on a shortened CT schedule in quality waves. Marzo as well, but an even shorter list of venues.

Rasta 10-15 years ago

That Manners grom was pretty gnarly in the clip I watched a while ago.

Honestly, I'm not all that concerned with a CT tour at the moment. But I'm sure that'll change when there is finally a legitimate event.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Me, I'd like to see Jack Robinson (RIP 2020!), Barron Mamiya, Noa Deane.

If I had total power, I'd add a "Style" division, where the best 4 hours of surf are given to Steph Gilmore, Rob Machado, Mason, Mikie Feb, and 2 locals chosen by the host city.
sh!t, I'd watch just that all year.

Mason got a bunch of Rip Curl wild cards didn't he? I don't remember him doing well.
Yup. To be fair, though, it really seemed like his CT heats were always in terrible or really inconsistent surf, which just means he's not some competition strategist.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Shane Herring was the pro who was caught with Sarge that was kept hush hush?

That's fvcked.

There was the other guy Sarge was alleged to have taken advantage of from the Drive Thru basically went public.