Surfers from West Oz + San Diego missing in Mexico...

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Man, all this just sucks. Several buddies and I had my bachelor party at Quatros Casas when the boat ranch was still there. Was so stoked to take my wife eventually -- we were planning a trip. Shortly after my bachelor party rager tho, a dude camping had his gf raped in front of him there. I was like, well, I guess I'm not taking my new wife to the boat ranch. I have some friends who just went in w/some buddies on a house down the dirt at shipwrecks. Will be interested to hear his take on bringing the wife and kids down there now.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
sketchy meaning what
the last time i drove the pacific side i got rousted by tweakers at 3am near catavina, a place I've spent a lot of time exploring and camping over the years. we were sleeping in the back of my truck canopy quite a ways off the highway and my girl shook me awake because she heard voices. there was a guy outside asking for gas. i told him i didn't have extra gas. he said he wanted to syphon some and I told him no (modern tanks have anti syphon device anyways). i felt pretty exposed, standing there in my boxers. the guy became pretty agitated and asked for money. i told him no. I could hear at least one other person moving around in the darkness outside of camp. thought I was gonna have to fight a couple guys with my little shovel and pepper spray. after some tense exchanges he finally gave up and left. i quickly got dressed and told my girl to get dressed and put on her boots. i scouted around camp to make sure no one else was out there. i could hear a truck idling and see the red glow of tail lights on the exit road. it was there for a long time and then finally left. i waited in the desert until first light and then we left without incident.

the year before last we were camping with a few others at a fairly known surf spot in the 7 sisters zone and three trucks pulled up on the beach. it was mid day. about ten guys in rubber boots and rain gear got out. i thought it was just fishermen, maybe clamming at low tide or something. a big panga with dual yamaha outboard motors arrived and a couple of the men went out into the surf and got the boat spun around and then all the guys started unloading big white plastic bales from the trucks and piling them into the boat. the boat was quickly piled high with bales and there was a struggle for a couple minutes to get it off the sand bar. the engines were screaming, sending spray high into the air while the men pushed the boat seaward. i looked north and south and at each end of the beach, up on the bluffs, were men with large binoculars. lookouts, i suppose. the boat was finally unstuck and off it went, northward. all the men loaded up and the three trucks took off. the men on the bluffs were gone. it all took about ten minutes.

these are just a couple of the things that have happened fairly recently while traveling down there. all of my friends have their own stories. some much worse.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I've never understood rolling south with US plates and a nice expensive looking truck. Just screams "rob me".
Basically what I posted earlier. I just cant bring myself to drive down there unless I had an 'alternative' vehicle at the least.

Reactions: john4surf

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
the last time i drove the pacific side i got rousted by tweakers at 3am near catavina, a place I've spent a lot of time exploring and camping over the years. we were sleeping in the back of my truck canopy quite a ways off the highway and my girl shook me awake because she heard voices. there was a guy outside asking for gas. i told him i didn't have extra gas. he said he wanted to syphon some and I told him no (modern tanks have anti syphon device anyways). i felt pretty exposed, standing there in my boxers. the guy became pretty agitated and asked for money. i told him no. I could hear at least one other person moving around in the darkness outside of camp. thought I was gonna have to fight a couple guys with my little shovel and pepper spray. after some tense exchanges he finally gave up and left. i quickly got dressed and told my girl to get dressed and put on her boots. i scouted around camp to make sure no one else was out there. i could hear a truck idling and see the red glow of tail lights on the exit road. it was there for a long time and then finally left. i waited in the desert until first light and then we left without incident.

the year before last we were camping with a few others at a fairly known surf spot in the 7 sisters zone and three trucks pulled up on the beach. it was mid day. about ten guys in rubber boots and rain gear got out. i thought it was just fishermen, maybe clamming at low tide or something. a big panga with dual yamaha outboard motors arrived and a couple of the men went out into the surf and got the boat spun around and then all the guys started unloading big white plastic bales from the trucks and piling them into the boat. the boat was quickly piled high with bales and there was a struggle for a couple minutes to get it off the sand bar. the engines were screaming, sending spray high into the air while the men pushed the boat seaward. i looked north and south and at each end of the beach, up on the bluffs, were men with large binoculars. lookouts, i suppose. the boat was finally unstuck and off it went, northward. all the men loaded up and the three trucks took off. the men on the bluffs were gone. it all took about ten minutes.

these are just a couple of the things that have happened fairly recently while traveling down there. all of my friends have their own stories. some much worse.
Damn! Thats freakin heavy. Why dont you guys take gun with you, when you travel down to mexico? A 38 revolver or a glock 19 would be easy to hide?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Damn! Thats freakin heavy. Why dont you guys take gun with you, when you travel down to mexico? A 38 revolver or a glock 19 would be easy to hide?
Dude

are you serious

Having a gun is illegal in Mexico. You get caught with one down there, getting shaken down for $20 will be the least of your worries. You’ll for sure be taken to jail and you’ll be effed

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
because guns are illegal and I don't want to end up in a mexican jail/prison. there are multiple military checkpoints on the trip down where they may search your vehicle. i have had them tear through my rig pretty good. mostly when I was solo, less so when I have my lady and dog with me.

also, I don't even own a gun.

LurkNoMore

Nep status
Mar 4, 2013
Last ten years, friend was taking his van down for a couple weeks at PSC, same area, for WS & surf, epic south.

Was stopped, whole Econoline striped down to get to the dozen bananas he bought at Safeway in La Jolla bf crossing over to MX.

Not having fun yet?

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
A friend of mine forgot he had his hunting rifle in his truck when he went down to northern baja. He got pulled over and went to jail for a while, 3 months maybe. His mom had to spend a lot of money to get him out. Dumbass!

I haven't driven down to baja since 96, I used to go all the time throughout the 80's and 90's. I've camped that area many times without incident, but I've had 2 incidences were I thought sh!t was going to happen. I've had the cops going through every inch of my camp after we came back from gathering firewood,no problems luckily. I got lost driving out of a place once, and stopped at a ranch gate where 2 large pitbulls tried to eat me as I jumped on the roof of my car. My girlfriend, now wife, and our dog were freaking out. Next the rancher comes out with a shotgun wanting to know what the heck I wanted. In broken Spanish I asked him if the road we were on went to the main one. He laughed and said yes, shook my had and waved goodbye.

I hate hearing these stories about baja now. Rip guys

Homie

Miki Dora status
Sep 2, 2005
In 2015, two Australian surfers, Adam Coleman and Dean Lucas, were killed in western Sinaloa state, across the Gulf of California. RIP

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
My parents separated when I was really young - like 9 or 10. We moved to South America, Ecuador (since that is where my mother was born) and I went to school there till I was about 14. The entire school spoke Spanish except for the English teacher so I learned to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently.

All that to say, would being able to speak Spanish well help in a situation like some have described? Or if they're going to harass you, they're going to harass you, no matter how good you speak the language?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
In 2015, two Australian surfers, Adam Coleman and Dean Lucas, were killed in western Sinaloa state, across the Gulf of California. RIP
Those were the guys that passed through OT’s hood, he called them the hair farm. That was an atypical situation on all counts.

This particular event seems strange to me. They weren’t the only ones there, right?

Reactions: tacos and Chocki

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
My parents separated when I was really young - like 9 or 10. We moved to South America, Ecuador (since that is where my mother was born) and I went to school there till I was about 14. The entire school spoke Spanish except for the English teacher so I learned to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently.

All that to say, would being able to speak Spanish well help in a situation like some have described? Or if they're going to harass you, they're going to harass you, no matter how good you speak the language?
Yes it definitely helps, although Ecuadorian Spanish is different from Mexican Spanish. What helps even more is to see it coming before it gets to you. Situational awareness.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I loved this book in the mid to late 90's. I think it should be banned to Gringo's or come with the strictest warnings now.

On the other hand, the next few weeks will be the safest time to go camping down in Baja...any swell on the horizon?

My condolences to the family.

bjaook.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Fucking sucks. RIP boys.

Fuck that whole country. I haven't been back in 15+ years. Not worth the risk for some waves. Would rather spend the money and get equally good waves in Ecuador, Peru, or Chile and a much friendlier vibe.
I've gone nearly every year for the past 30 years and I'll mostly likely be going back this year.

I'd rather get murdered by the cartels than spend an entire winter on the Oregon coast.