Surfers ear surgery

GWS_2

Billy Hamilton status
Aug 3, 2019
I have had one ear chiseled. The opening was down to about 5%. The Doc said he was anticipating it being a bit of a project. Told me he would try to use the chisel but since the opening was so small, couldn't guarantee he wouldn't have to drill. When he hit it with the chisel he said the whole blockage broke away almost immediately. I was out of surgery in no time and the recovery was quick. I have not used ear plugs since. Should probably go back in and have things checked.

Anyone else get tinnitus after surgery? I don't know that surgery was the cause, I'm around some loud equipment sometimes, but the ringing is with me most of the time.

A friend of a friend had the drill taken to him. They hit a nerve bundle on the side of his head. Paralyzed half of his face. Speech was seriously compromised and he had drooling problems. He had been a high dollar stock broker (back in the days when there were such things) and after the surgery he was ruined. Retired. Probably after a big lawsuit. But there is some risk...

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
FYI- to original poster, if you're in the LA area, I had my ear done at House Ear -

Ditto: i had my left ear done by Dr. Slattery at House Ear Clinic about 7-8 years ago. The guy is a total pro. He has done many, many of these surgeries. He even pulled a few strings to get my surgery scheduled early so i would heal in time for a pre-planned surf trip to Fiji.

FYI, Slattery does the drill method. Healing time is longer than chisel method, but he says it gives him much better visibility and reduces the potential that he will hit one of the nerves there causing hearing loss. My right ear is good, for now, but if i need surgery again i would not hesitate to go back to Slattery in a heartbeat.

jkb

Phil Edwards status
Feb 22, 2005
Cent Cal
I have had one ear chiseled. The opening was down to about 5%. The Doc said he was anticipating it being a bit of a project. Told me he would try to use the chisel but since the opening was so small, couldn't guarantee he wouldn't have to drill. When he hit it with the chisel he said the whole blockage broke away almost immediately. I was out of surgery in no time and the recovery was quick. I have not used ear plugs since. Should probably go back in and have things checked.

Anyone else get tinnitus after surgery? I don't know that surgery was the cause, I'm around some loud equipment sometimes, but the ringing is with me most of the time.

A friend of a friend had the drill taken to him. They hit a nerve bundle on the side of his head. Paralyzed half of his face. Speech was seriously compromised and he had drooling problems. He had been a high dollar stock broker (back in the days when there were such things) and after the surgery he was ruined. Retired. Probably after a big lawsuit. But there is some risk...
I have tinnitus in my left ear and it immediately followed my second exostosis surgery on that ear. The left side of my tongue was numb for about 6 months after that surgery as well. Doctor must have nicked a nerve. Thank god it wasn't any worse, like the guy you mentioned.

Wear your ear plugs.

Oct 6, 2017
Central Coast CA
One is completely closed, the other at 95% closed. Hearing tested normal for the 95%.

Question- who has had both done at same time?

I saw Dr. Vetter in Monterey and he said it’s rough to have both done at same time bc it’s fvcked to not be able to really hear at all during recovery and advised to do one at a time. I’d rather just get it over with and both at one time.

jkb

Phil Edwards status
Feb 22, 2005
Cent Cal
One is completely closed, the other at 95% closed. Hearing tested normal for the 95%.

Question- who has had both done at same time?

I saw Dr. Vetter in Monterey and he said it’s rough to have both done at same time bc it’s fvcked to not be able to really hear at all during recovery and advised to do one at a time. I’d rather just get it over with and both at one time.
I don't think you should do 2 at one time.

Recovery can be easy, or it could be brutal. You don't know how the surgery will turn out or how you will react to it in advance.

I can't remember exactly, but I think my ear was packed with foam for 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. Couldn't hear anything out of that ear. Having 2 ears packed like that would drive me crazy.

Reactions: Swallow Tail
Oct 6, 2017
Central Coast CA
I don't think you should do 2 at one time.

Recovery can be easy, or it could be brutal. You don't know how the surgery will turn out or how you will react to it in advance.

I can't remember exactly, but I think my ear was packed with foam for 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. Couldn't hear anything out of that ear. Having 2 ears packed like that would drive me crazy.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Will probably do one at a time

Reactions: jkb