Surfers ear surgery

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Quick update...

It's been just over a week since the surgery. Never experienced any pain, just some slight discomfort with the pressure and my hearing was pretty bad. I went back to Dr. Hetzler on Monday (5 days post op) for a check up. Usually you wait 7 days, but he was still able to clean out some of the blood clots and scabs. That relieved all of the pressure in my left ear and my hearing on that side is pretty much as good as ever. My right ear wasn't quite as far along so he couldn't clean it as well. I can still feel a little pressure in there and my hearing on that side is still not great. The nice thing is the little bit of spotty bleeding that was going on has ceased and I don't need to use cotton balls or anything else in my ears now. Just need to make sure I keep them dry for the next week and half and I should be healed enough to get back in the water. Hetzler estimated 1-month from the surgery date for all swelling to be gone and my ears to be 100% healed. I'll let you guys know if any complications pop up, but it looks like things should go about as smoothly as I ever could have hoped.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Quick update...

It's been just over a week since the surgery. Never experienced any pain, just some slight discomfort with the pressure and my hearing was pretty bad. I went back to Dr. Hetzler on Monday (5 days post op) for a check up. Usually you wait 7 days, but he was still able to clean out some of the blood clots and scabs. That relieved all of the pressure in my left ear and my hearing on that side is pretty much as good as ever. My right ear wasn't quite as far along so he couldn't clean it as well. I can still feel a little pressure in there and my hearing on that side is still not great. The nice thing is the little bit of spotty bleeding that was going on has ceased and I don't need to use cotton balls or anything else in my ears now. Just need to make sure I keep them dry for the next week and half and I should be healed enough to get back in the water. Hetzler estimated 1-month from the surgery date for all swelling to be gone and my ears to be 100% healed. I'll let you guys know if any complications pop up, but it looks like things should go about as smoothly as I ever could have hoped.
Good to hear. Don't rush back into the water though. Make sure it's 100% healed.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Good advice. Thank you. I should be all the way healed at the three week mark, it's just the swelling that will take a little longer to completely subside. But I will definitely follow doctor's orders before taking any chances.

Also two small annoyances I forgot to note earlier... As you guys warned my ear canals (especially the right one) are pretty itchy. I'm so used to using all kinds of stupid techniques I've developed over the years to manipulate that area that I have to remind myself often not to do it now. Hoping that will go away with the next visit. Also, I've got a decent amount of ringing in the right ear that I hope clears up soon.

Last thing, I know we all have different insurance but I'll let you guys know my costs as the bills come in so you can get an idea of what it might cost you if you're interested in seeing Dr. Hetzler for the surgery. :cheers:

Reactions: grapedrink

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Good advice. Thank you. I should be all the way healed at the three week mark, it's just the swelling that will take a little longer to completely subside. But I will definitely follow doctor's orders before taking any chances.

Also two small annoyances I forgot to note earlier... As you guys warned my ear canals (especially the right one) are pretty itchy. I'm so used to using all kinds of stupid techniques I've developed over the years to manipulate that area that I have to remind myself often not to do it now. Hoping that will go away with the next visit. Also, I've got a decent amount of ringing in the right ear that I hope clears up soon.

Last thing, I know we all have different insurance but I'll let you guys know my costs as the bills come in so you can get an idea of what it might cost you if you're interested in seeing Dr. Hetzler for the surgery. :cheers:
For your itchy ears-

Dog-cone-the-right-choice-for-your-lab-LS-long.jpg

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016

Another week, and another cleaning you should be past the itchy part. I ended up about $2,200.00 out of pocket, after all was said and done.

Reactions: sizzld1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
$2200 aint bad at all in the grand scheme of things. Might put that on the docket for next year and fund the 125 plan for some tax free action :beer:

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Thanks for the updates. I'm saving his info. I might even drive from down south to have Hetzler do it based on these experiences, and information I read about him and his process.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Thanks johnson7. My insurance isn't the greatest, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up paying more, but that gives me some serious hope! And no matter what it will be cheaper than doing two separately which is what Osborne Head and Neck Clinic and Westside Head and Neck Clinic insisted on down here. Not to mention Osborne trying to push me into using a surgery center that isn't covered by my insurance by telling me it could take months to get an appointment in their usual surgery center at Cedars at a time I had zero hearing in my left ear. That would have cost $7500...per ear.

I would definitely recommend the trip scdad. When I called them they offered dates for the surgery less than two weeks out. The only thing they require is a clean covid test within 4-5 days of your visit, a recent hearing test to establish a baseline, and a pre-op appointment with Hetzler the day before the surgery. The clinic down here made me get an MRI (or maybe a CAT scan, I mix them up) and Hetzler didn't ever bother looking at it. Plus you can do all your post-op visits with your local ENT. Assuming you have someone to drive and you aren't overly sensitive to after effects from general anesthesia, you could easily show up in SC on Monday, meet the doctor that afternoon for a 30 minute exam, get the surgery Tuesday, and drive home Wednesday.

Reactions: scdad

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks johnson7. My insurance isn't the greatest, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up paying more, but that gives me some serious hope! And no matter what it will be cheaper than doing two separately which is what Osborne Head and Neck Clinic and Westside Head and Neck Clinic insisted on down here. Not to mention Osborne trying to push me into using a surgery center that isn't covered by my insurance by telling me it could take months to get an appointment in their usual surgery center at Cedars at a time I had zero hearing in my left ear. That would have cost $7500...per ear.

I would definitely recommend the trip scdad. When I called them they offered dates for the surgery less than two weeks out. The only thing they require is a clean covid test within 4-5 days of your visit, a recent hearing test to establish a baseline, and a pre-op appointment with Hetzler the day before the surgery. The clinic down here made me get an MRI (or maybe a CAT scan, I mix them up) and Hetzler didn't ever bother looking at it. Plus you can do all your post-op visits with your local ENT. Assuming you have someone to drive and you aren't overly sensitive to after effects from general anesthesia, you could easily show up in SC on Monday, meet the doctor that afternoon for a 30 minute exam, get the surgery Tuesday, and drive home Wednesday.
Glad it worked out for you! I'm still not used to being able to hear after taking my ear plugs out, after each session.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to have to pay so much out of pocket either, but it's been forever since I've had a procedure done too.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
First bill came in this morning for $2450. The bill isn't really itemized, but it seems to cover Dr. Hetzler's fees. If I'm lucky that will be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Cruz Surgery Center sends a separate bill for using the facility and anesthesia.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: One-Off

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I had to pay them up front, right before the surgery, like $700? Oh and I just got another bill from the anesthesiologist, for $145, I think my policy is $3,000 out of pocket for the year, and 20% after that, either way it was totally worth it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
First bill came in this morning for $2450. The bill isn't really itemized, but it seems to cover Dr. Hetzler's fees. If I'm luck that will be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Cruz Surgery Center sends a separate bill for using the facility and anesthesia.
I have a HMO that paid for everything. I had a really good primary care physician, so having an HMO was never an issue. It didn't hurt that he had the same surname either. He retired, or was forced out, when Healthcare Partners became Optum. The list of doctors available were all young, some with no reviews. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Had my last follow up today. Should have been a week ago, but had trouble getting an earlier appointment. Anyway, got the go ahead to do anything I like. Sounds like things healed up nicely. No more ringing in the ears either. Stocked!

Also, I got a letter from my insurance yesterday and it looks like I still owe about $1,600 and change to the anesthesiologist. That makes the grand total $4k and change. Not bad for an out-of-network surgery under my insurance plan. For comparison, I paid almost $10k out of pocket a year and a half ago to get my sinuses cleaned out at an out of network surgery center.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. See you in the water!