Surfers ear surgery

Belchfire1

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 27, 2013
Leucadia
I'm thinking it's time. 90% blocked in L ear 80% in R ear.
Has anyone had it done recently? Chisel or Drill seem to be the 2 options.
Any opinions?

Cheers,
Belch

rowjimmytour

Miki Dora status
Feb 7, 2009
Rbeach
Any opinions?

Cheers,
Belch
Maybe things have changed but I heard and was told not to get the surgery until it gets so bad that water well not drain and causes infections. I was also told chisel works best. Start wearing earplugs if you have not started. This can further delay surgery and even bring your ears back to health.

Belchfire1

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 27, 2013
Leucadia
Maybe things have changed but I heard and was told not to get the surgery until it gets so bad that water well not drain and causes infections. I was also told chisel works best. Start wearing earplugs if you have not started. This can further delay surgery and even bring your ears back to health.
I agree with that logic. I have been wearing plugs 100% for a few years now. No infections or trapped water. My hearing is kinda suffering and I hope that the surgery would help me not feel like an old man always asking peeps to repeat themselves. ha

Woke AF

Miki Dora status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
don't let it go to 100% blockage. Mine did, so they had to guess where to drill, which took them 3 or so hours. Surgeon said it was sketchy.
I recently was told @ 80% closure if I am not getting infections(only 1 in 30 years surfing) just keep an eye on it.

Belchfire1

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 27, 2013
Leucadia
I've been wearing Mack's plugs for years, the purple ones. Cheap and keeps water out. I've had zero issues since I started wearing them. My surfers ear hasn't progressed but it hasn't gotten better either (not sure that's possible)

Reactions: flyinraptr

kelly7873

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Any opinions?

Cheers,
Belch
I've had both done. The left ear about 10 years ago. The doctor said the growth was shaped like a mushroom, one hit with the chisel and it came off clean. In the OR about 10 minutes but it took about 3 months to heal. Right ear was done earlier this year different doctor. There were three bumps with one right up against the drum. The doctor used a chisel and the drill and it took about 3 hours. My jaw was very sore but I was good to go after a few weeks.
The first one my insurance paid for, the second one my insurance paid like 80% and I had to pay $3000.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Wear the plugs! Try a couple different ones until you find what is comfortable for you. I like Doc's ProPlugs. As for surgery when the ear becomes symptomatic (infections, pain, blockage etc.) get the surgery. I tend to advise the flap and chisel, but you have to confer with your local ENT. Try to find one with experience at removing osteomata. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3370017/