Surfer Ears 3.0...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Been wearing doc plugs for years and usually have to buy a couple pairs a year because the silicone no longer fit tight etc. I drew the trigger and got some Surfer Ears 3.0 over the weekend and waiting....any feedback from others on 3.0 thanks...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
They are nice until you lose them....

Co-worker had the Sealing part get stuck in his ear canal when he removed them.
I am hoping the leash works good nice easy strong design. I use swivel hook for my docs attached to zipper never lose them. I have had earbuds get stuck like that before and had to ask wife to remove for me:oops:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have been using 2.0's for about a year without a problem. I got them because I went through a couple pairs of docs a year and so far so good! They occasionally get blown out but the leash works great.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I have found the cheap Macs silicon superior to all the fancier ear plugs. Yes, you loose them occasionally but you get like 12 in a pack for $5 so it doesn't really matter. You also loose the expensive ones. You definitely can't hear as well but I find this is a feature not a bug due to all the inane chatter in the lineup. I think I have a pair of the original Surfers Ears somewhere but never really got on with them. Moved to the X-mas tree looking silicon ones but they tended to push wax and sand deeper into my ear and caused issues. The moldable silicon seems to seal the outer ear without going into the canal too far.

Had my surfers ear chipped out a few years ago and the Macs are keeping re-occurrence at bay.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

Version 2's for $6 bucks. I lost one on a hard wipeout. Wore one of those and a regular christmas tree looking ear plug for awhile. Eventually gave up on the fancy ones that say you hear better. Yes you do hear better at first. Walking down the beach for example. After a couple duck dives it's the pretty similar though. They were harder to get in and out of my ears so I just use normal swimmers ear plugs again.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've been through most of them (SurfEars, Doc's, Speedo, custom molded) since learning my ears were close to 85% closed off back in 1994 and I'm a Mack's devotee. Every other brand and type has leaked on me and the most expensive (my custom molded Audiologist) ones transferred too much cold (if the water was below 58°) into my inner ear.

I use a fresh pair every surf which isn't that economical if it's super consistent and I'm surfing 10 times a week, but if I'm surfing that much I'm pretty stoked and not worrying about the 66-70 cent per surf cost. I buy them in bulk from either Swim Outlet or Amazon.

I've tried the generic brands (CVS, Walgreens) and they don't stick as well. The only issue I've ever had was letting myself get so cold that my hands turned into Tyrannosaurus claws and broke a plug apart with my nails trying (ineptly) to remove it from my ear. Luckily I had some ear wax removal gizmo (Ototek Loop) that I was able to get the pieces out. That was only one time out of thousands when this happened. I was definitely on the path for a drilling and have been able to keep the exostoses' progression at bay with consistent plug use.

Reactions: need 4 speed

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've been through most of them (SurfEars, Doc's, Speedo, custom molded) since learning my ears were close to 85% closed off back in 1994 and I'm a Mack's devotee. Every other brand and type has leaked on me and the most expensive (my custom molded Audiologist) ones transferred too much cold (if the water was below 58°) into my inner ear.

I use a fresh pair every surf which isn't that economical if it's super consistent and I'm surfing 10 times a week, but if I'm surfing that much I'm pretty stoked and not worrying about the 66-70 cent per surf cost. I buy them in bulk from either Swim Outlet or Amazon.

I've tried the generic brands (CVS, Walgreens) and they don't stick as well. The only issue I've ever had was letting myself get so cold that my hands turned into Tyrannosaurus claws and broke a plug apart with my nails trying (ineptly) to remove it from my ear. Luckily I had some ear wax removal gizmo (Ototek Loop) that I was able to get the pieces out. That was only one time out of thousands when this happened. I was definitely on the path for a drilling and have been able to keep the exostoses' progression at bay with consistent plug use.
My ear doc said its the cold wind that causes damage after of course h20 get in ear so little leakage but no wind should be alright but if you already have damage and h20 traps inside ear you can get infections etc.

Reactions: jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have found the cheap Macs silicon superior to all the fancier ear plugs. Yes, you loose them occasionally but you get like 12 in a pack for $5 so it doesn't really matter. You also loose the expensive ones. You definitely can't hear as well but I find this is a feature not a bug due to all the inane chatter in the lineup. I think I have a pair of the original Surfers Ears somewhere but never really got on with them. Moved to the X-mas tree looking silicon ones but they tended to push wax and sand deeper into my ear and caused issues. The moldable silicon seems to seal the outer ear without going into the canal too far.

Had my surfers ear chipped out a few years ago and the Macs are keeping re-occurrence at bay.
I like the mac's kids plugs, they're a little smaller and the flouro color makes them harder to lose. Not that it really matters, since they're so cheap. I tried all the macs and other brands and always went back to the latex.

Hood + plugs 100% of the time for me. Surfers ear freaks me out.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I like the mac's kids plugs, they're a little smaller and the flouro color makes them harder to lose. Not that it really matters, since they're so cheap. I tried all the macs and other brands and always went back to the latex.

Hood + plugs 100% of the time for me. Surfers ear freaks me out.
Aruka I would imagine hood helps keep plugs in ears?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aruka I would imagine hood helps keep plugs in ears?
Yeah I rarely lose plugs when surfing. Mostly just toss them when they get all sandy and gross after a few months.

I dunno how to get them to stay in without a hood. When I go to baja I don't wear them but I kinda miss them, thinking of getting a surf hat that covers ears so I can keep the plugs in and look super cool.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah I rarely lose plugs when surfing. Mostly just toss them when they get all sandy and gross after a few months.

I dunno how to get them to stay in without a hood. When I go to baja I don't wear them but I kinda miss them, thinking of getting a surf hat that covers ears so I can keep the plugs in and look super cool.
I really believe this is when proper fit comes in but still heavy sh!t eating or big duck dive so I use(d) docs with swivel hook attached to zipper or necklace made of cord and tightner.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I had SurfEars v2.0 (black&orange) and really liked them. Might take a couple sessions of trial and error to dial in the right fit of the plugs + wings for you, and that makes a huge difference as the wings are what hold them in place in your ear. You can hear pretty well, not muffled like other plugs or puttys. After a wipeout, they can fill up and you may have to re-do one of them when you get back out to the lineup, but it's easy and just takes a few seconds. The leash works well as you can cinch it around your neck- would take a lot to rip it off. I picked up v3.0 at the end of last winter because they are different colors for each side (L,R) which makes it easy to differentiate when you grab them. They obviously changed the fit of the plugs, and I didn't feel like I found my right size, since I only wore them 3-4 times before the water warmed up. So, will have to try some different plug/wing size combos this winter. IMO, it's a good product that does just what I expected, and I would recommend to anyone worried about their ears.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Version 2's for $6 bucks. I lost one on a hard wipeout. Wore one of those and a regular christmas tree looking ear plug for awhile. Eventually gave up on the fancy ones that say you hear better. Yes you do hear better at first. Walking down the beach for example. After a couple duck dives it's the pretty similar though. They were harder to get in and out of my ears so I just use normal swimmers ear plugs again.
Bought the same ones and have surf ears, the cheap ones stay in better for me.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have not taken my surfer ears out yet but last night found perfect fit and tried them on. Love the confort level looks durable and leash looks good. I could hear really good with plugs in which surprised me.

Reactions: oeste858