Surfer dies at Rincon following collision with another surfer...

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
One thing I've noticed from watching video of surfing in Hawaii - if you're paddling out and in the
cross hairs at a heavy spot, you'd better duck dive deeeep because the dude coming down the line isn't
going to, and can't change his line to accommodate the paddler!

You're going to get run over and sent in or worse if you cause the rider to bail.
For the most part Hawaii has channels. If you paddle out where people are dropping in you probably aren't going to make it back out anyway. It's. one of the things that makes Backdoor such a risk and reward wave. On a good day you're going to be wearing waves the whole way back out if you try and get straight back out vs getting back to the pipe channel.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
first, RIP to dood in the freak accident, his family, and worse, sounds like he has a kid who will be figuring this out over the next few. thoughts and well wishes to them.

now, back to bickering - It’s kinda unsaid and known who here surfs and who here likes to hang with surfers and just chat on the internets.

apply the filter accordingly to who is afraid of getting run over and who is doing the running over.

:roflmao::nana:

Reactions: ehiunno

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Did not realize how bad things have gotten in CA, people actually paddle out at name crowded spots without being able to duckdive?
Yes. They just sit there. even the ones who do know how to duck dive go for the open face instead of aiming for the white water.

i have a hitch in my cutback but it’s from all the accident avoidance maneuvers over the years.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I surfed avidly for 20+ years in san diego. Never thought i could live without it. Over the years got more and more frustrated with crowds and finally said screw it this year and moved the family to tennessee (mainly cost of living reasons). I thought it would be hard for me to quit... to my suprise its been 3 months now and i dont miss it at all...especially after reading stuff like this. Its too bad this is where surfing has gotten to
Same situation here. I don't miss it NEARLY as much as I thought I would. That doesn't mean I don't miss surfing but FFS if its what I'm hearing it's like thanks to the "new normal" good riddance

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Did not realize how bad things have gotten in CA, people actually paddle out at name crowded spots without being able to duckdive?
hahah people paddle out at named crowded CA spots with their wetsuits on backwards and their leashes attached to their arms. not being able to duckdve is the least of it.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
hahah people paddle out at named crowded CA spots with their wetsuits on backwards and their leashes attached to their arms. not being able to duckdve is the least of it.
And thanks to Surflie, r/surf, social media, et all. pretty much every spot in SoCal is named and crowded.

• Sad
Reactions: Havoc

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
And thanks to Surflie, r/surf, social media, et all. pretty much every spot in SoCal is named and crowded.
all the time ive lived in LA ive always wondered why the kooks just dont go over to dockweiler. a couple miles of crappy waves to learn on with no one in sight and plenty of parking. if i was an adult learner - thats where id go.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
intentionally surfed the kook today after readi9ng this thread.

got 4 really good waves, no drops ins! One guy backpaddled me but I remembered Duffy’s post and stuffed him :cheers:

one guy was out on a Funblard on first peak, almost scalped me as he dropped in on a longtime local.
which brings us to:
confrontation #1
”you don’t own the place man” - soon as I heard this I knew it was gonna be good!
yelling splashing and more yelling until funboard paddles in . I think he was chanting no one owns the ocean as he ran back to sprinter crying.

confrontation #2
few minutes later see a blatant drop in , guy laughs shoves drop in into the trough and keeps goin.
“what the fuck you push me for “ - yes drop in was mad . Wave came so missed how this one ended.

confrontation #3
older BIG ornerey dude I always see out here gets his path blocked on a set wave by kook who can’t get out of the way,
‘they both fell and he was pissed! Started with words and then he cracked him!!! Haven’t seen that in ages :applause2:
I’ll give The kook credit he took it well and did the slow drift in while getting heckled.

I had sooo much fun but I think you guys are right . It’s getting real bad. I don’t remember the last time I saw a punch thrown!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Same situation here. I don't miss it NEARLY as much as I thought I would. That doesn't mean I don't miss surfing but FFS if its what I'm hearing it's like thanks to the "new normal" good riddance
I still think you're crazy to move there.

In a way Havoc is both right and wrong: that stretch from Bolsa Chica to HB Pier has always been a shitshow and the shitlevel probably has increased in magnitude lately. It's funny that the increase would be that apparent. :roflmao:

My elation towards moving up north is probably quite apparent. With the constant raw power, it's like a coldwater Hawaii but with hardly any people and that's on weekends. Most definitely challenging and heavy but also really, really good at the same time. No question, I have been scoring (I think there has been one day when it was not at least a couple feet overhead). And hey to top it off, got a feast tonight from the 80+ littleneck clams we nabbed from the mudflats yesterday during minus tide. :jamon:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I still think you're crazy to move there.

In a way Havoc is both right and wrong: that stretch from Bolsa Chica to HB Pier has always been a shitshow and the shitlevel probably has increased in magnitude lately. It's funny that the increase would be that apparent. :roflmao:

My elation towards moving up north is probably quite apparent. With the constant raw power, it's like a coldwater Hawaii but with hardly any people and that's on weekends. Most definitely challenging and heavy but also really, really good at the same time. No question, I have been scoring (I think there has been one day when it was not at least a couple feet overhead). And hey to top it off, got a feast tonight from the 80+ littleneck clams we nabbed from the mudflats yesterday during minus tide. :jamon:
Fuckin makes me want to move back